Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska + Singapore Airlines (SQ) Partnership - Earning, Redeeming and Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CDKing
Alaska Airlines (AS) partnership with Singapore Airlines (SQ)

Earning

Beginning September 27, 2017.
For earning rates See Partner Page

Eligible flight numbers (No Silkair)

0001–0999

Burning:

Award Charts:
(see note below for definition of "Continental USA", "SE Asia" and "South Pacific" )
SE Asia-SE Asia: 17,500 Y, 25,000 J 35,000 F
North Asia-SE Asia: 22,500 Y 60,000 J, 75,000 F
SE Asia-Middle East/India 25,000 Y 65,000 J 85,000 F
SE Asia-South Pacific 30,000 Y 65,000 J 90,000 F
SE Asia-Europe 42,500 Y 110,00 J 160,000 F
North Asia-Europe 65,000 Y 175,000 J 240,000 F
Middle East-Europe 60,000 Y, 160,000 J 210,000 F
Continental USA-North Asia: 40,000 Y 80,000 J 110,000 F
Continental USA-SE Asia/India: 47,500 Y 100,000 J 130,000 F
Continental USA-South Pacific 70,000 Y 145,000 J 190,000 F

Note: Chart only allows contiguous US and Alaska as "USA", however, AS connecting flights to Hawaii/Canada/Mexico are allowed. No chart for USA-Europe (though in theory you could redeem SIN-USA or USA-SIN routing on SQ onestops involving Europe and get off the plane in FRA/MAN, pretty high price in miles though). Stopover in SIN not allowed on regional awards (Intra-Asia,including South Pacific) not touching US.
"North Asia" includes China (PEK/PVG) as per latest update by AS. South Pacific is Australia/New Zealand
Print Wikipost

Alaska + Singapore Airlines (SQ) Partnership - Earning, Redeeming and Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2022, 5:54 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by alfrie
I suggest you add the trip to 'CheckMyTrip' App. Then tap SIN-HKT segment to check if there is a ticket number? does it match the latest number that AS reissued? Since AS claimed it was issued properly, can you just give the 027 number to SQ and ask them to attach it to that segment? At least SQ should be able to see what's on that ticket thru GDS.
You are vastly overestimating the ability of SQ agents.
Old May 16, 2022, 6:38 pm
DUT

Programs: MVPG
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
You are vastly overestimating the ability of SQ agents.
Thanks for the suggestions…. I’ll give the check my trip app a spin tonight.

Re SQ agents…they’ve all been helpful and they all see the issue, but state they are not able to resolve as the ticket is an Alaska ticket on “027…” ticket stock. Unsure if they actually have an override button or not 😩

Thanks again, DUT
Old May 16, 2022, 6:48 pm
DUT

Programs: MVPG
Originally Posted by alfrie
I suggest you add the trip to 'CheckMyTrip' App. Then tap SIN-HKT segment to check if there is a ticket number? does it match the latest number that AS reissued? Since AS claimed it was issued properly, can you just give the 027 number to SQ and ask them to attach it to that segment? At least SQ should be able to see what's on that ticket thru GDS.
Update…the leg in question does have a different ticket number than the other three legs! Back on the phone…starting with AS…

alfrie…thanks for the lead!

DUT

Edit:
Just got off phone with Alaska Air. Agent contacted global desk who said different ticket numbers occur when trickers are reissued. I’ll let them think on it overnight and call during day shift tomorrow. They say they are in touch with Singapore and working this issue…I’ll believe it when I see it!

Bottom line…grab Singapore award tickets when you can, but hope there’s no schedule changes or this results 😜

DUT

Last edited by DUT; May 16, 2022 at 7:48 pm
Old May 17, 2022, 8:34 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Calling AS is a waste of time - it sounds like the ticket is correctly issued, but SQ doesn't have the ticket attached to each segment of the reservation correctly. That can only be fixed on the SQ side.

If you have a lot of risk tolerance, you could also try flying the ticket without a reservation - if the flight fills, you'll be bumped, but if there are empty seats, SQ at the airport should be able to lift your ticket coupon and board you. I've done it with CA a few times - a bit stressful, but I've been lucky and it's always worked out
Old May 17, 2022, 9:51 am

Programs: AS AA
Originally Posted by DUT
Update…the leg in question does have a different ticket number than the other three legs! Back on the phone…starting with AS…

alfrie…thanks for the lead!
Glad to offer some lead. I am having the same issue with an AS-reissued Cathay Pacific ticket. One segment shows different number than others on CheckMyTrip app and CX website says the reservation is not ticketed. However, I can request email receipt on CX website and it clearly has the correct ticket number, even including an AS domestic segment. My trip is two months away and I heard it was hard to reach CX these days on the phone, so I haven't called them to verify. Sooner or later I will.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 6:02 pm

Programs: VS Silver, SQ Elite Silver, IHG Diamond Elite, AS MVP Gold 75k
DUT-

You may want to login to the website and check the trip as well. I have found that the app is telling me i have a confirmed reservation but no ticket issued yet the website tells me "ticketed." I also was able to print the pdf of the ticket so I know I have a valid ticket but the app still tells me no. Maybe the same thing is happening to you?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 1:43 pm

Hello,

When I look for SQ flights in J from EWR to BKK, I cannot find inventory. I CAN find inventory from EWR to SIN and then inventory to BKK from SIN on a separate J award booking. Can these be combined by the AS Partner desk as part of the EWR-SIN itinerary (without paying additional miles?)

Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2022, 3:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by HRHCyndy
Hello,

When I look for SQ flights in J from EWR to BKK, I cannot find inventory. I CAN find inventory from EWR to SIN and then inventory to BKK from SIN on a separate J award booking. Can these be combined by the AS Partner desk as part of the EWR-SIN itinerary (without paying additional miles?)

Thanks!
You can try to book EWR-SIN first then use "Change Reservation " to add SIN-BKK
Old Aug 17, 2022, 6:55 pm

Thanks, once again, Thichbay! Much appreciated!
Old Sep 10, 2022, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Apologies for the noob question but I am confused by the SQ earning charts when crediting to AS on a mixed metal ticket.

I have no MVP status currently. I am potentially flying a ticket SMF-SEA-SIN round trip with the first segment on AS and the 2nd on SQ. The ticket would be issued by SQ. The SMF-SEA segments would issue in "D" and the SQ segments in "C".

Am I correct to calculate that the total miles earned on this round trip (EQM and RDM) would earn based on the ticket stock (SQ) and not the metal? In other words the segments in "D" would earn 100% EQM/200% RDM and the segments in "C" would earn 125% EQM/225% RDM?

Or, would I earn on the AS segments based on the AS metal earning chart?
Old Sep 10, 2022, 6:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Apologies for the noob question but I am confused by the SQ earning charts when crediting to AS on a mixed metal ticket.

I have no MVP status currently. I am potentially flying a ticket SMF-SEA-SIN round trip with the first segment on AS and the 2nd on SQ. The ticket would be issued by SQ. The SMF-SEA segments would issue in "D" and the SQ segments in "C".

Am I correct to calculate that the total miles earned on this round trip (EQM and RDM) would earn based on the ticket stock (SQ) and not the metal? In other words the segments in "D" would earn 100% EQM/200% RDM and the segments in "C" would earn 125% EQM/225% RDM?

Or, would I earn on the AS segments based on the AS metal earning chart?
For AS ticket stock is irrelevant but the marketing carrier is important. Everything is segment-by-segment.

Is the SMF-SEA flight AS or SQ marketed?
The SQ marketed one (if it's SQ1733?) is outside of the eligible flight number range and also is not both marketed and operated by SQ (wording is different than for oneworld partners), so by a strict reading of the rules it is eligible for 0 miles. I wouldn't be extremely surprised if you got credit though, as pre-oneworld AS routinely credited flights that were marketed and operated by different partners even though the rules did not allow this.
If it's an AS flight number, then you earn according to the AS chart for that flight.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I agree that SQ operated segment will earn per marketing carrier (surely that's SQ?), but are you sure about the AS operated segment? No first hand experience, but I would expect a flight on AS metal to credit per the AS chart regardless whose code it carries.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 12:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Originally Posted by Kacee
I agree that SQ operated segment will earn per marketing carrier (surely that's SQ?), but are you sure about the AS operated segment? No first hand experience, but I would expect a flight on AS metal to credit per the AS chart regardless whose code it carries.
I wouldn't be surprised if that's how it worked in practice because that's how things used to work for AS before oneworld (when marketed by partner 1 and operated by partner 2 or AS, it credited as partner 2 or AS). I would trust datapoints more than the rules in this scenario.
But, per the written rules, I don't think so. SQ marketed AS operated qualifies under neither AS earning nor SQ earning charts:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...earn-on-alaska
"To qualify, flights must be in the range of eligible flight numbers listed above, and must be marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines, or marketed by Alaska Airlines and operated by the airlines noted above."
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...apore-airlines
"Flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below, and your flight must be marketed and operated by Singapore Airlines."
Old Sep 17, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: IC RA
Thanks to those posting in here. I've read through and believe I have a better handle on my situation but I'd like to run by those of you who have a much better understanding on these things.

I have an upcoming ARN-FRA-SIN-DPS flight. Ticket is issued on LH 220 stock.
ARN- FRA is in J on LH Metal market by LH
FRA-SIN is in F on SQ metal marketed by LH
SIN-DPS is in J on SQ Metal marketed by LH

Per the rules that would make the FRA and SIN segments ineligible to earn on AS, correct? But, also in practice there is a chance it would credit?

Is my best bet to try and credit to AS and if unsuccessful attempt to credit somewhere else after the fact? And, if I don't/can't credit to AS is there somewhere preferable to credit to besides KF as a US based flyer whose main goal would be a future award ticket to either Europe or Asia? I will also have a subsequent BKK-SIN-JFK flight all booked in D issued by SQ to further credit somewhere.

Last edited by Investor 11; Sep 17, 2022 at 9:41 am Reason: spelling
Old Sep 17, 2022, 9:20 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Investor 11
Thanks to those posting in here. I've read through and believe I have a better handle on my situation but I'd like to run by those of you who have a much better understanding on these things.

I have an upcoming ARN-FRA-SIN-DPS flight. Ticket is issued on LH 220 stock.
ARN- FRA is in J on LH Metal market by LH
FRA-SIN is in F on SQ metal marketed by LH
SIN-DPS is in J on SQ Metal marketed by LH

Per the rules that would make the FRA and SIN segments ineligible to earn on AS, correct? But, also in practice there is a chance it would credit?

Is my best bet to try and credit to AS and if unsuccessful attempt to credit somewhere else after the fact? And, if I don't/can't credit to AS is there somewhere preferable to credit to besides KF as a US based flyer whose main goal would be a future award ticket to wither Europe or Asia? I will also have a subsequent BKK-SIN-JFK flight all booked in D issued by SQ to further credit somewhere.
While I can understand why you'd like to credit to AS, this is a bit of a stretch. May as well try, but don't be surprised if denied. Have you looked at the earning rates for the various *A members? That's probably a topic for the *A forum. When I look at where I'm going to place potentially orphan miles, I just place them in a common accrual account, United in the case of *A flights. While I probably don't get the best value, it's better than none at all. I end up using that cache of miles for things like intra-Europe flights and alike, where I find decent value in the award rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.