Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
Thanks Alphaeagle. the thought has crossed my mind to buy a flight to an airport that will have the first leg in F, like you said. My itinerary is already so spread out that I'm not sure I'll have the stomach for more...

11/20 PDX-JFK-MXP (train to vienna then prague)
11/27 PRG-BKK (2 weeks, have no idea what I'm doing or where I'm traveling in SE Asia)
12/10 BKK-HND (not booked yet, that is my working plan)
12/18 KIX (ICN?)-DXB
12/20 DXB-NA gateway-PDX

I need to research married segments. I actually have a CX F award booked on 12/22 from KIX-HKG (stopover), then HKG-LAX-PDX on 12/24, but I'm trying to shorten my trip - and it sounds like EK F might be a more over-the-top experience, which I'd like to try.

EDIT - very helpful SFO, thanks for the response. I will call. Your trip reports have been an inspiration to me by the way, thank you.

Last edited by thegingninj; Nov 15, 2014 at 2:29 pm Reason: didn't see SFO's response.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Originally Posted by beofotch
What is the transfer time from spg to as?
Less than 72hrs for me. Requested on 16, posted on 19.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
so the usual rule of thumb for booking EK using AS miles is:
a) Find space on EF
b) Call AS with exact dates

quick questions, regarding intra-US flights. Is it possible to backtrack, aka EWR-SEA-SFO (AS) // SFO/LAX-DXB (EK) etc?

want to maximize my EK ride and wouldn't mind a flight or two on AS before or after...
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:43 am

Just had a very helpful agent book a mixed-cabin one way that was not available online.

The IKA>DXB segment I wanted was only in J and I wanted to pair that with DXB>IAH in F.

Great use of 90k miles and $75.90.

Just need that visa!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by rivlinm
Just had a very helpful agent book a mixed-cabin one way that was not available online.

The IKA>DXB segment I wanted was only in J and I wanted to pair that with DXB>IAH in F.

Great use of 90k miles and $75.90.

Just need that visa!
I'm curious if this was a first time booking or if you were changing your itinerary. I already have MLE-CMB-DXB-SFO booked (all in first class), but would like to shorten it to MLE-DXB-SFO even if that means MLE-DXB is in less than first. I see availability in economy for my dates (3/20), but I think I might run into problems with the married segments rule since I don't see these options on the Alaska site.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ednpub
I'm curious if this was a first time booking or if you were changing your itinerary. I already have MLE-CMB-DXB-SFO booked (all in first class), but would like to shorten it to MLE-DXB-SFO even if that means MLE-DXB is in less than first. I see availability in economy for my dates (3/20), but I think I might run into problems with the married segments rule since I don't see these options on the Alaska site.
Based on recent experience, there is no longer a married segment issue when booking/changing EK flights. It may take a few HUACAs but that's another issue.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jfkeze
quick questions, regarding intra-US flights. Is it possible to backtrack, aka EWR-SEA-SFO (AS) // SFO/LAX-DXB (EK) etc?
Backtracking is generally disallowed by agents - eg for CX many people have been prevented from going SEA-NYC-HKG. For EK specifically, I tried to add a stopover in SEA and then SEA-LAS to a trip that was otherwise terminating in DXB-DFW-SEA and was told no due to backtracking.
So, I'd guess you'd have trouble.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jfkeze
so the usual rule of thumb for booking EK using AS miles is:
a) Find space on EF
b) Call AS with exact dates
want to maximize my EK ride and wouldn't mind a flight or two on AS before or after...
Yes on the a and b rules of thumb.
I have seen some pretty strange backtracking on AS.com so my guess is that it may provide that option if space is available and it's the only option.
Having said that, not sure why you'd want to spend an extra 5-6 hours in an AS seat just for a couple more hours of EK First.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by ednpub
Original booking. A few months ago the site displayed the mixed J/F option. At first she said sorry, and I asked why can't she just manually select the desired flights/cabins and after 5 minutes on hold, all was solved.

Agree, HUCA.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K
Checking EF for SFO-DXB, it looks like nothing shows available past 07/31/15. Is it too far off and/or EK hasn't loaded award availability yet Aug 2015 onwards? When do they typically load these?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:10 pm

Is the display problem with EK award space mostly for F seats?

For instance, I see lots of J availability in May for EK, but no F. But EF shows lots of F seats into DFW and JFK for the dates I want - I should be able to call in and book those?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: US GP, *G, HHonors Gold, SPG
I'm having issue finding award space in either J or F from India to DXB. Checked AHM and DEL, and absolutely nothing for weeks on end. No issue finding seats to JFK or IAD out of DXB, but nothing out of India. Is this fairly normal? Any way around this on the phone?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by pnwjourneys
I have an Expert Flyer pro subscription and there is indeed still a disconnect between Z availability on EF and what shows up on AS. If availability shows as Z1 on EF, that one F seat doesn't appear on AS. F only shows up when availability is Z2 or more. Whether that's by design (as in EK only makes a subset of its Z seats available to AS) or a bug, there is definitely still a disconnect.
To be clear, however, one can call AS and book anything showing available on EF, even if it doesn't show on AS.com? I want to know how much stock to put in EF. If this is correct, this point may be worth adding to the wiki.

Thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
EF is showing EX Avail (Z1) SFO/LAX-DXB-TYO.

I have yet to call, but can not even come close to getting it on-line. Would that even be a legal routing?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Madone59
EF is showing EX Avail (Z1) SFO/LAX-DXB-TYO.

I have yet to call, but can not even come close to getting it on-line. Would that even be a legal routing?
I searched January from LAX to TYO and see that on eg Jan 23 there is an EK option. Are your dates the issue possibly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.