Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CDKing
EK website states:
**OnAir Wi-Fi services may not be available over a number of countries including, China, India and the USA. Our service provider is working with regulatory authorities to extend coverage. the web, chat, tweet, check your email and more by connecting to OnAir Wi-Fi. OnAir is available on the majority of our A380 flights and a select number of Boeing B777 flights** – price plans for Wi-Fi start from just USD 2.75 for smartphones and USD 7.50 for tablets and laptops.
I've only seen is on the A380. Beware, it is metered and not "unlimited usage" like GoGo. $25 per 100 MB and then an accelerated per MB excess charges for anything over. But there is a meter so you can keep track of your usage. Avoid keeping sites that refresh themselves (like Drudge or ESPN.com Gamecast) open. Also, it does not work in some airspace and over certain countries where they don't have "rights", like the continental US.

Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Posting here rather than on the EK thread since it's more likely folks here have been on the SEA-DXB routes. It looks like the A380s have wireless. Not so with the B777s.

I've checked directly on the EK website ("See what's on your flight") and on SeatGuru for an answer -- but hope to get further insight here since neither of those sites is completely reliable.

From what I can determine, none of the B77Ws or B77Ls that operate on the SEA-DXB route are equipped with wi-fi.

Is this accurate or has anyone had wi-fi on either of those aircraft?

EK website states:

**OnAir Wi-Fi services may not be available over a number of countries including, China, India and the USA. Our service provider is working with regulatory authorities to extend coverage. the web, chat, tweet, check your email and more by connecting to OnAir Wi-Fi. OnAir is available on the majority of our A380 flights and a select number of Boeing B777 flights** – price plans for Wi-Fi start from just USD 2.75 for smartphones and USD 7.50 for tablets and laptops.
Yes, I've read that same information on the EK website. I also know from reading the forums that the EK website (like SeatGuru) is known to be woefully not always up-to-date.

The question is about the "select number" of B777s equipped with wi-fi. Even if it's not available over the US it could be available over other areas -- and I have 2 segments that are DXB-HKG and return that are also on B777s.

I was hoping someone has already had personal experience with these flights. My trip begins later this month. (Seat 2A, are you lurking and did you take the SEA routing on your recent trip? Still waiting for a trip report, BTW. )

If there's no one here that's yet to fly SEA-DXB then I'll probably need to cross-post over on the EK forum.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: AS MVPG
I flew DFW-DXB on the 777LR, same aircraft type as SEA-DXB. It did not have wifi.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines 75K, Marriott Gold, National Rental Executive Elite
SEA to DXB Using Miles for EK - Dubai Connect?

Just booked an award flight in business for me and my wife from PDX to SEA to DXB to CMN on Emirates. Our layover is about 12 hours in Dubai overnight and I have read about a service called Dubai Connect for business/first class. However, when I go look at the reservation on the EK wbsite, it does not show it as an option. Does anyone here have any experience with using AA miles for EK business flights and getting the Dubai Connect service? Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...1-16-13-a.html

Posts #199 and #200 in this thread suggest that the answer is "no" --- no Dubai Connect benefits on AS mileage-issued tickets that would otherwise appear to qualify.

And welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:03 pm

it seems like ef ek award space doesn't match what's available on as.com. Does anyone have personal experience on who is right?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:13 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by yerffej201
it seems like ef ek award space doesn't match what's available on as.com. Does anyone have personal experience on who is right?
EK is right, and AS occasionally is wrong. EF searches tend to be correct 99% of the time.

A call to the agent will repair this.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My experience has been that EF is accurate, AS.com not always. Did you call and talk with someone at the AS partner desk? They can see usually find the the EF space but only if they know how to. After multiple calls changing and massaging our JFK-DXB-JNB trip a few months ago, I learned that there are apparently two ways to search for EK space. The old "manual" system (that's how two agents described it to me) is the best way. Not every agent knows how to do this, but even if they don't, my experience has been that they will usually try to find out and help. If not, just HUCA.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
EK is right, and AS occasionally is wrong. EF searches tend to be correct 99% of the time.

More like AS site is occasionally right.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*

Yes, to both of the above.

Last edited by pdxasflyer; Nov 15, 2013 at 9:58 am Reason: formatting
Old Nov 15, 2013, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
My experience has been that EF is accurate, AS.com not always. Did you call and talk with someone at the AS partner desk? They can see usually find the the EF space but only if they know how to. After multiple calls changing and massaging our JFK-DXB-JNB trip a few months ago, I learned that there are apparently two ways to search for EK space. The old "manual" system (that's how two agents described it to me) is the best way. Not every agent knows how to do this, but even if they don't, my experience has been that they will usually try to find out and help. If not, just HUCA.
Thanks y'all. I'll call soon and report back with the results.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Thanks y'all. I'll call soon and report back with the results.
I just called, had no problem booking my CX flight from JNB but failed on EK flight, I mentioned "sending a message to EK" and she said they dont do that. It was hard to tell which way she was trying to book it. Ill have to try again later. Website shows F SEA to DXB and J to JNB.

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 15, 2013 at 3:39 pm
Old Nov 15, 2013, 3:01 pm

I just called, had no problem booking my CX flight to JNB but failed on EK flight, I mentioned "sending a message to EK" and she said they dont do that. It was hard to tell which way she was trying to book it. Ill have to try again later. Website shows F SEA to DXB and J to JNB.
Bleh... that's no good. so agent didn't see space available online?
Old Nov 15, 2013, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just called, had no problem booking my CX flight to JNB but failed on EK flight, I mentioned "sending a message to EK" and she said they dont do that. It was hard to tell which way she was trying to book it. Ill have to try again later. Website shows F SEA to DXB and J to JNB.
Try another agent. If EF shows it, AS should be able to book it. You just need to get a competent and willing agent.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 3:42 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

You can't merge two partners together in an award.

And EK is only bookable if USA is the origin/destination.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.