Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2013, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
Yes. US-DXB-JNB on EK is 100K, while US-HKG-JNB is only 70K. We split our trips up into one ways like this as we found that JNB/CPT-DXB-US on EK was impossible to find in advance for the dates we wanted. Another more expensive option is JNB-AUH-JFK/IAD for 135K AA miles although JNB-AUH is two class service. With AA miles, JNB-LHR-US on BA is also an option, but then you have BA surcharges and substandard BA F.
Have not considered AA award on this route at all because it is simply not worth the miles charged plus the BA YQ on a subpar product.

It is still good to be able to split the US to South Africa between CX and EK when one has schedule constraint.

I was initially looking to travel in Mar/Apr time frame but the HHonor pts devaluation forced an Asia only trip this coming Dec/Jan upon us as it was much easier to just throw things together when not enough time to do some research because our trips tend to be lengthy, often over 35 days long.

Now my goal is between Sept and Nov 2014 - need to pay attention on when CX down gauge the frequency of F between US and HKG, as well as the HKG-JNB service. I read somewhere in Airline Route site that CX downgauged the JNB-HKG service to 2 classes between Late Oct 2013 and Feb 2014.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Happy
Now my goal is between Sept and Nov 2014 - need to pay attention on when CX down gauge the frequency of F between US and HKG, as well as the HKG-JNB service. I read somewhere in Airline Route site that CX downgauged the JNB-HKG service to 2 classes between Late Oct 2013 and Feb 2014.
Check CX again. We are going to CPT in late February and when I first started looking for a return, CX was showing 2 class service 3 days a week. Recently they changed back to three class daily, so I booked it. In January and early Feb, it is now a mix of two class and three class days.

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 6, 2013 at 2:49 pm
Old Sep 6, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Have recently noticed some flights opening up in the spring DXB-NA. SEA and LAX, particularly and both Z and D classes.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
Have recently noticed some flights opening up in the spring DXB-NA. SEA and LAX, particularly and both Z and D classes.
^^
Old Sep 8, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: Hilton, Marriott, Club Carlson, AA, UA, AS, SQ, AF
I am looking to try to snag two first class seats from Dubai back to North American on EK a380 first class in June. My initial plan was to just have to wait until the departure date got closer and then book it last minute (that seemed to be the only time Alaska's site showed first class availability). But then I came across this thread.

From going over a bunch of these posts, it seems like there is a mixture here between Alaska's website not being accurate and EK releasing a certain number of seats (not a lot).

There are however multiple people who have booked EK first seats already in 2014; were those seats found on expert flyer? I see first class seats on September 18th and 19th on Expert Flyer but not on Alaska's website. Are they still bookable with Alaska Miles?

Last edited by merice107107; Sep 8, 2013 at 5:20 pm
Old Sep 8, 2013, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by merice107107
I am looking to try to snag two first class seats from Dubai back to North American on EK a380 first class in June. My initial plan was to just have to wait until the departure date got closer and then book it last minute (that seemed to be the only time Alaska's site showed first class availability). But then I came across this thread.

From going over a bunch of these posts, it seems like there is a mixture here between Alaska's website not being accurate and EK releasing a certain number of seats (not a lot).

There are however multiple people who have booked EK first seats already in 2014; were those seats found on expert flyer? I don't have expert flyer but would get it if that meant I could snag some EK first seats.
From the few days I've checked EF seems to match as.com.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: Hilton, Marriott, Club Carlson, AA, UA, AS, SQ, AF
Originally Posted by yerffej201
From the few days I've checked EF seems to match as.com.
For the dates that are closer. I can't seem to find anything on AS or EF starting in 2014. I must be doing something wrong right?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: General Awesome Guy
I booked F on emirates recently for March 2014. I still see plenty of availability TO DXB but not coming back to the US.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by merice107107
For the dates that are closer. I can't seem to find anything on AS or EF starting in 2014. I must be doing something wrong right?
I recall some JFK space (although some is via MXP too).

Originally Posted by WanderlustB
I booked F on emirates recently for March 2014. I still see plenty of availability TO DXB but not coming back to the US.
Yes that has always been the case.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I set up an Z inventory alert on Expertflyer which alerted today that LAX-DXB for January on A380 opened up. Change my ticket this morning LAX-DXB-SIN in F on A380. I initially booked a F award ticket for Feb just becasue it was available but finally have a reservation to somewhere I was already going.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CDKing
I set up an Z inventory alert on Expertflyer which alerted today that LAX-DXB for January on A380 opened up. Change my ticket this morning LAX-DXB-SIN in F on A380. I initially booked a F award ticket for Feb just becasue it was available but finally have a reservation to somewhere I was already going.
Very nice. Yesterday I booked one Z JNB-DXB-SEA-DEN for our October return. If EK releases a second Z seat, I can then dump my JNB-AUH-JFK EY rez and save 70K miles.

OT, but the AS partner desk agents are some of the nicest and most helpful I've come across of all the airlines I deal with.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
Just booked an F award ICN-DXB-LAX for next March. LAX-DXB seems to have better F availability than any other US routes, at least far in advance. DXB-LAX not so much, but I found a few around Feb-March 2014.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
Very nice. Yesterday I booked one Z JNB-DXB-SEA-DEN for our October return. If EK releases a second Z seat, I can then dump my JNB-AUH-JFK EY rez and save 70K miles.

OT, but the AS partner desk agents are some of the nicest and most helpful I've come across of all the airlines I deal with.
I need to change my positioning flight. Luckily with my new days BOS-LAX has a Y saver on AA. My initial itin only had AA F which costs way too many miles. I'm in CX F on the way back. My trip is to SIN DO

BOS-LAX (AA Y) LAX-DXB-SIN (EK F) SIN-HKG-JFK (CX F) 182.5K AS miles.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by CDKing
I need to change my positioning flight. Luckily with my new days BOS-LAX has a Y saver on AA. My initial itin only had AA F which costs way too many miles. I'm in CX F on the way back. My trip is to SIN DO

BOS-LAX (AA Y) LAX-DXB-SIN (EK F) SIN-HKG-JFK (CX F) 182.5K AS miles.
Nice! I'm envious. Well, except for the AA Y segment ...
Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Nice! I'm envious. Well, except for the AA Y segment ...
It beats AA F for 32.5K. Ill save the 20K miles from AA and stick with Main Cabin Extra. I wanted to have AS metal to LAX but wont seem to work even though i can get AS metal to SEA for the EK flight there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.