FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Alaska Airlines Visa (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1462859-alaska-airlines-visa.html)

pricesquire Apr 29, 13 7:59 pm

Alaska Airlines Visa
 
Did a few searches, both via Google and FT, and don't see much on this card. I've seen a few places (Million Mile Secrets, Points Guy, etc) write about it as an "underrated gem"...yet it doesn't get much love from the MilesBuzz forum. Why?

Current offer:
1) Earn 25,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ Bonus Miles upon approval.

2) Receive an annual coach Companion Fare from $110(USD) ($99 base fare plus taxes and fees, from $11 depending on your Alaska Airlines flight itinerary).

3) Earn 1 mile per $1 on all purchases

4) Earn 3 miles per $1 on Alaska Airlines tickets/vacation packages/cargo purchases

5) Earn up to 5 miles per $1 at partner hotels and restaurants

6) Enjoy no mileage cap. There's no limit to the number of miles you can earn with the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature card.

7) Go far and wide with points redeemable on over a dozen airlines. Visit the Alaska Airlines website for the airline partner list.

Numbers 1, 2, and 7 make this a very attractive offer. Especially #1, "25,000 miles upon approval"--no spend required.

The only negative I see is the $75 annual fee. This is not waived the first year.

So FT: any luck with this card? Reviews? Positives/negatives? Luck with getting approved? Recon?

Thinking about getting it just for the 25k, which I'll eventually transfer over to AA, DL, BA, Emirates, Qantas, etc....

Looking at straight numbers, I do believe 25,000 miles is "worth" $75. What about you?

genesys9 Apr 29, 13 8:11 pm

It is definitely worth the money, I just got this card and did a quick search for a RT ticket from XNA > SFO.

It quoted me $35 where the cheapest RT price is coming as $700+. Moreover, there is a companion ticket on offer, more than makes for the $75.

pricesquire Apr 29, 13 8:17 pm

Which airline is showing that fare? I'm in FL. Will probably never use Alaska Air. I like the transferability, that's it. Wondering if it's miles are good on another airline, pretransfer, or if (like SPG), I'll need to transfer from Alaska to, say, AA, then wait god knows how long to book (by which time the fare may have changed).

As you pointed out, it's worth the money. Just want to make sure it makes logistic sense, as I don't live in the Pacific Northwest and I'm a little unclear on how Alaska's miles work.

(Also, why isn't this a more discussed card? Seems like a sweet deal...)

mia Apr 29, 13 8:19 pm

Moderator action
 
The primary discussion forum for any airline or hotel program's co-branded cards is the program's own. You don't see much discussion of this card in MilesBuzz! or Credit Card Programs because it seldom offers extraordinary new account bonuses.

Please continue this discussion in the Alaska Airlines forum.

dc333 Apr 29, 13 8:33 pm

Just a reminder though, airline miles aren't transferable, these are no different. Once you get the 25k AS miles, they are just that, AS miles. Redeeming them for partner saver tickets is very different than transferring.

That being said 25k AS miles and an annual companion cert can easily be worth multiple annual fees.

slopeboy40 Apr 29, 13 8:53 pm


Originally Posted by pricesquire (Post 20672776)
Did a few searches, both via Google and FT, and don't see much on this card. I've seen a few places (Million Mile Secrets, Points Guy, etc) write about it as an "underrated gem"...yet it doesn't get much love from the MilesBuzz forum. Why?

Current offer:
1) Earn 25,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ Bonus Miles upon approval.

2) Receive an annual coach Companion Fare from $110(USD) ($99 base fare plus taxes and fees, from $11 depending on your Alaska Airlines flight itinerary).

3) Earn 1 mile per $1 on all purchases

4) Earn 3 miles per $1 on Alaska Airlines tickets/vacation packages/cargo purchases

5) Earn up to 5 miles per $1 at partner hotels and restaurants

6) Enjoy no mileage cap. There's no limit to the number of miles you can earn with the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature card.

7) Go far and wide with points redeemable on over a dozen airlines. Visit the Alaska Airlines website for the airline partner list.

Numbers 1, 2, and 7 make this a very attractive offer. Especially #1, "25,000 miles upon approval"--no spend required.

The only negative I see is the $75 annual fee. This is not waived the first year.

So FT: any luck with this card? Reviews? Positives/negatives? Luck with getting approved? Recon?

Thinking about getting it just for the 25k, which I'll eventually transfer over to AA, DL, BA, Emirates, Qantas, etc....

Looking at straight numbers, I do believe 25,000 miles is "worth" $75. What about you?

I have had this card for about 15 years now, my wife has had her own for just as long. That way we get TWO companion certs every year. You'll read a lot of grumbling in here because of the perks of the card that have been taken away over the years. I won't rehash them as what you don't know won't hurt you. For me, it is still a great deal. We spend 15-20k per year on AS tickets which get me up to 60k in miles, not counting everything else I put on the card that I possibly can. And the companion cert, if used smartly, can be quite valuable.


Originally Posted by pricesquire (Post 20672867)
I'm in FL. Will probably never use Alaska Air. I like the transferability, that's it. Wondering if it's miles are good on another airline, pretransfer, or if (like SPG), I'll need to transfer from Alaska to, say, AA, then wait god knows how long to book (by which time the fare may have changed).

As you pointed out, it's worth the money. Just want to make sure it makes logistic sense, as I don't live in the Pacific Northwest and I'm a little unclear on how Alaska's miles work.

(Also, why isn't this a more discussed card? Seems like a sweet deal...)

I have a home in FL as well. AS flies MCO to SAN and SEA, also FLL to SEA. Having another home in Seattle works good for me :) The miles earned are not transferable out to another program. That said, the availability to use AS miles on partner airlines is quite good. DL and AA availability you can check online at AS site, other partners will require calling in. If you fly DL or AA, those miles can be credited to an AS account instead if you so choose.


Originally Posted by dc333 (Post 20672935)
Just a reminder though, airline miles aren't transferable, these are no different. Once you get the 25k AS miles, they are just that, AS miles. Redeeming them for partner saver tickets is very different than transferring.

That being said 25k AS miles and an annual companion cert can easily be worth multiple annual fees.

Yup.

express3 Apr 29, 13 8:59 pm

I just applied for this, still waiting for the card in the mail.

Prior to applying I did some random searches for award booking. So far that works out for me is a OW or RT from FLL to the west coast on AS for 25k. Availability seemed reasonable. I believe there were flights on partner airlines, but there were fees associated with it for redemption. Still havn't figured out a better value for the 25k

Anyhow, I basically just applied for a trip to Seattle. I figured the annual fee + the $5 taxes is a good enough deal to open the card!

Also, I've read this is churnable? If so, how long is the reasonable wait and should I close the first one before opening the second one?

genesys9 Apr 29, 13 9:04 pm

I have read experiences stating they have churned the card in a short span of 6 months, which sounds great.


Originally Posted by express3 (Post 20673068)
I just applied for this, still waiting for the card in the mail.

Prior to applying I did some random searches for award booking. So far that works out for me is a OW or RT from FLL to the west coast on AS for 25k. Availability seemed reasonable. I believe there were flights on partner airlines, but there were fees associated with it for redemption. Still havn't figured out a better value for the 25k

Anyhow, I basically just applied for a trip to SFO. I figured the annual fee + the $5 taxes is a good enough deal to open the card....and the fact that I love going to SF!

Also, I've read this is churnable? If so, how long is the reasonable wait and should I close the first one before opening the second one?


bigbirdwithsilverwings Apr 29, 13 11:33 pm


Originally Posted by pricesquire (Post 20672776)
Did a few searches, both via Google and FT, and don't see much on this card. So FT: any luck with this card? Reviews? Positives/negatives? Luck with getting approved? Recon?

Thinking about getting it just for the 25k, which I'll eventually transfer over to AA, DL, BA, Emirates, Qantas, etc....

Looking at straight numbers, I do believe 25,000 miles is "worth" $75. What about you?

You are kidding, right? Of ALL of the threads on Alaska Airlines on flyertalk, read the "$110 companion ticket valid for COACH only...."which at present has 859 "replies" and 71,453 "views"-which means the thread is one of the top 3 or so in Alaska's FT history. Many of us, me included, used to love this card! However, Alaska and BofA has so diminished the value of the card that a lot of us have cancelled our accounts. I cancelled 4. Tread very slowly!. There are WAY better cards out there than Alaska's-keep an eye out on www.boardingarea.com for suggestions. In my view, Alaska's present offering is a 1 or 2 on a 1-10 point scale. Check out Chase Sapphire, AMEX Starwood, Chase Ink amongst others. All get you WAY more bang for the buck! good luck.

pricesquire Apr 30, 13 7:05 am


Originally Posted by bigbirdwithsilverwings (Post 20673710)
You are kidding, right? Of ALL of the threads on Alaska Airlines on flyertalk, read the "$110 companion ticket valid for COACH only...."which at present has 859 "replies" and 71,453 "views"-which means the thread is one of the top 3 or so in Alaska's FT history. Many of us, me included, used to love this card! However, Alaska and BofA has so diminished the value of the card that a lot of us have cancelled our accounts. I cancelled 4. Tread very slowly!. There are WAY better cards out there than Alaska's-keep an eye out on www.boardingarea.com for suggestions. In my view, Alaska's present offering is a 1 or 2 on a 1-10 point scale. Check out Chase Sapphire, AMEX Starwood, Chase Ink amongst others. All get you WAY more bang for the buck! good luck.

I'll be honest. When I said "couldn't find much on it"--I had looked on Miles Buzz, Credit Card Programs, Credit Card offers. Then, just to make sure, I looked at the first three pages on the Alaska Air forum. I guess I missed it all around.

Are you so down on the Alaska card because you knew what it once was? I already have the SPG card. I'd go to Chase Sapphire/Ink, but I'm not in the place right now to hit the $3k/3 mos. yet.

pricesquire Apr 30, 13 7:10 am


Originally Posted by express3 (Post 20673068)
I just applied for this, still waiting for the card in the mail.

Prior to applying I did some random searches for award booking. So far that works out for me is a OW or RT from FLL to the west coast on AS for 25k. Availability seemed reasonable. I believe there were flights on partner airlines, but there were fees associated with it for redemption. Still havn't figured out a better value for the 25k

Anyhow, I basically just applied for a trip to Seattle. I figured the annual fee + the $5 taxes is a good enough deal to open the card!

Also, I've read this is churnable? If so, how long is the reasonable wait and should I close the first one before opening the second one?

The FL to SEA option is why I'd want this card, too. Where are you based? If I could get MCO to SEA on Alaska, I'd get this card in a heartbeat.

pigx5 Apr 30, 13 7:33 am


Originally Posted by pricesquire (Post 20672776)
Did a few searches, both via Google and FT, and don't see much on this card. I've seen a few places (Million Mile Secrets, Points Guy, etc) write about it as an "underrated gem"...yet it doesn't get much love from the MilesBuzz forum. Why?

Current offer:
1) Earn 25,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ Bonus Miles upon approval.

Be careful if you don't get approved for Visa Signature .......
The platinum card is another story...

LwoodY2K Apr 30, 13 11:10 am


Originally Posted by bigbirdwithsilverwings (Post 20673710)
In my view, Alaska's present offering is a 1 or 2 on a 1-10 point scale. Check out Chase Sapphire, AMEX Starwood, Chase Ink amongst others. All get you WAY more bang for the buck! good luck.

Unless you never fly AS coach with another person, I can't see this being rated as low as you're rating it.

express3 Apr 30, 13 11:52 am


Originally Posted by pricesquire (Post 20674818)
The FL to SEA option is why I'd want this card, too. Where are you based? If I could get MCO to SEA on Alaska, I'd get this card in a heartbeat.

Briefly checked and there were flights for MCO to SEA. Availabilty was better for FLL at 12.5k OW. From MCO I saw plenty of 20k OW and a few for 12.5 OW.

I travel frequent from MIA, but dont mind going to FLL.

ExecTraveler Apr 30, 13 10:48 pm

If you're just in it for the miles and companion cert, and nothing else, then I suppose the Signature Card may be worth it.

However, I would rather get a root canal without any novocaine than deal with Bank of America. Just sayin'


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:45 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.