Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
I have two upcoming flights where if I try to put myself on the upgrade list online, it gives me an error message, but if I call Alaska, they assure me it shows me on upgrade list. IT glitch? Will I be fine?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by MAH4546
I have two upcoming flights where if I try to put myself on the upgrade list online, it gives me an error message, but if I call Alaska, they assure me it shows me on upgrade list. IT glitch? Will I be fine?
no, you will not be fine IME. If the reservation does not reflect "first class waitlisted" on the reservations webpage, you won't be on the waitlist. Ask the agent on the phone or via twitter to work with the IT team to get the reservation into that status.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS
Companion fare/credit card

Hi All,
I've looked around a bit and can't find anything that states this violates the companion fare rules, but I'd like a confirmation. Does the credit card on which I earned the companion fare need to be open and active in order to fly with it? More to the point--I've booked a companion fare ticket. If I cancel the credit card, does it cancel the booking as well?

Thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Meeluh
Hi All,
I've looked around a bit and can't find anything that states this violates the companion fare rules, but I'd like a confirmation. Does the credit card on which I earned the companion fare need to be open and active in order to fly with it? More to the point--I've booked a companion fare ticket. If I cancel the credit card, does it cancel the booking as well?

Thanks!
The annual fee pays for it so as long as you paid that, then go ahead and cancel.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I have a flight on AS metal booked with BA points. I assume I'll be able to check in online w/o problem using AS.com? I have the AS PNR.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I have a flight on AS metal booked with BA points. I assume I'll be able to check in online w/o problem using AS.com? I have the AS PNR.
Should be no problem. If you install the AS application, you can even bring up the boarding pass on your mobile.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:32 pm

Doing a PDX-SEA-MCO(redeye). Whats the maximum connection time for checking luggage all the way through? I have done 13 hours and was unable to check it all the way through. Heard that the limit is 12 hours is that true. This connection will be 7 hours. One thing i did notice in reservations it now says Orlando unlike when i had the 13 hour layover and it said Seattle.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by gobeavs8
Doing a PDX-SEA-MCO(redeye). Whats the maximum connection time for checking luggage all the way through? I have done 13 hours and was unable to check it all the way through. Heard that the limit is 12 hours is that true. This connection will be 7 hours. One thing i did notice in reservations it now says Orlando unlike when i had the 13 hour layover and it said Seattle.
Don’t worry about it saying Orlando. That is totally normal. My reservations with various connecting cities show up like that all the time.

For the bags, 12 hours between flights is the maximum to have them checked all the way through.

From the AS website: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...e/checked-bags

If your trip includes more than one flight on Alaska Airlines and/or one of our airline partners, we will check your bags to the final destination on your ticket as long as there are fewer than 12 hours between flights.

If you will be in the connecting city for 12 hours or longer, you will need to claim and re-check your baggage. Additional baggage fees may apply.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:08 am

I want to upgrade my J flight to F with CX booked under Alaskan - is their a waitlist?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by dave.brown
I want to upgrade my J flight to F with CX booked under Alaskan - is their a waitlist?
I don’t think there is a waitlist, you will have to call and see if F is available
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by dave.brown
Alaskan does not offer wait listing on partners on awards only AS metal. You have to monitor or call in to check.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Anyone know what has been the current response time from CS for comments submitted in? Still about a week out?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Starwood
Cancel single leg

75k Here- i just had to cancel one leg of a round trip ticket. I did this early last yearand received a refund for the 1st flight and that was it. It looks like AS is now charging for the new ticket? If this is the case, I should book one way tickets on flights that I may need to change? Thanks.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:56 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I am still confused....

The when-will-AA-flights-credit-to-AS thing still confuses me.

I note that when I put this itinerary into my cart, it does show an AS number for the AA segment.

Does that mean that I WILL get AS mileage/EQM credit for that segement?

Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by cblaisd
The when-will-AA-flights-credit-to-AS thing still confuses me.

I note that when I put this itinerary into my cart, it does show an AS number for the AA segment.

Does that mean that I WILL get AS mileage/EQM credit for that segement?

That flight is being sold as an AS codeshare, so yes, it will post as an Alaska flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.