Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by PointsNmiles
I would agree. I think the real issue is why, after March 2015, are there no awards available for F class long haul unless you beg with a phone representative to look in the "old system? Better yet, why are higher ups telling the representatives not to look at the old system, which clearly has the correct inventory? Chauffeur drive will be a moot point if you can't get the premium seats anymore.
It's not using the correct inventory though, the old system lets agents bypass restrictions that EK wanted to have on AS awards.

If EK got fed up with AS for circumventing the agreement, I could see them further cracking down on availability.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
It's not using the correct inventory though, the old system lets agents bypass restrictions that EK wanted to have on AS awards.

If EK got fed up with AS for circumventing the agreement, I could see them further cracking down on availability.
I'd say no availability is quite a crack down already. What restrictions are you speaking of that EK wanted to have specifically on AS awards?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
Originally Posted by ffman999
Why are you saying there is no availability? I just looked on FT and there is plenty of availability past March. I just looked up random dates in April/May for SFO-DXB and DFW-DXB and there are a lot of Z = 2 open. Are you not reading the previous pages correctly?
I presume you mean EF? LwoodY2K sufficiently explains my point.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by PointsNmiles
I'd say no availability is quite a crack down already. What restrictions are you speaking of that EK wanted to have specifically on AS awards?
That's what I was implying, that perhaps EK just said "no more after March" or something. But FWIW, I did check a random date in April and saw business class available JFK-DXB. I've got no insider knowledge or anything, just that this sort of thing has happened before. Even at 100K AS miles, it's a pretty good deal for an EK F seat.

The availability shown by the website is the availability that's suppose to be for AS awards. That's what an AS employee said, I don't think there is anything public about the actual details.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:18 pm

Programs: VS Gold
Perhaps the clever folks at the respective airlines have noticed the workarounds being discussed on FT, and are making an effort to reenforce the new SOP's that they intended.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by maxmin
Perhaps the clever folks at the respective airlines have noticed the workarounds being discussed on FT, and are making an effort to reenforce the new SOP's that they intended.
AS is fully aware of FT and what we discuss on it. Most airlines are actually. FT has gone too mainstream.

I still think EK is broken. Even if it is on AS site there is no guarantee it will work
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by SFO777
OK, I can understand that it's a bummer to lose limo service but "cause us to rethink some upcoming award planning"? Seriously?
Why not just stay home and you'll save even more money.
Guess I'm lucky that it isn't offered at my destination anyway and I'm not stopping over in DXB on my award . He's smugly proud of having four, but I've pulled an even better maneuver than that. And no, I won't be detailing it on the internet .
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
That's what I was implying, that perhaps EK just said "no more after March" or something. But FWIW, I did check a random date in April and saw business class available JFK-DXB. I've got no insider knowledge or anything, just that this sort of thing has happened before. Even at 100K AS miles, it's a pretty good deal for an EK F seat.

The availability shown by the website is the availability that's suppose to be for AS awards. That's what an AS employee said, I don't think there is anything public about the actual details.
In late December I booked Emirates in J on A380 through the AS website for SFO-DXB-CDG and return CDG-DXB-DFW for travel in June. So yes, there is still some availability - I just wish it was F and not J.

My online EK "Manage Booking" pages include the chauffeur drive links as they have for previous travel on the airline. I guess I made it in under the wire ...
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:42 pm

Is anyone else having issues with EK inventory showing on ExpertFlyer?? I'm used to the Alaska site not showing the correct inventory, but all of a sudden a bunch of flights on different dates out of different cities that I've been monitoring daily for weeks that have been Z=1 or Z=2 are ALL returning "No Entries." Hopefully a glitch???
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:20 pm

I see plenty of J till July.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:47 pm

Looking at Z inventory - which as I said had gone from a lot of Z=1 and Z=2 to nothing all of a sudden. But! Edit! Upon my latest check (of course I've been obsessing over this for the last two hours - my bf is SO close to the 90k needed to get on my SFO-MLE itinerary!), it appears the inventory that had disappeared across my many saved queries is back!
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
I'm seeing a lot of availability again past March... Anyone else?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Westin.
I'm seeing a lot of availability again past March... Anyone else?
I'm seeing it on EF but still not on the AS site. Are you talking F or J?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Originally Posted by batmandds
I'm seeing it on EF but still not on the AS site. Are you talking F or J?
F. I was looking on Expert Flyer... seeing a lot of Z2 availability

Or is Expert Flyer Irrelevant now?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Westin.
F. I was looking on Expert Flyer... seeing a lot of Z2 availability

Or is Expert Flyer Irrelevant now?
Its irrelevant unless you get someone who will go against policy and use the old system to manual sell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.