Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RobertHanson
As an additional resource for these cards see the threads here: Current Alaska Airlines Card Offers. Previous 2012-2016 Alaska Airlines Card Offers.

If you are applying for a personal AS card, and are not an expert on applying for A/S cards STOP, don't apply yet. Instead read post #3688 in the other AS thread linked above. Believe me, doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

Link to enhanced AS card that waives $99 fee for Companion Fare (only pay taxes & fees): 30K miles and $99 CF fee waived

$100 stmt. credit link for 30K card & $22 CF pass:https://secure.bankofamerica.com/applynow/welcome.go Now active, as of 7/19/17

Business card offer of 30K miles

Can you book Cathay flights using AS miles? Probably NOT:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-later-68.html
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines Visa

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Is Alaska still closely monitoring accounts for credit card bonuses? I got my last card back in September and have since converted it. I'm considering lowering my credit line on that card (cash rewards now) and reapplying for the new 30K offer.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 4:30 pm

Just got a mailed offer for a 35,000 bonus (30K + 5K BofA). This is the highest I've seen for an Alaska credit card in a long time.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:19 am

no more 5 miles at hotels/restaurants?

I'm trying to find the same offer, but I'm only finding a deal with 30k miles. That would sound great, but it no longer says anything about "Earn up to 5 miles per $1 at partner hotels and restaurants"... it seems you only earn 3 miles on Alaska, and 1 mile on everything else.

Also, what happened to the card with the Northern Lights design? Can't find that anywhere...

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Did a few searches, both via Google and FT, and don't see much on this card. I've seen a few places (Million Mile Secrets, Points Guy, etc) write about it as an "underrated gem"...yet it doesn't get much love from the MilesBuzz forum. Why?

Current offer:
1) Earn 25,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ Bonus Miles upon approval.

2) Receive an annual coach Companion Fare from $110(USD) ($99 base fare plus taxes and fees, from $11 depending on your Alaska Airlines flight itinerary).

3) Earn 1 mile per $1 on all purchases

4) Earn 3 miles per $1 on Alaska Airlines tickets/vacation packages/cargo purchases

5) Earn up to 5 miles per $1 at partner hotels and restaurants

6) Enjoy no mileage cap. There's no limit to the number of miles you can earn with the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature card.

7) Go far and wide with points redeemable on over a dozen airlines. Visit the Alaska Airlines website for the airline partner list.

Numbers 1, 2, and 7 make this a very attractive offer. Especially #1, "25,000 miles upon approval"--no spend required.

The only negative I see is the $75 annual fee. This is not waived the first year.

So FT: any luck with this card? Reviews? Positives/negatives? Luck with getting approved? Recon?

Thinking about getting it just for the 25k, which I'll eventually transfer over to AA, DL, BA, Emirates, Qantas, etc....

Looking at straight numbers, I do believe 25,000 miles is "worth" $75. What about you?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: AS
Northern lights card not available. All new cards issued are new Alaska brand refresh as featured on new livery.
Many on Facebook not happy about "death" of northern lights card. Maybe Alaska listens will,pay attention.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
BOA App accepted: how fast can I get the miles after $1k spend?

Well of course I should have done this a few weeks ago, but just signed up (and instantly accepted) for the BOA biz visa. 30k after $1k spend.

Any idea how fast I can get these miles? It used to be the miles were pretty instantaneous but now with the spend requirement, how can I speed this along? Ideally, I'd like to use 20k of these miles for my upcoming trip July 23rd.

I've heard in the past for other cards you can call and change your statement closing date earlier? Then the bonus comes thru right away?

Tips?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
Well of course I should have done this a few weeks ago, but just signed up (and instantly accepted) for the BOA biz visa. 30k after $1k spend.

Any idea how fast I can get these miles? It used to be the miles were pretty instantaneous but now with the spend requirement, how can I speed this along? Ideally, I'd like to use 20k of these miles for my upcoming trip July 23rd.

I've heard in the past for other cards you can call and change your statement closing date earlier? Then the bonus comes thru right away?

Tips?
I kinda doubt that you can get them by July 23 no matter what. In the Credit Cards forum's thread on this card:
several people finished spend quickly on cards they got when the $1k spend requirement started late last month, and I don't think any of them have seen their miles yet, statement closing or not.

(That thread gets way more activity than this one, so for the most datapoints it's the one to look in.)
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Read the fine print on bonus offers

I just got a (targeted?) e-mail to get 2 extra pts for hotel stays through September, which sounded great because we have a couple of upcoming independent hotel stays that are not chain-linked (isn't that funny?) to any of our other credit cards, so I thought I'd put them on the AS card.

Well, good thing I read the fine print because the offer is good ONLY on hotels booked through the Alaska Airlines portal, which these were not.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I just got a (targeted?) e-mail to get 2 extra pts for hotel stays through September, which sounded great because we have a couple of upcoming independent hotel stays that are not chain-linked (isn't that funny?) to any of our other credit cards, so I thought I'd put them on the AS card.

Well, good thing I read the fine print because the offer is good ONLY on hotels booked through the Alaska Airlines portal, which these were not.
I got the same offer - I'm fairly certain that any hotel booked directly through the hotel itself ("merchant") is eligible. The terms just take care to mention that third party bookings are excluded unless booked through the Alaska website.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Bretmd
I got the same offer - I'm fairly certain that any hotel booked directly through the hotel itself ("merchant") is eligible. The terms just take care to mention that third party bookings are excluded unless booked through the Alaska website.
I'll have to go reread it!

Well, I just did (I tried to c&P here and it didn't work) - I still read it as having to book through AS?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:00 pm

Got the same offer and was excited about it as well. Have 6 nights of no loyalty hotel stays next week.

I interpreted the fine print same as BretMD. Looks like you're good to go if booking/paying with the hotel directly.

I assume we all have the same offer and wording? Can u post the text of yours? Certainly don't want to forego 3x points on hotels with a different card if I'm wrong.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 2:33 am

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo

Tips?
No. Makes it longer. If you change your closing date they extend the current one to the next new one.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 6:14 am

Annual fee question. If I close an account within 60 days of opening, can I keep my bonus miles and get the annual fee refunded?
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
Annual fee question. If I close an account within 60 days of opening, can I keep my bonus miles and get the annual fee refunded?
Why get BofA mad at you on about card that you can apply for several times a year?

Why not instead apply for the 30k bonus miles plus $100 credit (for the same $1000 spend in 3 months for both)? That way you end up with $-25 net AF essentially, and you still have BofA happy with you.

(The link for the 30k bonus miles plus $100 credit offer is in the wiki for the other thread about this card.)
Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
This is a very bad idea.

FYI - Alaska was shutting down the accounts of people who pocketed the miles and canceled the card without paying the annual fee.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Why get BofA mad at you on about card that you can apply for several times a year?

Why not instead apply for the 30k bonus miles plus $100 credit (for the same $1000 spend in 3 months for both)? That way you end up with $-25 net AF essentially, and you still have BofA happy with you.

(The link for the 30k bonus miles plus $100 credit offer is in the wiki for the other thread about this card.)
Why? Because I got a targeted 35K mile bonus with no statement credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.