Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
I searched January from LAX to TYO and see that on eg Jan 23 there is an EK option. Are your dates the issue possibly?
Found it. Thanks LwoodY2K
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
One more data point for an SPG/AS transfer.

40k SPG > 50K AS

Requested Dec 2, Posted Dec 4.

Less than 48 hours.

Although I'm curious about something else. Checked (while waiting) and found 4 EK F seats on the route I wanted. Once miles posted, I booked 2 F seats from separate accounts and just after no more availability.

The week before on a different route there were 3 F seats and I booked 1. Just after, Nada...
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:13 am

After four calls, all agents tell me that they see what I can see on Alaska, even though I cand find Z=1 or Z=2 on expertflyer. What is the magic word for them? I asked if they can do a manual booking or if there is any other system to the do booking, but the answear has been no.
I'll still try a few more times, but is it just proper training or good will of the agents?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Carq
After four calls, all agents tell me that they see what I can see on Alaska, even though I cand find Z=1 or Z=2 on expertflyer. What is the magic word for them? I asked if they can do a manual booking or if there is any other system to the do booking, but the answear has been no.
I'll still try a few more times, but is it just proper training or good will of the agents?
Allegedly they are not supposed to be using the" old way" which is why you will find that most agents will not do it.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by rivlinm
One more data point for an SPG/AS transfer.

40k SPG > 50K AS

Requested Dec 2, Posted Dec 4.

Less than 48 hours.
Similar: 31k SPG -> 36k AS requested 12/2, posted 12/4.

And with that.... YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS finally booked my first A380 EK F trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lordy... have been trying repeatedly to make this work for over a year now. Really wanted to use it for a real trip versus a trip for the sake of flying (now who would do that... ) but kept having possibilities that would work go *poof*. Now I'm off to the Maldives in early April! SFO-DXB in F, but had to settle for DXB-MLE as that was all that was available, so now I just need to set alerts for J or F seats to open up.

Now just to start stalking that SQ suite for the flight back...
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: General Awesome Guy
Originally Posted by meehgz
Similar: 31k SPG -> 36k AS requested 12/2, posted 12/4.

And with that.... YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS finally booked my first A380 EK F trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lordy... have been trying repeatedly to make this work for over a year now. Really wanted to use it for a real trip versus a trip for the sake of flying (now who would do that... ) but kept having possibilities that would work go *poof*. Now I'm off to the Maldives in early April! SFO-DXB in F, but had to settle for DXB-MLE as that was all that was available, so now I just need to set alerts for J or F seats to open up.

Now just to start stalking that SQ suite for the flight back...
Nice get!!! I was in your boat 6 months ago (LAX => MLE). I kept monitoring, and moved my DXB=>MLE leg into first after about a month. For what it's worth, emirates said that i could use the F lounge in dubai, even though my onward flight was not in F because i had paid F redemption rate. They apparently noted in my booking that i would be allowed to use the F lounge. I moved up to F, so I didn't get to test this out.

I have another trip to the Maldives booked for June, and i also wanted SQ suites. I was able to find SIN => NRT => LAX in suites, but not MLE=>SIN. Bought that.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:54 am

I booked an AS F award from IKA>DXB/DXB>IAH. All was fine and I selected seats and booked chauffeur online with EK. A week later I moved the second flight back two days (same route) and now I am unable to change seats or book a chauffeur.

I called EK and after 15 minutes on hold was told they can not assist since it is an AS issued ticket. Then the agent said they would but was unable to and said I would need to call AS.

Thoughts?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I booked an AS F award from IKA>DXB/DXB>IAH. All was fine and I selected seats and booked chauffeur online with EK. A week later I moved the second flight back two days (same route) and now I am unable to change seats or book a chauffeur.

I called EK and after 15 minutes on hold was told they can not assist since it is an AS issued ticket. Then the agent said they would but was unable to and said I would need to call AS.

Thoughts?
Sounds like the ticket needs cleaned up by AS- give them a call.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

Thoughts?
I am not sure whether such routing is even valid
I though sanctions are still in place?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by mediator
I am not sure whether such routing is even valid
I though sanctions are still in place?
No travel sanctions. Can bring back limited personal souvenirs, but nothing business related.

OT, but the route that surprised me was TPA>CLT>IAD>AUH>BAH>IKA all booked on an AA award. Using US, EY, GF. I'm shocked EY publishes a TPA>IKA fare.

At least that's how I understand it.

Last edited by rivlinm; Dec 8, 2014 at 8:01 pm Reason: link added
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:13 am

Well, after about 20 calls I still couldn´t find any agent that could find anything different from what I get from Alaska.com (even with Z=2 on Expertflyer). At least hold times are really short (I don´t think that I had to wait more than 2 minutes on any call) and agents are really polite.
So I hope that sometime in the near future Alaska will load EK´s first class seats available after march 28th.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by WanderlustB
Nice get!!! I was in your boat 6 months ago (LAX => MLE). I kept monitoring, and moved my DXB=>MLE leg into first after about a month. For what it's worth, emirates said that i could use the F lounge in dubai, even though my onward flight was not in F because i had paid F redemption rate. They apparently noted in my booking that i would be allowed to use the F lounge. I moved up to F, so I didn't get to test this out.

I have another trip to the Maldives booked for June, and i also wanted SQ suites. I was able to find SIN => NRT => LAX in suites, but not MLE=>SIN. Bought that.
Beautiful news! Thanks for the hope!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat 100, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I'm planning a trip from SFO > MLE in September but there doesn't seem to be any award availability past June yet. Does EK only release awards 6 months out?

Because of Hyatt upping the category on the Park Hyatt Maldives in Jan., I have to book the reservation now with no flight awards available yet. My question is, when would be the best days of the week to plan for a First award? My choices are really only Sat, Sun, Mon at this point.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:47 pm

Anyone else having a problem with AS not displaying any EK F award availability past the end of March? There's lots of Z inventory available on EF - I've found as long as Z=2 on EF, AS will have the seats available (often Z=1 won't display and the call centre can't book it.)

After March not a single F seat to anywhere will display!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
Originally Posted by tng11
Anyone else having a problem with AS not displaying any EK F award availability past the end of March? There's lots of Z inventory available on EF - I've found as long as Z=2 on EF, AS will have the seats available (often Z=1 won't display and the call centre can't book it.)

After March not a single F seat to anywhere will display!
I've been looking every day for the last 3 weeks and am having the same problem. The CSR seem to have no idea on why this is happening either. There have been some blog postings about it as well but no one has a firm grasp on the situation. Hopefully it gets resolved soon!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.