Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by batmandds
I've been looking every day for the last 3 weeks and am having the same problem. The CSR seem to have no idea on why this is happening either. There have been some blog postings about it as well but no one has a firm grasp on the situation. Hopefully it gets resolved soon!
I wouldn't hold your breath. AS has know about the problem since it started and they will say its working as intended.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:27 pm

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
Bummer. I wonder if they are moving to a system where they only release space a couple of weeks out to partners. If so, it would be a letdown for those trying to get first class award tickets on EK. The Emirates Skywards award chart is brutal.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Is it an acceptable award routing to fly EK from BKK-HKG (stop in Hong Kong for a few days) and then continue back to the USA via DXB?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ffman999
Is it an acceptable award routing to fly EK from BKK-HKG (stop in Hong Kong for a few days) and then continue back to the USA via DXB?
You should be able to stop for up to 24 hours (23:59 to be precise)... i.e. a connection... if you can find flights that work. The only allowable stopovers are going to be at DXB.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
You should be able to stop for up to 24 hours (23:59 to be precise)... i.e. a connection... if you can find flights that work. The only allowable stopovers are going to be at DXB.
I've priced out (though didn't book) multiple day stopovers in CMB en route to/from SIN but (1) that was a few months ago and (2) it would only allow business even if F available. Ended up skipping Sri Lanka and booking a DXB stopover on way home from SIN.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: AS 75K
My general understanding that AS does not allow much backtracking on awards. For example, people have mostly been told they can't fly SEA-NYC-HKG on CX according to the CX thread.

As far as the stopover question, the rule of thumb seems to be that you can only have stopovers in a partner's hub. I was told on a CX award that I couldn't have a stopover in BKK en route to CMB since it was a different region than my destination but I don't know if that was an explanation the CSR found which met the inability to book or if it's the policy.
(A test would be booking something like TYO-TPE-HKG-US on CX with a stopover in TPE but I haven't tried)
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:10 pm

I've read this thread, but it's still unclear to me. Is there any point in checking EK availability on EF? Or are award flights only bookable if you can get them on as.com?

EDIT: I just spoke to a rep at AS who confirmed that the only inventory they can book is what shows up on AS.com - that and nothing more. She also confirmed that they book into D and Z classes on EK for business and first, respectively.

Last edited by onfo; Dec 19, 2014 at 3:59 pm Reason: Update
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:10 pm

I've found EF very helpful. I've booked three different EK awards on Alaska. The first time I booked, EF showed 1 Z seat, but none on AlaskaAir.com. Yet the agent was able to manually get it for me. The second time, EF showed Z=2 but AlaskaAir.com showed 0, and the agent could see both of the seats open. The third time, EF showed Z=2 and again, the agent could see that it was available even though it wasn't showing up online.

Last edited by ffman999; Dec 20, 2014 at 12:26 am
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:43 am

I've found EF very helpful. I've booked three different EK awards on Alaska. The first time I booked, EF showed 1 Z seat, but none on AlaskaAir.com. Yet the agent was able to manually get it for me. The second time, EF showed Z=2 but AlaskaAir.com showed 0, and the agent could see both of the seats open. The third time, EF showed Z=2 and again, the agent could see that it was available even though it wasn't showing up online.
Thanks for the data point. Approximately when was the most recent of these episodes?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:13 am

I agree that would helpful to know. I struck out trying to get a rep to manually book me on EK even though the flight showed Z2. It's frustrating to see the AS website showing absolutely nothing ex-NA in F starting in April. It could devalue these Alaska miles a bit.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by batmandds
I agree that would helpful to know. I struck out trying to get a rep to manually book me on EK even though the flight showed Z2. It's frustrating to see the AS website showing absolutely nothing ex-NA in F starting in April. It could devalue these Alaska miles a bit.
How many agents did you try? If EF shows Z2, those seats are available to AS.
You just need to find an agent willing and knowledgable enough to make it happen. HUACA and again until you find the right agent.
It's total BS but nothing is going to change for now.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:31 am

I tried about 5 agents last week. But I'll take your advice and keep trying to find a more knowledgable agent. Hopefully someone comes through because I just sent over a boatload of SPG points!
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:31 am

You just need to find an agent willing and knowledgable enough to make it happen. HUACA and again until you find the right agent.
I assume this is the same if we want D (business) tickets? Any special words such as "short sell" or "manually" enter?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:39 am

I tried with about 20 agents and they all said that there was no F available (Z=2 on EF) and that they could see what was on Alaska site. I asked for a manual sell or if the booking could be done on a different system but had no luck. When was the last time that you managed to do this?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:22 pm

The most recent time I booked EK F was this past Thursday (so two days ago). EF said Z=2 and the agent was able to see it right away. But there have been times where I've had to hang up and call back multiple times. Not sure if it matters at all, but all of the calls I made that were successful took place at night. By the way, thanks for everyone's great advice on this thread!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.