Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by DC777Fan

ETA: Got impatient and called AS...
Impatient? Seriously, since you booked through AS, AS should have been the first place to call ')
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: HH G, MR/SPG G, IHG Plat, Club Carlson G, National Exec
Originally Posted by thexfactor
It is dark, but it's not something I mind. I also like the hour spa treatment instead of only 15 mins, and I like the "private" living room space. I truly felt like I was not in an airport, more so than perhaps any other lounge. Never having to walk anywhere is a plus, too
You do know the reason you have to walk in DXB as an F pax is because EK actually built a freaking palace for you, right?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by todd-r
Impatient? Seriously, since you booked through AS, AS should have been the first place to call ')
<sigh> There's nothing wrong with asking for informal advice first.

This isn't the Delta forum, or the United forum for goodness' sake. We're Northwest Nice here (or try to be). eh?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Let us know if you have any luck. I have an upcoming trip where my fiance is in F and I am in J. Hoping I can get on some sort of waiting list as well.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ffman999
Let us know if you have any luck. I have an upcoming trip where my fiance is in F and I am in J. Hoping I can get on some sort of waiting list as well.
FYI there is no WL for EK or other carriers...just need to call back periodically.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:44 am

How do I book a longer stopover on Alaska award partner flights?

I've recently been trying to accumulate some Alaska miles for a flight either on Emirates in business or first class, to take advantage of the stopover in Dubai while using a one way reward flight to, say, Bangkok. However, when I look for such flights on Alaska's website, the stopovers are all brief, ranging from several hours to max 2 days. My understanding is that we can arrange this itinerary to have as long a stopover as we want (ex, 5 days in Dubai). Do I have to call for this? Or do I simply book 2 separate legs on Alaska's website and the website will figure it out?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: Cathay Pacific-Asia Miles, Starwood
Call to arrange; I'm staying extra 2 days in Dubai in February before going on to BKK
Old Aug 30, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Use the multi city function to search (it is next to one way):

Flight 1:

XXX-DXB pick a date

Flight 2:

DXB-BKK pick a date

and then search. It will price out as a one way flight with the stopover. I booked a flight JFK-DXB with 5 day stopover and then on to BKK.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77
Use the multi city function to search (it is next to one way):
and then search. It will price out as a one way flight with the stopover. I booked a flight JFK-DXB with 5 day stopover and then on to BKK.
Ah, perfect. I completely missed the multi-city option!

One more thing-- Some flights are particularly high demand, such as Emirates First from LAX-DXB. Of course, I'd want to secure this flight for my date ASAP, but if I'm looking at DXB as a stopover and want to go to BKK 4 days later, how do I secure the LAX-DXB leg first, rather than waiting 4 days for the DXB-BKK leg to open up first? My concern is that for certain flights, the seats for the first leg will be snatched up by the time the second leg of the itinerary becomes available.

Last edited by DaveInLA; Aug 30, 2014 at 8:46 pm
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: HH G, MR/SPG G, IHG Plat, Club Carlson G, National Exec
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Ah, perfect. I completely missed the multi-city option!

One more thing-- Some flights are particularly high demand, such as Emirates First from LAX-DXB. Of course, I'd want to secure this flight for my date ASAP, but if I'm looking at DXB as a stopover and want to go to BKK 4 days later, how do I secure the LAX-DXB leg first, rather than waiting 4 days for the DXB-BKK leg to open up first? My concern is that for certain flights, the seats for the first leg will be snatched up by the time the second leg of the itinerary becomes available.
The short answer is no. There is not much of a pattern when it comes to how EK releases award seats, AFAIK. This thread details some of the nooks and crannies when it comes to finding and booking EK award availability: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ng-thread.html
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
with married segments on EK. You have to give up space you already have confirmed for in order to add additional EK segments. So if there is no more remaining space and the vacated space doesn't go back into available inventory you will have to start from scratch.

This problem does not occur with other partners just EK
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
with married segments on EK. You have to give up space you already have confirmed for in order to add additional EK segments. So if there is no more remaining space and the vacated space doesn't go back into available inventory you will have to start from scratch.

This problem does not occur with other partners just EK
Do vacated award seats for EK typically NOT go back into inventory?

So there is absolutely there a way to book the first segment first, then add the second segment later on while keeping it a one way award redemption?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
This part i do not know as i haven't made any changes on EK.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:51 am

So there is absolutely there a way to book the first segment first, then add the second segment later on while keeping it a one way award redemption?

I had a confirmed seat in F LAX-DXB last month and canceled 3 days prior to departure. On the day of departure, EK F was available to DXB from ORD, DFW, and IAH using AS (EF was showing 3 seats on some of the legs). The inventory was bookable to these cities 5-7 days prior to departure. When I canceled my LAX departure; the award never was re-released. Hopefully, this is one data point. Not sure if this is a LAX thing or a system wide thing. Also not sure if it was due to being close to departure.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Few things:

1. Recall reading upthread about difficulty procuring F on return from DXB. On my upcoming November trip, that was my initial experience. Was F BCN-DXB, but J DXB-LAX. To my happy amazement, I was poking around a few days ago and found an F seat DXB-SFO. Just one instance, I understand, but we're talking around 75 days out. So, keep looking and you might be rewarded. BTW, this was not a long-sell either. This was right on the AS website.

2. The same AS agents who are able/willing to find the seats I find on KVS also seem to have the least difficulty with married segments. Can only speak to my experience, but I've adjusted my outbound 2 or 3 times and have had no problem getting those segments to work. FWIW, originally it was LAX-DXB-AMS, then LAX-DXB-BCN, then BOS-DXB-BCN and finally, DFW-DXB-BCN (leaving on my ideal date and all segments on A380).

3. One question: did I read here (or somewhere) that with an overnight connection in DXB, EK will take care of the hotel? I have this on my return, BCN-DXB||-SFO. Thx.

--mcz

Last edited by mczlaw; Sep 3, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.