Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RobertHanson
As an additional resource for these cards see the threads here: Current Alaska Airlines Card Offers. Previous 2012-2016 Alaska Airlines Card Offers.

If you are applying for a personal AS card, and are not an expert on applying for A/S cards STOP, don't apply yet. Instead read post #3688 in the other AS thread linked above. Believe me, doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

Link to enhanced AS card that waives $99 fee for Companion Fare (only pay taxes & fees): 30K miles and $99 CF fee waived

$100 stmt. credit link for 30K card & $22 CF pass:https://secure.bankofamerica.com/applynow/welcome.go Now active, as of 7/19/17

Business card offer of 30K miles

Can you book Cathay flights using AS miles? Probably NOT:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-later-68.html
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines Visa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: AS GOLD
Got approved. Do I get an annual coach Companion next year or do i get one now?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:07 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
Originally Posted by SESTAR
Got approved. Do I get an annual coach Companion next year or do i get one now?
Now. (Well, nowish. Soon.)
Old Apr 1, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P
Anyone know if there's any bonus for booking hotels through alaskaair.com? I'm not sure if that counts as "Vacation Package", which gives 3x bonus, or nothing at all (besides the normal 1x, of course).
Old Apr 1, 2016, 5:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I just got a (targeted?) e-mail today offering 2 bonus miles for any hotels paid for (not bookings, but that would make sense unless they were prepaid) through June 30.

I don't believe they offer any hotel bonuses as a regular part of the card.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: Too many to count!
I've been reading both Alaska Airlines cc threads (this on and offers). I currently have 2 personal AS visas that I got last May with the 25,000 miles/$100 statement credit. I would like to cancel these prior to the $75 AF hitting again. But I would also like to apply and get a new one under the current 25,000/$100 credit offer.

Is the best way to do this-- reduce my credit lines on both my current cards, apply for a new card (hopefully get approved), and then cancel both of the current cards?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by CynthiaD
I've been reading both Alaska Airlines cc threads (this on and offers). I currently have 2 personal AS visas that I got last May with the 25,000 miles/$100 statement credit. I would like to cancel these prior to the $75 AF hitting again. But I would also like to apply and get a new one under the current 25,000/$100 credit offer.

Is the best way to do this-- reduce my credit lines on both my current cards, apply for a new card (hopefully get approved), and then cancel both of the current cards?
IDK about the canceling, but absolutely lower the CL on both cards to $2K or $3. If you don't get enough CL on the new card you'll end up with a useless Plat card.

The more CL you have on existing cards, the less they MAY be willing to give you on another one.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: Too many to count!
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
IDK about the canceling, but absolutely lower the CL on both cards to $2K or $3. If you don't get enough CL on the new card you'll end up with a useless Plat card.

The more CL you have on existing cards, the less they MAY be willing to give you on another one.
Lowering the credit limit I understand. I'm definitely wondering about the timing for the canceling of the current cards. I though it might raise questions if I canceled the current two first and then applied within the week. As in "why would she cancel 2 cards only to turn around and get a new one?" I though it might play out better if I applied first, got the card, and then it looked like I decided a few weeks later that I only need one after all (and canceled the original cards)
Old Apr 11, 2016, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by CynthiaD
Lowering the credit limit I understand. I'm definitely wondering about the timing for the canceling of the current cards. I though it might raise questions if I canceled the current two first and then applied within the week. As in "why would she cancel 2 cards only to turn around and get a new one?" I though it might play out better if I applied first, got the card, and then it looked like I decided a few weeks later that I only need one after all (and canceled the original cards)
I lowered the line on the first two of my cards before I applied for the 3rd card last fall.

I cancelled the first card after the companion certificate was deposited to the account, originally i was planning to keep the card but decided not to as i don't foresee using all 3 certificate for next year's travel needs.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 5:51 am

I wasn't able to definitively tell -- here or from the other CC Forum thread -- several posts allude to a 3 month "cool-off" period between apps. My last AS card was in early March and I'd like to get one more in before May when Cinderella's slipper drops.

Is it a max of 1 AS application every 90-days or any BoA card? Or a max of any 3 BoA cards every 90-days? If it's 3, I'll also get a VS card but that's not urgent.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:06 am

From today's earnings call:

We expect our growth in cardmembers to remain strong because come June 1 we will be able to go to market with new cardholder products we
negotiated with our new agreement. That includes 30,000 bonus miles on approval -- that's an increase of 20% from today -- and a free bag. In
addition, new and existing members will no longer incur international transaction fees.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
Thanks for pointing that out. Had been waiting for a more specific date on the no ForEx fee bit. I wonder if the term "new cardholder" indicates that they are planning to crack down on churning?

Originally Posted by johnp012001
From today's earnings call:
Quote:
We expect our growth in cardmembers to remain strong because come June 1 we will be able to go to market with new cardholder products we
negotiated with our new agreement. That includes 30,000 bonus miles on approval -- that's an increase of 20% from today -- and a free bag. In
addition, new and existing members will no longer incur international transaction fees.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by G2244
I wonder if the term "new cardholder" indicates that they are planning to crack down on churning?
I don't think he meant products for new cardholders. I think he meant new products for cardmembers.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 10:47 am

best/current AS credit card promos?

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of applying for an Alaska credit card.

From what I understand, the benefits are:

- no annual fee the first year
- annual $99 companion ticket
- 1 free checked bag for domestic flights

Are there any current promos, e.g. sign up now and get 25k bonus miles after $3K spend in 3 months type thing?

Also, I understand that Alaska an Virgin are merging, so would appreciate your thoughts about how this might affect Alaska credit card holders (in terms of perks).

Thank you!
Old Apr 24, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: AS
Currently, there is an annual fee every year. It is posted second month of approval. $75
Companion code is good for 1 year and currently $122 at low end, can be more depending on airport and taxes and fees. It can be as high as $450 for Mexico travel.
To get most benefits , make sure you are approved for signature card. Includes bonus miles and 1 free checked bag.
June 1, it seems, new product will be rolled out, to include no FTF, for foreign purchases.
News keeps,changing on the new benefits for upcoming rollout. We will see.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 11:31 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
The standard offer is 25,000 miles upon signup (no minimum spend). If you sign up through the AS website while booking a ticket there's usually an offer for 25,000 miles + $100 statement credit after $1000 minimum spend. The revamp pcoll mentioned is also supposed to include an increased bonus of 30,000 miles, but no idea whether the $100 statement credit will be an option with that version.

The VX merger is way too far away to speculate anything related to credit card benefits at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.