Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
You usually have to call AS to make it happen.
Hint: You may want to actually read the last few pages of this thread.
I called AS and she said there was nothing they could do, keep trying to book til I found a date that worked. From the last few pages of this thread I thought people were talking about trying to book F seats AFTER March, which is when the website stops showing availability.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by finloopio
I called AS and she said there was nothing they could do...
How many times did you call?
Hint: You may want to actually read the last few pages of this thread.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Heads Up: All Chauffeur bookings have been revoked. Even if you put in a destination and contact info, all of it is gone. Ridiculous policy. This is for flights booked in 2014.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Heads Up: All Chauffeur bookings have been revoked. Even if you put in a destination and contact info, all of it is gone. Ridiculous policy. This is for flights booked in 2014.
Yeah, I'm quite upset about this too. The chauffeur bookings in my reservation for March (that I made last year) no longer show in my reservation. At least I found out about it -- I wonder if there are people with reservations this week who will be waiting for their limo that never comes!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I guess I'll have to keep my eyes on this. If they go as far as to stop AS redemptions on EK, I'll need another way to get to DXB and then back home for my honeymoon in September.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:49 pm

Anyone had any success in getting the chauffeur service re-instated? Wondering how much effort to put into this as my chauffeur bookings are also gone.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
The Chauffeur-Drive section has disappeared entirely from award bookings. On the other hand, I have a revenue ticket and the Chauffeur-Drive section is where it always has been.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:43 am

I've been accumulating AS miles like crazy because I was REALLY looking forward to flying EK F from LAX-DXB-BKK early next year. From the looks of it, this won't happen. I've also read about their J; the impression I get is that it's nice, but maybe not much better than many other international J products.

As an alternative, I looked into F availability for Etihad with AA miles. However, availability on the A380 is extremely scarce, especially for 2 seats.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I've been accumulating AS miles like crazy because I was REALLY looking forward to flying EK F from LAX-DXB-BKK early next year. From the looks of it, this won't happen. I've also read about their J; the impression I get is that it's nice, but maybe not much better than many other international J products.
CX F is also very good and for the route you mention is cheaper, so you could look in to that if the EK problem continues.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:23 pm

Did 17 HUACAs today so far with no luck.

Hoping I have better chances calling at night?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:08 pm

Scratch that - call #18 was my lucky call.

Booked YYZ-DXB-HKG in F for June without pushback from the agent. ^
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EP, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tng11

Did you have to ask the agent to use the "old system" or "manual sell" like others have reported?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold

Congrats! It's great to hear it's still possible with some patience. I'm looking to book in Sept for 2 so hopefully the partnership continues. Hope you enjoy all of those hours in EK F!^
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:53 pm

(redacted)

Booking isn't for me but for two relatives, their first time in F. I have HKG-DXB-DFW coming in Feb.

Last edited by tng11; Jan 16, 2015 at 10:56 pm
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:21 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy

Good to hear that some people are finding F award space after March.

Lucky (One Mile at a Time blog) wrote in his column this week speculating there would no longer be F available for EK redemption using AS miles ... if true, that would be really bad news.

I'll see if I can find a way to copy/ paste the link from my tablet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.