Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability 2017 and Later

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability 2017 and Later

    Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 19, 18, 7:35 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Wiki Link
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America


Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 3, 17, 12:10 pm
  #1006  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 51
I'm trying to book SFO-HKG-CHC on Cathay Pacific and have been told that the routing isn't allowed.

On multiple calls, agents have seen award space for both legs (with a short stopover) but I'm told that it would have to be two awards. I've talked to 5 different agents and the last one acknowledged that the Alaska website does list this as a legal route, but he said his computer won't let him book it.

As of right now, I went ahead and booked the HKG-CHC leg in biz with hopes of adding on SFO-HKG in first. Is what I'm trying to do possible? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
noelr is offline  
Old Aug 3, 17, 1:54 pm
  #1007  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boulder
Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Posts: 2,357
Originally Posted by noelr View Post
I'm trying to book SFO-HKG-CHC on Cathay Pacific and have been told that the routing isn't allowed.

On multiple calls, agents have seen award space for both legs (with a short stopover) but I'm told that it would have to be two awards. I've talked to 5 different agents and the last one acknowledged that the Alaska website does list this as a legal route, but he said his computer won't let him book it.

As of right now, I went ahead and booked the HKG-CHC leg in biz with hopes of adding on SFO-HKG in first. Is what I'm trying to do possible? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I have an upcoming award for SFO-HKG-AKL (F then J) that priced as a single award. I'm don't have a stopover in HKG, just a connection. Unless this was a recent change, I expect you just encountered a clueless agent. HUACA.
txflyer77 is offline  
Old Aug 3, 17, 2:37 pm
  #1008  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by txflyer77 View Post
I have an upcoming award for SFO-HKG-AKL (F then J) that priced as a single award. I'm don't have a stopover in HKG, just a connection. Unless this was a recent change, I expect you just encountered a clueless agent. HUACA.
Thanks. I've tried calling a few more times and in subsequent calls, agents have been able to look at routes to AKL and also to BNE and SYD, but not CHC. Is it possible the fact that this is a new, seasonal route that it somehow isn't in the system yet? I would just book HKG-AKL, but of course there is no availability...

Is there any way to escalate this issue with Alaska? Or, should I just eat the extra 20k points and book as two separate tickets?
noelr is offline  
Old Aug 3, 17, 8:50 pm
  #1009  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 41,927
Originally Posted by noelr View Post
Thanks. I've tried calling a few more times and in subsequent calls, agents have been able to look at routes to AKL and also to BNE and SYD, but not CHC. Is it possible the fact that this is a new, seasonal route that it somehow isn't in the system yet? I would just book HKG-AKL, but of course there is no availability...

Is there any way to escalate this issue with Alaska? Or, should I just eat the extra 20k points and book as two separate tickets?
If a new route (don't recall it yet) it probably is blocked in AS' system.

CX operates this and not KA, right?
beckoa is offline  
Old Aug 3, 17, 10:19 pm
  #1010  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boulder
Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Posts: 2,357
Originally Posted by noelr View Post
Thanks. I've tried calling a few more times and in subsequent calls, agents have been able to look at routes to AKL and also to BNE and SYD, but not CHC. Is it possible the fact that this is a new, seasonal route that it somehow isn't in the system yet? I would just book HKG-AKL, but of course there is no availability...

Is there any way to escalate this issue with Alaska? Or, should I just eat the extra 20k points and book as two separate tickets?
You could also just book SFO-HKG-AKL and buy AKL-CHC. Domestic NZ flights are dirt cheap (though make sure to use airnewzealand.co.nz, not .com). This also has the advantage of being a daily flight.

AFAIK HKG-CHC is on CX, not KA, but it's only a few times a week. Are you sure you've been asking about dates it actually operates?
txflyer77 is offline  
Old Aug 4, 17, 8:41 am
  #1011  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Programs: AC *E
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA View Post
Just called again and went through two full weeks in Feb'18 for EWR-HKG, not a single J seat. Most days are showing at least 1 available on BA. The particular date I was looking at had 4J...
I have the same issue with YYZ-HKG for Jan & Feb 2018. Date that I want to book has 4J per BA.
utengkid is offline  
Old Aug 9, 17, 9:19 pm
  #1012  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by txflyer77 View Post
You could also just book SFO-HKG-AKL and buy AKL-CHC. Domestic NZ flights are dirt cheap (though make sure to use airnewzealand.co.nz, not .com). This also has the advantage of being a daily flight.

AFAIK HKG-CHC is on CX, not KA, but it's only a few times a week. Are you sure you've been asking about dates it actually operates?
Yes. I've actually gone ahead and booked two separate reservations through Alaska. I currently have SFO-HKG and HKG-CHC both booked. Phone reps could see the award space just fine, but weren't able to combine into one award.

I'd be happy to book to AKL, but there is no award space in the time I'm looking to go.
noelr is offline  
Old Aug 10, 17, 12:06 pm
  #1013  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by noelr View Post
Yes. I've actually gone ahead and booked two separate reservations through Alaska. I currently have SFO-HKG and HKG-CHC both booked. Phone reps could see the award space just fine, but weren't able to combine into one award.

I'd be happy to book to AKL, but there is no award space in the time I'm looking to go.
Just to wrap this up, I should know by now to trust the system and continue to HUCA. A few more tries and one agent was freaked out about having to deal with Cathay Pacific, so he told me he would transfer me to someone that was really good at dealing with Cathay and that agent got everything squared away. Not sure what was going on, but she had no problems booking SFO-HKG-CHC and now I'm all set for another adventure.
noelr is offline  
Old Aug 10, 17, 12:22 pm
  #1014  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: YYC - not the centre of the universe
Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Posts: 4,690
To add a data point:
JFK-YVR
BA shows J3
AS sees J1
(fine for me, only needed J1)
jlisi984 is offline  
Old Aug 11, 17, 12:41 am
  #1015  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 41,927
Originally Posted by noelr View Post
Just to wrap this up, I should know by now to trust the system and continue to HUCA. A few more tries and one agent was freaked out about having to deal with Cathay Pacific, so he told me he would transfer me to someone that was really good at dealing with Cathay and that agent got everything squared away. Not sure what was going on, but she had no problems booking SFO-HKG-CHC and now I'm all set for another adventure.
Excellent!

Thanks for following thru with AS, and getting them to comply with what should be possible. Sometimes the systems just need to be massaged a bit
beckoa is offline  
Old Aug 11, 17, 3:23 pm
  #1016  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: PBI
Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
Posts: 232
Booked biz HND-HKG-SIN no stopover allowed but 22.5K miles in biz and A350 HKG-SIN can't find too many award charts with rates that beat that.
tennislover9 is offline  
Old Aug 11, 17, 5:26 pm
  #1017  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 18,380
Originally Posted by tennislover9 View Post
Booked biz HND-HKG-SIN no stopover allowed
Originally Posted by wiki
[*]No stopover on intra-regional awards, example Asia to Asia.
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Aug 13, 17, 12:32 pm
  #1018  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Suburbia :rolleyes:
Programs: UA, HA, CO
Posts: 972
Originally Posted by jamienbaker View Post
Can AS drop a segment on a CX award and reprice, or not?
Originally Posted by skimthetrees View Post
It should work fine. That said, I have never done it for CX. With a JL award dropping a segment meant I had to call in to change it (tried online and it told me I needed to call in) and it took 15-20 minutes for them to reprice and confirm the ticket but it was no problem, I kept a segment that did not have current award availability and was able to keep the space.
I've done it for a CX award and it worked fine. Had a JFK-HKG-DPS award (JFK-HKG in J, HKG-DPS in Y) and called in to drop the JFK-HKG segment. Took them a few minutes to reprice my award from 50k (NA to SE Asia J) to 12.5k (Inter-Asia Y) but no issues overall doing so.
asu-ua772 is offline  
Old Aug 14, 17, 9:41 am
  #1019  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SIN
Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Posts: 1,252
Trying to book an award HKG-DXB that I can see on both BA and QF, but Alaska agents are unable to see it in their system. Any advice on how to 'unlock' it on their end?
Kilian Zoll is offline  
Old Aug 15, 17, 7:52 am
  #1020  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Washington D.C.
Programs: Hilton Diamond, AS Gold 75K
Posts: 18
Data point

Been keeping track of last minute Cathay availability with Alaska for months now (Testing my theories and trying to book the second F for the honeymoon )

Few things I learned:
1. Subtraction system seems to be there for the J seats. (I.e BA shows 8, AS has 4) this was true for most of the routes I was looking at just to test out my theories.

2. AS reservation system definitely has a lag relative to BA and QF's award search. Sometimes I've called Alaska right after I see seats come up on BA, but multiple reps can't see it. However, 6/12 hours later *some reps can see the additional seats.

3. Most important: HUCA absolutely helps. I usually go through the MVP gold reservation line, but after trying the normal reservation line and finding a good agent that seems to know how to book a CX award ticket, they seem to always able to see the F seats and at least 1 J seat where BA shows availability (hence the delay theory in #2 )

TL;DR- Call the normal reservation and find agents that know CX well. Your chances of finding J/F seats increases significantly.

And yes, second F ticket was issued this morning after BA showed 2. (Only after 4 calls )

Last edited by RTWonSAT; Aug 15, 17 at 11:36 am
RTWonSAT is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: