Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RobertHanson
As an additional resource for these cards see the threads here: Current Alaska Airlines Card Offers. Previous 2012-2016 Alaska Airlines Card Offers.

If you are applying for a personal AS card, and are not an expert on applying for A/S cards STOP, don't apply yet. Instead read post #3688 in the other AS thread linked above. Believe me, doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

Link to enhanced AS card that waives $99 fee for Companion Fare (only pay taxes & fees): 30K miles and $99 CF fee waived

$100 stmt. credit link for 30K card & $22 CF pass:https://secure.bankofamerica.com/applynow/welcome.go Now active, as of 7/19/17

Business card offer of 30K miles

Can you book Cathay flights using AS miles? Probably NOT:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-later-68.html
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines Visa

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bernyx
i assume this was already answered, but can you apply directly for the platinum visa or does bofa assign who gets it. I got a signature about 6 months ago and want to apply for another card
I suggest you apply for the business card if you want another card. (You don't actually have to have a business, just answer 0 years in business, your name as the business name, $0 business income, and any other questions consistent with those answers.)

There is no Plat version of the business card, so you'll either get approved and qualify for 30k bonus (with $1k spend in 3 months) or get denied, none of the in-between Platinum nightmares with the personal card. (Platinum only gives you 5k bonus yet you pay 2/3 of the AF! So why would you want one? )
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I am an attorney licensed in two states. Do you think they would give me two business cards if I say I'd like to track my business expenses separately in each state?
Old Dec 5, 2016, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Runner123
I am an attorney licensed in two states. Do you think they would give me two business cards if I say I'd like to track my business expenses separately in each state?
That has nothing to do with it. All business applications are by your SSN, thus you, not your business. They'll do if they want to approve for two business cards, they won't do if they want to approve you for two business cards.

At the very last, you'd probably have to wait 90+ days between the two applications.

This here is a low-activity thread. If you're interested in seeing recent datapoints about people trying to get two business cards, you should search (recent pages of) the other thread (in the Credit Cards forum), which has way more posts per week in it:
For the personal card, many (but not all) people lately have been told they can't apply for a second one while they have the first one still open. Way fewer people apply for the business card, and the pattern is less clear as to how many people can apply for a second business card while having the first one open vs how many people can't.

BofA seems to have tightened up lately, so datapoints from many months ago are not necessarily useful any more.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 10:06 am

Question from a VX flier & credit card holder. I'm planning to apply for the new Alaska Airlines Credit Card, since I figure I'll end up w/ it anyways & might as well get those bonus points.

Is there any reason to wait until next week or next year to get the Alaska Airlines Visa? Is there a reason to get it right now? And are there any extra sign up offers if I come through one portal or another? Lots of questions, hope you can help me out. Thanks.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jakers3200
Question from a VX flier & credit card holder. I'm planning to apply for the new Alaska Airlines Credit Card, since I figure I'll end up w/ it anyways & might as well get those bonus points.

Is there any reason to wait until next week or next year to get the Alaska Airlines Visa? Is there a reason to get it right now? And are there any extra sign up offers if I come through one portal or another? Lots of questions, hope you can help me out. Thanks.
The only bonus out there I can think of is that you get another thousand miles tacked on to the signup bonus if you sign up in flight (or save the referring employee ID number from the paper application onboard and fill it out online at home).
Old Dec 15, 2016, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jakers3200

Originally Posted by jinglish
The only bonus out there I can think of is that you get another thousand miles tacked on to the signup bonus if you sign up in flight (or save the referring employee ID number from the paper application onboard and fill it out online at home).
If you go to the other thread about this card:
you'll find in its wiki links to a personal card with 30k bonus miles plus $100 statement credit both after $1000 spend, and a business card with 30k bonus after $1000 spend. You could apply for both and get 60k bonus miles.

Meanwhile, with the business card you're guaranteed to get the right version or be denied. With the personal card, if BofA doesn't give you enough credit limit (either for valid reasons or due to a mistake on their part), you'll approved instead for the dreaded Platinum card, which only has 5k signup bonus instead of 30k signup bonus.

So if you want just one card that is the surest way to get the 30k bonus, apply for the business card rather than the personal card. (If you don't have a business, give your name as the business name, $0 for business income, the minimum (1?) for employees, 0 for years in business, and sole proprietorship as the business type. Don't make up any other answers, because then they're likely to demand documents from you !)
Old Dec 15, 2016, 3:16 pm

Cheers, found the $100 + 30K offer, applied & approved.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Delete

Last edited by TalkingPoint; Apr 1, 2017 at 11:43 am
Old Dec 19, 2016, 4:12 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by fauxreals
applied for the card two weeks ago and got it last week. completed the $1k spend the day i got it with the holiday spending. i got the 30k + $100 personal signature offer. how long does it take for points to post?
It took a few weeks for me, the delay made me nervous since I've churned this card so many time (this was maybe my 5th), but the points posted without issue. I recall the credit posted before the points did.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
today i received by mail some attractive convenience check offers, including two checks with 0% interest on purchases until July 18 and 1 check with 1.99% interest on transfers/purchases until Oct 18. usually i just throw these away, but the 0% term for 18 months drew my attention.

does anyone know if you earn miles on purchases/transfers made with these checks?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
today i received by mail some attractive convenience check offers, including two checks with 0% interest on purchases until July 18 and 1 check with 1.99% interest on transfers/purchases until Oct 18. usually i just throw these away, but the 0% term for 18 months drew my attention.

does anyone know if you earn miles on purchases/transfers made with these checks?
This is an annual fee card. Unless you're very careful, you won't necessarily have a 0% of 1.99% real interest rate when your annual fee comes due. If you only pay what you think you might need to pay, you'll be paying off your annual fee's amount off the 0% and your annual fee will take on your full interest rate from that point on.

If you don't want your life complicated, only take up 0% offers and such on no-annual-fee cards (that you don't use for anything else).

And that's exactly how banks time these offers. You wouldn't believe how many such offers I get a couple months before the annual fee is due. I never seem to get the right after the annual fee was paid.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by sdsearch
This is an annual fee card. Unless you're very careful, you won't necessarily have a 0% of 1.99% real interest rate when your annual fee comes due. If you only pay what you think you might need to pay, you'll be paying off your annual fee's amount off the 0% and your annual fee will take on your full interest rate from that point on.

If you don't want your life complicated, only take up 0% offers and such on no-annual-fee cards (that you don't use for anything else).

And that's exactly how banks time these offers. You wouldn't believe how many such offers I get a couple months before the annual fee is due. I never seem to get the right after the annual fee was paid.
I understand. My annual fee was paid in September. Anyways buried on the VERY fine print it said that check purchases didn't earn miles so I've thrown them out now as they are no longer compelling.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:40 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Delete

Last edited by TalkingPoint; Apr 1, 2017 at 11:43 am
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: N/A
If i applied and was approved for the BofA Alaska Card business and personal card 6 months ago, may I reapply for a new bonus again?

Understand these cards were churnable in the past but unsure of the current status. TIA!
Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:26 am

With the Virgin to AS mile transfers

Looks like the 30,000 mile sign-up offer is about as good as it gets on AS. And I could use an AS card for my families traveling. However, does the following make sense?

Sign up for Virgin 90k points card (we're getting ready to start a remodel so $12k will be easy to spend in 6 months) -> transfer those 90k points to AS at 1:1.3 -> end up with 117k AS miles -> then also sign up for AS card for the benefits, even if we don't get the 30k miles as well?

Likely to work out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.