Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by maxmin
I tend to think that such specific information is best not posted on public sites. For those people that do meticulous research to find out the optimum booking scenarios, it feels like our efforts are a little undermined. I know that may sound a little selfish to many people.
Only a select few do "meticulous" research deserve to book awards and the rest of us should fly in coach preferably.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by maxmin
I tend to think that such specific information is best not posted on public sites. For those people that do meticulous research to find out the optimum booking scenarios, it feels like our efforts are a little undermined. I know that may sound a little selfish to many people.
How often are you going on trips that your level of research is "meticulous?" I'd bet it's probably not every day.

Not every time can one have the luxury of being meticulous, and for those times when you need to plan and book a last minute trip, posts like the one by pnwjourneys are sure to prove invaluable to you.

So, instead of fostering selfishness (like your post seemingly acknowledges), pnwjourneys is paying it forward, so that the next time you need to book a close-in trip with EK ex-SEA, you'll know exactly how.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP
@maxmin, as one who's done meticulous research and spent lots of time looking for Z space for my upcoming trip, I obviously disagree--why not save someone else the time? As @thexfactor said, I've benefitted from the great advice and information on this thread and see no reason not to share what I learned. And of course it's subject to change at any time--EK may or may not continue this pattern. I thought that was the point of boards like this, to share tips and information? In any event, hope you get the seats you're stalking ;-).
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:17 pm

Emirates Award Ticket

Hello Everyone,.

I have a question I have an award reservation with Emirates. 1 of 2 segments I already flew. I am trying to change the 2 segment, but Alaska partners desk told me that it is not allowed to change it because I already flew the 1st segment. It is correct?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lrhl28
Hello Everyone, I have a question I have an award reservation with Emirates. 1 of 2 segments I already flew. I am trying to change the 2 segment, but Alaska partners desk told me that it is not allowed to change it because I already flew the 1st segment. It is correct?
Hmm. There are lots of AS-EK rules, some real others not so real.
This sounds like a HUACA moment. I would definitely call back and try another agent.
What is your routing? Is segment 2 your return segment or a continuing segment after a DXB stop-over.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:10 pm

Hello Everyone,.

I have a question I have an award reservation with Emirates. 1 of 2 segments I already flew. I am trying to change the 2 segment, but Alaska partners desk told me that it is not allowed to change it because I already flew the 1st segment. It is correct?
Hang up and call again. I flew SEA-DXB(stopover)-CDG and extended the stopover after flying to DXB. Not sure about the "rules" but I found an agent that was able to do it for me - the first time I tried.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Hello Everyone,.

That is true from what I was told by multiple agents and customer service people. Once you start flying a partner award no changes whatsoever are allowed. Lost out on a trip and miles as I needed to adjust the date while I was on a stopover, and was told tough luck I spent quite a bit of time talking/emailing various departments with the same result. Not only did I lose out on the value of the unused flights, I overpaid for the flights I did take as they would have been a lower amount if I had only booked them. No refunds either.

I'd assume this only applies in each direction, as in, if you fly the outbound you can adjust the return as much as you want until you start the return.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:30 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Hang up and call again. I flew SEA-DXB(stopover)-CDG and extended the stopover after flying to DXB. Not sure about the "rules" but I found an agent that was able to do it for me - the first time I tried.
I believe this is the rule but in Oct 2013, I flew JFK-DXB and change my DXB- SEZ connection by a few days when I saw space open. It may be possible but not permitted?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
I've been watching this thread for some time now hoping to be able to book EK First on the A380. This past weekend I was able to find availability +/- 1 day of my preferred travel dates. Excited to finally fly Emirates and visit the Middle East! ^

Also rather surprised AS let me route via the West Coast.

Outbound
DCA-SEA AS First 737
SEA-SFO AS First 737
(23 Hour Layover)
SFO-DXB EK First A380
(Stop)
DXB-AMM EK First 777

Return
CAI-DXB EK Business 777 (2 Class)
DXB-DFW EK First A380
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Well, all I can say is bling, bling, bling! Just did ORD/DXB/AMS with the DXB/AMS on the 380 and all in F. Good grief! I think the shower is larger than mine in my master bath! Okay, the seats are a lot of very shiny stuff and a good portion of it is basically for show such as the mini-bar - it's just juices and water. The large IFE screen is really nice and the choices on the system are many. The service is excellent - almost too much at times, to be honest, but very professional without being cold at all. I liked having my bags in my suite and they fit easily. If you travel with a larger carry-on, you could be crowded as there is no overhead. The starry ceiling is really nice and, as far as I could remember, pretty accurate as to constellations! Food - excellent. Liquors and wines - excellent. The 14 hours to DXB passed quickly and the nearly 8 to AMS did as well. I stayed overnight at Le Meridien in one of the "club" rooms which includes a private limo to and from the airport. Again, the service was almost too much! Great rooms, great service, etc. DXB's F lounge and direct gate from the lounge is really super! I had breakfast in the lounge and it was very nice and the service was very good as well. Did get the question about the kind of ticket I was on from the lounge gatekeeper - she asked if it was an award and I said yes and that was the end of it. They seem to be familiar with we AS award travelers now. ORD lounge fine and the limo to the airport was fine. Overall - long way around to get to Switzerland but worth it at least once and I'll very likely do it again when I have a few extra days to stay in Dubai - would like cooler weather as it was over 100 at midnight on the patio outside my room......for an Alaskan that's hot!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: QR Platinum (Oneworld Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (Skyteam Gold), Shangri-La GC (Jade)
Just booked YVR-SEA-SFO-DXB-IKA in F in January and I am psyched!!

Question: Is it possible to change the last segment to have a long stopover in DXB? Is there any extra charge for that?

Also, can the chauffeur service be booked UP to 48 hours or just 48 hours before the flight? I can't find a link to booking the service on EK's "manage my booking" page.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by wandering_persian

Question: Is it possible to change the last segment to have a long stopover in DXB? Is there any extra charge for that?

Also, can the chauffeur service be booked UP to 48 hours or just 48 hours before the flight? I can't find a link to booking the service on EK's "manage my booking" page.
Assuming there is availability (including the issue of married-logic), there would be no extra charge to stopover in DXB.

Can be booked up to 48 hours.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
remember married segments rule so in order to change the last segment you will need to make sure there is still space on the segments that are not changing.

BTW there is no chauffer service for YVR or IKA. Its only available in 70 cities. See list
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by wandering_persian

You can book your chauffeur service anytime up to 48 hours. No change fee with Alaska up to 90 days before departure.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by yerffej201
You can book your chauffeur service anytime up to 48 hours. No change fee with Alaska up to 60 days before departure.
I fixed your typo in bold

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.