Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:01 pm

So there were 2 seats available LAX-DXB Feb 28 (visible on AS.com) - but once I booked one, the other disappeared?!

Has this happened for anybody else? It's useless if only one of us can go! Need to debit miles from two accounts

Should I cancel and go back to square one?
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:06 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I've noticed this before too. As someone who has booked several EK F tickets now, I would highly recommend calling Alaska instead of relying on the website.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:28 pm

The worst part was, EF was showing Z=2 as well, but after booking one, EF dropped to zero, and so did AS.

Ended up cancelling the ticket, but Z only went back to 1 for that date on AS and EF. Can't even rebook it
Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:08 am

Does anyone know if Alaska has access to the same Emirates award availability that shows up in the Qantas award search engine? Or is Expert Flyer the only reliable place to search?
Old Dec 24, 2014, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by ffman999
Yes. I just booked 4/16.
What was the dialog like?
ffman999: I'd like to book a award flight from LAX to DXB on april 16th.
AS Agent: Ok, let me check... there is a flight leaving LAX at 16:45 and arriving in DXB at 19:35.
ffman999: That`s okay. I'd like to fly first class.
AS Agent: Ok, it will be 90k miles.

or

AS Agent: Ok, let me check... there is a flight leaving LAX at 16:45 and arriving in DXB at 19:35.
AS Agent: There is no first class available, only coach or business.
ffman999: Is it possible to book manually? It seems like there is a glitch on AS system.
AS Agent: Ok, let me try.... I've found one seat. It will cost 90k miles.

or

ffman999: Is it possible to book manually? It seems like there is a glitch on AS system.
AS Agent: No, this doesn't exist. What's available is what you can search on AS site.
ffman999: [password].
AS Agent: Oh, Mr. ffman999, I just managed to find a first class seat. It will cost 90k miles.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 7:37 am

I had good luck asking if we could search segment by segment. Maybe that's the password
Old Dec 24, 2014, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by crimsona
The worst part was, EF was showing Z=2 as well, but after booking one, EF dropped to zero, and so did AS.

Ended up cancelling the ticket, but Z only went back to 1 for that date on AS and EF. Can't even rebook it
Ended up calling in this morning and got an agent who was able to hold both seats and debit 2 separate accounts (different date, both showed online at AS.com). Not ideal timings (DFW instead of LAX) but it's done.

Well worth the booking fee, done in 10 minutes
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Originally Posted by crimsona
So there were 2 seats available LAX-DXB Feb 28 (visible on AS.com) - but once I booked one, the other disappeared?!

Has this happened for anybody else?
I have had this happen twice and I think I may have written about it upstream.

First time z4 I booked one via phone and within 30 min AS.com showed 0 F.

Second time z4 I booked one online while simultaneously calling to change first ticket to this flight. 30 min later AS.com showed 0 F.

I didn't explore to see if it was just online not displaying anymore, but I suspect booking one F seat really hurts the visibility of potential availability online.

Was a stressful waiting process (SPG transfer) for just this reason, but all's well that ends well.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 9:31 am

My agent booked us both under the same PNR so she somehow made one booking but took payment from 2 accounts - I did explain to her my problems last night.

Have to overnight in DFW and lose a night in DXB, but better than redoing it completely
Old Dec 24, 2014, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Carq
What was the dialog like?
AS Agent: Ok, it will be 90k miles.

or

AS Agent: Ok, let me try.... I've found one seat. It will cost 90k miles.

or

AS Agent: No, this doesn't exist. What's available is what you can search on AS site.
ffman999: [password].
AS Agent: Oh, Mr. ffman999, I just managed to find a first class seat. It will cost 90k miles.
When I call, I tell them I want to make or switch my reservation and give them the exact EK/AS flight numbers, dates and times that I want, based on EF. It always seems to work out. P.S. do get a Boise agent!
Old Dec 25, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, VS Gold Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by rivlinm
I would.
Yah I was thinking the same thing, but the wife is on a paid ticket from work on the day and in J.

EF shows 1 seat but Alaska shows none.
Also Emirates shows an upgrade available on my wifes booking.
Its funny the day in question has the fewest number of seats booked.

I am going to keep calling Alaska and see if they can get me into the F seat on the flight I want. Who knows they were able to do the mixed booking with the stop over. I think the key to getting that done was booking online and calling them for the change.

Merry Christmas
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by ffman999
When I call, I tell them I want to make or switch my reservation and give them the exact EK/AS flight numbers, dates and times that I want, based on EF. It always seems to work out. P.S. do get a Boise agent!
Well, after about 25 calls, I finally managed to book a first class seat on a flight after 03/28. After receiving the same answer that there was no first class seat available, the magic sentence or password was "can you use the older system to check if there is first class available?" And voilà, the agent “miraculously” found what EF and Qantas was showing to me.
I already have the booking numbers and my credit card has been charged, but I still haven´t received an email confirmation or can view the booking on both AS or EK. I hope that´s only a matter of time.
Thanks, ffman999, you did really help.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Carq
Well, after about 25 calls, I finally managed to book a first class seat on a flight after 03/28. After receiving the same answer that there was no first class seat available, the magic sentence or password was "can you use the older system to check if there is first class available?" And voilà, the agent “miraculously” found what EF and Qantas was showing to me.
I already have the booking numbers and my credit card has been charged, but I still haven´t received an email confirmation or can view the booking on both AS or EK. I hope that´s only a matter of time.
Thanks, ffman999, you did really help.
How long ago did you book? I've had it take 12-24 hours before I receive the email confirmation. Although usually if I go into my Trips on alaskaair.com, I can see it then (including EK confirmation numbers to check their website).
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by ednpub
Thanks for the advice. Now that some new flight options have opened up for me, I've tried again with no success due to the married segments issue. Is there some special term that I should use to ask them to try again? I've even had to press to get a change to my AS segment when there was a two hour change in flight times... they are still researching if they can change that segment.
They were able to change the AS leg of my flight, but they are still not allowing me to make any changes to the other segments of my route. Each time I've called (including getting Boise) they have said that the entire award needs to be available, not just a single segment in order to make the change.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
Lap infant

Has anybody tried to book a ticket for a lap infant. I have a ow F ticket to CDG and when I contacted EK they couldn't price it as single ticket and had to price each segment separately resulting in a fare close to $3000.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.