Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:27 pm

A friend just had an experience with the partner desk contrary to the married segments requirement: had reserved first from USA gateway to Dubai with a stopover, and onward travel from Dubai to Europe destination in business. The Dubai-Europe segment became available in first but an additional first seat was not available from USA-Dubai, thus seemingly making the change to the Europe segment impossible. Au contraire. The unnamed partner desk agent made it happen, changing the second segment to first without rebooking the first.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:03 pm

Can you do a stopover and a 23 hr layover on a one way award?

LAX-DXB
DXB-BKK 23 hour stopover
BKK-PVG
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Can you do a stopover and a 23 hr layover on a one way award?

LAX-DXB
DXB-BKK 23 hour stopover
BKK-PVG
The vast majority of international tickets treat connections of <24 hours as not a stopover. So (for EK/AS at least) you should be fine.
(I'm assuming you're doing a >24 hour stopover in DXB)
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
The vast majority of international tickets treat connections of <24 hours as not a stopover. So (for EK/AS at least) you should be fine.
(I'm assuming you're doing a >24 hour stopover in DXB)
Correct.

I'm new to booking awards with Alaska Air. Would this trip be bookable online? When I go to multi-city and select miles it asks for a return trip.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:26 pm

Correct.

I'm new to booking awards with Alaska Air. Would this trip be bookable online? When I go to multi-city and select miles it asks for a return trip.
You should be able to just leave the return sections blank and not have any problems.

That being said...
Does EK fly from BKK to PVG? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BKK#Air...d_destinations only mentions Christchurch, Dubai, Hong Kong, Sydney as EK options so I don't know how you're expecting to get to PVG.
(Just putting LAX-DXB and then DXB-HKG a week later priced as 1 award for me with DXB-BKK-HKG being an option for some random dates)
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
You should be able to just leave the return sections blank and not have any problems.

That being said...
Does EK fly from BKK to PVG? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BKK#Air...d_destinations only mentions Christchurch, Dubai, Hong Kong, Sydney as EK options so I don't know how you're expecting to get to PVG.
(Just putting LAX-DXB and then DXB-HKG a week later priced as 1 award for me with DXB-BKK-HKG being an option for some random dates)
Just was using the route as an example. If you were to do the LAX-DXB and then DXB-BKK-HKG, how can you get the BKK stop for ~23 hours?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:19 am

Just was using the route as an example. If you were to do the LAX-DXB and then DXB-BKK-HKG, how can you get the BKK stop for ~23 hours?
Well first you'd need EK to fly at that interval. Inconveniently for you, they don't seem to be doing that.

Right now the timing I'm seeing through BKK on a LAX-DXB/DXB-HKG search on AS' site is arriving on EK370 at 1220am and then leaving at 145pm on EK384, which is 13h25m in BKK. It looks like there is only the 1 daily BKK-HKG flight but several DXB-BKK flights. For the day I was using (March 8th) the best timing option would be EK418 which arrives at 605pm (but I'm assuming it didn't have award availability the day I looked). I'll note that EK372 arrives at 640pm and is on the A380 rather than B777 that EK418 is on, if you prefer one vs. the other.

So in summary the best it looks like you can theoretically do right now is a 19h40m layover (subject to finding availability).
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by mczlaw
For those who have expressed concern about the availability of EK F awards, I found multiple dates in mid- and late November where 1 or 2 F seats are available LAX-DXB on AS.com. Booked one myself. This is A380. There you go. No excuses (Thanksgiving is overrated anyway )

--mcz
Ditto. I snared one of the EK F seats on the A380 LAX-DXB for that week, too, continuing on a few days later to HKG.

My plan is to visit the places I missed the first time - and revisit a few I still can't get out of my mind. I'm thinking of celebrating Thanksgiving by having lunch again at Atmosphere in the Burj Kahlifa. It was magnificent.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Ha you grabbed seats on a flight I was eyeing (I couldn't take it anyways!).

Enjoy!
Thanks! When are you going to SIN?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Actually DXB - HKG - probably December now.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by flytoeat
A friend just had an experience with the partner desk contrary to the married segments requirement: had reserved first from USA gateway to Dubai with a stopover, and onward travel from Dubai to Europe destination in business. The Dubai-Europe segment became available in first but an additional first seat was not available from USA-Dubai, thus seemingly making the change to the Europe segment impossible. Au contraire. The unnamed partner desk agent made it happen, changing the second segment to first without rebooking the first.

This just happened again. The partner desk changed one of two EK segments, leaving the other in place. There was not additional availability for the segment left in place. Seems the married segments rule is not always being applied?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:06 pm

I have a pending case with a supervisor because the partner desk says no changes can be made to a confirmed EK award ticket unless the same capacity is still available. Having booked some F class A380, there are no other seats available in the award category on the same dates. Had to escalate it to a supervisor who I told they need to fix this as this is a AS issue that was not disclosed to me when I booked previously. So I told them they need to find a way to repair this.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by cheapguy69
I have a pending case with a supervisor because the partner desk says no changes can be made to a confirmed EK award ticket unless the same capacity is still available. Having booked some F class A380, there are no other seats available in the award category on the same dates. Had to escalate it to a supervisor who I told they need to fix this as this is a AS issue that was not disclosed to me when I booked previously. So I told them they need to find a way to repair this.
I'm a little dumb but what is the problem? You have an F seat on the 380 already don't you?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Pulley
I'm a little dumb but what is the problem? You have an F seat on the 380 already don't you?
Because the agreement between AS and EK is that they have to completely cancel a confirmation if you need to make any segment changes. As says they cant just add or remove a segment without re-ticketing the whole trip. So there is no guarantee if you will get the same availability once they cancel your original ticket to make the change.

We have LAX-DXB but need to go DXB-MLE as that is our final destination. That segment wasn't available when the first segment was booked.

So since this wasn't disclosed on the website or to me, I told them they need to find a way to make it happen.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by cheapguy69
Because the agreement between AS and EK is that they have to completely cancel a confirmation if you need to make any segment changes. As says they cant just add or remove a segment without re-ticketing the whole trip. So there is no guarantee if you will get the same availability once they cancel your original ticket to make the change.

We have LAX-DXB but need to go DXB-MLE as that is our final destination. That segment wasn't available when the first segment was booked.

So since this wasn't disclosed on the website or to me, I told them they need to find a way to make it happen.
OK I get it now. It would be almost impossible to rebook the entire trip in F when the DXB-MLE becomes available. It does seem odd that they can't just change the second leg. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.