Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by flyersky1
Has anybody tried to book a ticket for a lap infant. I have a ow F ticket to CDG and when I contacted EK they couldn't price it as single ticket and had to price each segment separately resulting in a fare close to $3000.
Looking at Expertflyer it does not appear EK has a fare filed from US to Paris. I tried SFO, SEA, DFW & BOS. I even got $24,000 adult fare quotes on nonstop one way SEA-DXB when looking.

Last edited by CDKing; Dec 30, 2014 at 12:41 pm
Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
Thank you for checking. I think that's why the agent had to price them separately. The award ticket is SFO-DXB-CDG. I was wondering if someone had a prior experience with that. I guess if I want a lap infant ticket, I will have to pay the $3000 extra.

Originally Posted by CDKing
Looking at Expertflyer it does not appear EK has a fare filed from US to Paris. I tried SFO, SEA, DFW & BOS. I even got $24,000 adult fare quotes on nonstop one way SEA-DXB when looking.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by flyersky1
Thank you for checking. I think that's why the agent had to price them separately. The award ticket is SFO-DXB-CDG. I was wondering if someone had a prior experience with that. I guess if I want a lap infant ticket, I will have to pay the $3000 extra.
This is where BA & AC shine. The former charges 10% of miles and the latter a fixed amount (5K ?)
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:46 pm

Aeroplan charges $100 CAD or 10k in business or $125/12.5 AP miles for first.

You pay through the nose for fuel surcharges for the parents though, so... win some, lose some.

Would it be possible to book a reward business class ticket for baby? Or would that not work...
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k
Originally Posted by Carq
Well, after about 25 calls, I finally managed to book a first class seat on a flight after 03/28. After receiving the same answer that there was no first class seat available, the magic sentence or password was "can you use the older system to check if there is first class available?" And voilà, the agent “miraculously” found what EF and Qantas was showing to me.
I already have the booking numbers and my credit card has been charged, but I still haven´t received an email confirmation or can view the booking on both AS or EK. I hope that´s only a matter of time.
Thanks, ffman999, you did really help.
Thank you Carq.. asking to check the older system is the magic password. It failed a few times with the Seattle agents, but this agent in Phoenix got her supervisor to approve the request to check the old system
Old Dec 31, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
I wouldn't mind booking it but there's no availability. And the baby maybe a little lonely in business while we are in F

Originally Posted by crimsona
Aeroplan charges $100 CAD or 10k in business or $125/12.5 AP miles for first.

You pay through the nose for fuel surcharges for the parents though, so... win some, lose some.

Would it be possible to book a reward business class ticket for baby? Or would that not work...
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, VS Gold Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold,
I love reading these forums and learning things.

Alaska's website showed only Mixed First/Business on connecting flights
HKG-DXB First DXB-JFK Business

I wanted a stopover in DXB and unless there was one class the whole way I was stuck. So I booked
HKG-DXB with 2 day lay over and DXB-JFK all in business. Booked online

Then I started Reading and was determined to get First

EF showed 2 seats on my fist leg but the stop over caused some csr's not to want to check. Found a really nice girl one day who said ok let me try. Boom
Got my first flight in First.

So I have been checking and EF still showed 1 saver First seat open for my 2nd leg.
I called in and got the right desk, she saw there was the saver seat in first even though Alaska's website didn't show it, after a quick call to the partner desk and .20 cents in taxes my whole itinerary is in First.

When you call back in to make changes make sure you enter your alaska number and that you say its a points booking and you tend to get to the right desk.

HKG-DXB First stop over 2 days DXB-JFK First
Win - persistence pays off.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Droch
I love reading these forums and learning things.

When you call back in to make changes make sure you enter your alaska number and that you say its a points booking and you tend to get to the right desk.

HKG-DXB First stop over 2 days DXB-JFK First
Thanks for the report. I'm about to do the same thing as I want to change my dates and the website isn't showing availability even though EF is. Hopefully it won't take too many calls.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Droch
EF showed 2 seats on my fist leg but the stop over caused some csr's not to want to check. Found a really nice girl one day who said ok let me try. Boom
Got my first flight in First.

Congratulations on your persistence and in scoring EK First.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, VS Gold Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by nemme99
Thanks for the report. I'm about to do the same thing as I want to change my dates and the website isn't showing availability even though EF is. Hopefully it won't take too many calls.
My last call for the 2nd Flight I already had the First Class and I just told the woman that I can see saver availability on partner sites- one call to the partner desk and it was approved and before I was off the phone the booking on Alaska's website was updated.

Good luck and make sure you enter your Alaska number and say its a points booking in the prompts and it seems you get to the right people.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
Was this for a booking after March 2015? Congrats by the way...
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm looking to book a ticket in F class in October. Is that too far to call in? How do I check availability if it is only showing out through March? Sorry for the newbie question.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

One can book up to 330 days out for awards with AS and its partners. If there is space is another story.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

One can book up to 330 days out for awards with AS and its partners. If there is space is another story.
I guess that's my question... what's the best way to find out if there is space?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Either use EF or search manually on the Alaska site. I'm searching for a flight towards the end of September. For the route I am taking, I am seeing availability only up to the end of March for now. I keep checking to see when they release more seats farther out into the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.