Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Originally Posted by CDKing
Its irrelevant unless you get someone who will go against policy and use the old system to manual sell.
No one has news on this new policy? Scary
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I was successful in getting an agent to do a manual sell for me, for a somewhat complex itinerary involving 3 legs each way and a stopover. Everything came back confirmed in First Class, including two shorter segments which showed Z=1 in EF (and for which I would have been plenty happy in business class.) It's also worth noting that due to married segment availability I made sure we confirmed the segments one by one.

I feel very fortunate and wish I could contribute tips to the community but at the end of the day it seems to be a question of luck more than anything.

Prior to calling I tried every possible way to book through the web site and also attempted the "call to upgrade" trick described above, all to no avail.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Westin.
No one has news on this new policy? Scary
Its been the policy for a long time now. its just selective enforcement.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
EF has Z=2 availability 6 months out. I've been checking every day and Z=1 changes to Z=2 one day further out each time.

But since my trip is in September, I'm going to have to hope agents will still do a manual sell when March rolls around
Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Originally Posted by Pat+
I was successful in getting an agent to do a manual sell for me, for a somewhat complex itinerary involving 3 legs each way and a stopover. Everything came back confirmed in First Class, including two shorter segments which showed Z=1 in EF (and for which I would have been plenty happy in business class.) It's also worth noting that due to married segment availability I made sure we confirmed the segments one by one.

I feel very fortunate and wish I could contribute tips to the community but at the end of the day it seems to be a question of luck more than anything.

Prior to calling I tried every possible way to book through the web site and also attempted the "call to upgrade" trick described above, all to no avail.
When was this that you did it?

What exactly did you say for them to do it?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chongl
EF has Z=2 availability 6 months out. I've been checking every day and Z=1 changes to Z=2 one day further out each time.

But since my trip is in September, I'm going to have to hope agents will still do a manual sell when March rolls around
Does Z=2 availability mean i can book two seats or does there have to show 3?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:26 pm

The bf finally got all of his miles posted and I had my itinerary replicated for him! Traveling SFO-DXB-MLE in April, with the first segment in F and the second segment in Y (no J available as of now). First agent said there was no way to do it if she couldn't see it, so I HUACA, got an agent who had no idea what I was talking about when I said manual sell/can you check the older system as that's what the agent who booked my itinerary said she needed to use. She said she needed to ask someone else what that meant, put me on hold for 25 minutes checking in with me just once, and came back asking how I wanted to pay for the fees. Score! Now for the great 1EF vs. 2EF decision
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: QR Platinum (Oneworld Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (Skyteam Gold), Shangri-La GC (Jade)
I just completed SFO-DXB in F on AS mileage and I can tell you that I was a bit disappointed in the overall experience. Maybe I was expecting too much. I also put lots of effort and creative thinking in booking it online and through the call center and I was really looking forward to a fan-tas-tic experience.

Although the shower is a unique and awesome feature, the rest of the service was not really better than in other F cabins. Service and food in LH F is much better and service in Thai F is way friendlier than EK's. I'll be trying QR F on the A380 in March and I'd like to see how it compares.

The suite concept is nice but at time it feels claustrophobic.

I must perhaps mention that it was a full cabin (13/14) and it might have had an impact on service.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wandering_persian
What was your seat/suite number?
1AK and traveling solo in a middle seat can feel that way at times.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: QR Platinum (Oneworld Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (Skyteam Gold), Shangri-La GC (Jade)
Originally Posted by SFO777
What was your seat/suite number?
2K!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2K!
There goes that idea as that would have been my 1st choice.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Some call it claustrophobic, some call it privacy. I find it quite private, as I don't get claustrophobic. And, I like privacy.

I must perhaps mention that it was a full cabin (13/14) and it might have had an impact on service.
Chalk up two of the real benefits of the 777 Suites with EK. Much more personal attention having only 8 seats, and much less claustrophobic with the high ceilings and your suite door opening to the suite next to you vs. the staggered suites on the A380 where you just see a wall outside your door.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
Originally Posted by whimike
Some call it claustrophobic, some call it privacy. I find it quite private, as I don't get claustrophobic. And, I like privacy.

Chalk up two of the real benefits of the 777 Suites with EK. Much more personal attention having only 8 seats, and much less claustrophobic with the high ceilings and your suite door opening to the suite next to you vs. the staggered suites on the A380 where you just see a wall outside your door.
I guess it's a personal thing, but I was highly impressed with the service, food, and the shower was awesome
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
Okay, help a newb out please. I've tried three times (different dates) to book EK F class tickets on Alaskaair.com and it always gives me the partner availability error when submitting payment information and processing my cart. How often is availability updated so that I am not just searching for a needle in a haystack? Tricks to see actual availability? I need two tickets.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by finloopio
Okay, help a newb out please. I've tried three times (different dates) to book EK F class tickets on Alaskaair.com and it always gives me the partner availability error when submitting payment information and processing my cart. How often is availability updated so that I am not just searching for a needle in a haystack? Tricks to see actual availability? I need two tickets.
You usually have to call AS to make it happen.
Hint: You may want to actually read the last few pages of this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.