Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Brianblanco
If you’re flying F LAXHKG do you get access to F lounge in Hong Kong when the connection onward to final destination (BKK) is in J?
Originally Posted by Orwaid
-- Yes.
That is the correct answer, assuming that the onward flight is on the same day (or before 6 am next day; CX doesn't have super-early HKG-BKK flights so it really means "same day"). If you're doing a stopover in HKG on an AS award (or even arriving late on one day and leaving next afternoon within 24 hours, so not a full stopover) no dice and it's J lounges for you (which are still super nice compared to the Alaska Lounge). CX lounges are governed by OW access rules:

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
  • First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
  • Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
  • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
CX forum gets this question all the time.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...unge-faqs.html

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Dec 5, 2017 at 10:55 pm
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:16 am

AS offered to add a free lap infant to my CX award (two J seats, ex-US to HKG--my deepest apologies to the rest of the cabin!). Is this right? Seemed odd that there was no charge. It's not ticketed yet, so can't confirm with Cathay if it's set up correctly or not.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
I've had a CX J award booked for about 5 months now BOS-HKG-BOM with a 10 hour layover in HKG (which is already long). I received an email from AS this week indicating a schedule change. My departing flight to BOM is now another 4 hours later which will get me into BOM quite late. I have a morning flight booked from BOM the next day at 530AM, so now I'm cutting it close (it's also now once daily HKG-BOM to make matters worse).

I'm guessing I have no recourse on this? I'm sure AS/CX won't put me on another carrier since it was just a minor time change.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by MattEvan
AS offered to add a free lap infant to my CX award (two J seats, ex-US to HKG--my deepest apologies to the rest of the cabin!). Is this right? Seemed odd that there was no charge. It's not ticketed yet, so can't confirm with Cathay if it's set up correctly or not.
Unless something has changed recently, I doubt things are going to work out correctly for ticketing.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
I've had a CX J award booked for about 5 months now BOS-HKG-BOM with a 10 hour layover in HKG (which is already long). I received an email from AS this week indicating a schedule change. My departing flight to BOM is now another 4 hours later which will get me into BOM quite late. I have a morning flight booked from BOM the next day at 530AM, so now I'm cutting it close (it's also now once daily HKG-BOM to make matters worse).

I'm guessing I have no recourse on this? I'm sure AS/CX won't put me on another carrier since it was just a minor time change.
Doubtful.

Does CX have any other flight options on this route? Would re-positioning to JFK or ORD help? AS won't move you BOS-JFK/ORD, but can ask to force space open on an earlier JFK flight due to the schedule change with their CX liaison.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
You can get the miles and points back gratis if the timing doesn't work for you any more (minus partner fee), but it's not AS's or CX's problem that you decided to buy another ticket back to back shortly after arriving into BOM and a CX schedule change puts that at risk. Their duty is to get you to BOM (and there's language in the contract of carriage saying, in effect, "schedules are not written in stone") and AS or CX isn't going to buy you plane tickets because you decided to fly immediately after getting to BOM. That was your call. You get to own that.

Best option is seeing if space opens up close in the day before on the BOS-HKG flight, I guess. That at least gets you in for your second ticket in plenty of time.
Originally Posted by beckoa
Does CX have any other flight options on this route? Would re-positioning to JFK or ORD help? AS won't move you BOS-JFK/ORD, but can ask to force space open on an earlier JFK flight due to the schedule change with their CX liaison.
Probably have to move another day if the flight option HKG-BOM is once daily. If that's the case might as well stay flying out of BOS. I'm also sort of dubious that CX would do much. OP seems to want to be pushed to different flights on a different airline though?

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Dec 6, 2017 at 11:44 am
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
That is the correct answer, assuming that the onward flight is on the same day (or before 6 am next day; CX doesn't have super-early HKG-BKK flights so it really means "same day"). If you're doing a stopover in HKG on an AS award (or even arriving late on one day and leaving next afternoon within 24 hours, so not a full stopover) no dice and it's J lounges for you (which are still super nice compared to the Alaska Lounge). CX lounges are governed by OW access rules:

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

CX forum gets this question all the time.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...unge-faqs.html
We had F coming in, connecting to a HKG-DPS flight the next morning at 10am because that was the only way to connect. We presented our BPs from the day before as well as the BPs to DPS, telling the receptionists they were on the same reservation same ticket. We were graciously let in the Wings. Not saying it is the rule, but does not hurt to try.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Unless something has changed recently, I doubt things are going to work out correctly for ticketing.
Thanks. CX can't see the infant on the record locator, so I fear you're correct.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:33 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Does booking CX award involve both a partner fee of $12.50 and a ticketing fee of $15? Thanks.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by seawolf
Does booking CX award involve both a partner fee of $12.50 and a ticketing fee of $15? Thanks.
Partner booking fee of $12.50 is charged for each direction, any ticketing fees should be waived as you cannot book CX online.

James
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:45 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Partner booking fee of $12.50 is charged for each direction, any ticketing fees should be waived as you cannot book CX online.

James
Thanks. I called back. Agent initially agreed that ticketing fee should not be charged but when I ask a refund, she placed me on hold and when she came back, quickly backtracked that the $15 fee was applicable.

Will HUACA.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

James
I thought that too. Then some people in this thread reported they are not charged the $15 fee (if you look at the thread history):

and some are.

Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:25 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
I have been charged and other times I have not been charged. I have not argued as I never make the discovery until sometime after the tickets have been issued.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
If you are not Gold, phone fee applies whether its bookable online or not. Sometimes you get lucky and its waived.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by MattEvan
CX charges 20 or 25 percent of the cash rates for infant fares ex US. For business class it's quite expensive depending on what the base rate is

If they can really ticket it for free, take it and thank them profusely

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.