Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by CDKing
Surely when they negotiated the rates, they figured people were planning on booking? Why not add YQ to the agreement at the beginning?
EK may not have realized how many would be booked. Or AS might have refused YQ.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 7:53 pm

I love that AS has been really good thus far in refusing YQ on partner awards (excluding BA, of course). Yes, the booking issues are annoying. But as long as AS will long sell them, I'd rather have sketchy search and no YQ, than easy search but hundreds in fees on the awards.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: General Awesome Guy
I've booked 3 AS EK F awards (LAX=>SEZ; CPT=>LAX; LAX=>MLE) this year with dates +/- 3 days desired travel time. Looking again for round four, I feel greedy! I can't find anything, and I think this game is done.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP
It looks like I may just have gotten an F seat on the DAR-DXB leg of my trip home from Africa in November when EF was just showing Z1. I'm currently booked on a mixed award ticket in Y from DAR-DXB and in J from DXB-SEA. I've been checking periodically for availability to upgrade to at least J on the DAR-DXB leg. Tonight my search on as.com came back with J availability on both legs. I called and they couldn't see it. Got a supervisor involved--couldn't see it. And interestingly EF wasn't showing J on the DAR-DXB leg, but it was showing Z1, and as.com showed a mixed cabin award available--F on DAR-DXB, J on DXB-SEA. But she couldn't see or book that either. She suggested I try to book it online and then cancel my existing ticket (I have enough miles to do that). So I did and it went through, and I have an EK record locator in addition to the Alaska one. The Emirates site shows my reservation but not yet an e-ticket number (I know it can take at least a few hours), so I'm going to wait for that to show up before I cancel my existing award ticket.

I do understand that F on the DAR-DXB route isn't all that exciting (no suites, etc) but it's better than coach, and therefore worth the additional 22.5K miles to me (and who knows, maybe F will open up on the DXB-SEA leg sometime before my flight--I won't be holding my breath however!).

Hope these are helpful data points on both the phantom availability problem and as.com sometimes being able to "see" F availability even when there's just Z1.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:41 am

Programs: HH G, MR/SPG G, IHG Plat, Club Carlson G, National Exec
Originally Posted by pnwjourneys
It looks like I may just have gotten an F seat on the DAR-DXB leg of my trip home from Africa in November when EF was just showing Z1. I'm currently booked on a mixed award ticket in Y from DAR-DXB and in J from DXB-SEA. I've been checking periodically for availability to upgrade to at least J on the DAR-DXB leg. Tonight my search on as.com came back with J availability on both legs. I called and they couldn't see it. Got a supervisor involved--couldn't see it. And interestingly EF wasn't showing J on the DAR-DXB leg, but it was showing Z1, and as.com showed a mixed cabin award available--F on DAR-DXB, J on DXB-SEA. But she couldn't see or book that either. She suggested I try to book it online and then cancel my existing ticket (I have enough miles to do that). So I did and it went through, and I have an EK record locator in addition to the Alaska one. The Emirates site shows my reservation but not yet an e-ticket number (I know it can take at least a few hours), so I'm going to wait for that to show up before I cancel my existing award ticket.

I do understand that F on the DAR-DXB route isn't all that exciting (no suites, etc) but it's better than coach, and therefore worth the additional 22.5K miles to me (and who knows, maybe F will open up on the DXB-SEA leg sometime before my flight--I won't be holding my breath however!).

Hope these are helpful data points on both the phantom availability problem and as.com sometimes being able to "see" F availability even when there's just Z1.
You might also want to have at look SFO-DXB (A380 suites, showers, and bar from Dec on). There are tons of availability next spring, and you can add a SEA-SFO on AS. I haven't checked other months, but if you can find something, that would be tremendous value for the extra 22.5K.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by moler
You might also want to have at look SFO-DXB (A380 suites, showers, and bar from Dec on). There are tons of availability next spring, and you can add a SEA-SFO on AS. I haven't checked other months, but if you can find something, that would be tremendous value for the extra 22.5K.
I checked March (ON AS site) which was all J no F. April seemed to be all economy. At least i got to do one LAX-DXB-SIN in A380 F earlier this year
Old Aug 19, 2014, 4:24 pm

I checked March (ON AS site) which was all J no F. April seemed to be all economy. At least i got to do one LAX-DXB-SIN in A380 F earlier this year
Awesome! On EK site, I see tons of availability between SFO and DXB in both directions. I snagged my own all A380 F on SFO-DXB-PVG next March with a 55-hr stop over in DXB .
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Awesome! On EK site, I see tons of availability between SFO and DXB in both directions. I snagged my own all A380 F on SFO-DXB-PVG next March with a 55-hr stop over in DXB .
Did you book using AS miles? If so were you luck with manual sell with the AS call center?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Trying to find award availability SEA-KIX on EK in the entire month of November on AS's website. All EK and KE awards are coming up in J. And the best part is when you click the segments in J, sometimes as we all have (annoyingly) experienced the long-haul is many times in Y.

Have we figured out what the best option is? Or if phoning the AS award call center if we know an F seat is available through experflyer on either EK or KE?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Trying to find award availability SEA-KIX on EK in the entire month of November on AS's website. All EK and KE awards are coming up in J. And the best part is when you click the segments in J, sometimes as we all have (annoyingly) experienced the long-haul is many times in Y.

Have we figured out what the best option is? Or if phoning the AS award call center if we know an F seat is available through experflyer on either EK or KE?
I just booked JFK-DXB-BKK in F on 10/31 and returning 11/12
Seemed to be a decent amount of availability in F from JFK and DFW.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Edgerfly

can't book ke f with alaska miles.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:40 pm

Did you book using AS miles? If so were you luck with manual sell with the AS call center?
I touched on this a few weeks ago: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23123619-post847.html, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23125957-post863.html, and SFO777 also chimed in: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23125965-post864.html

It looks like if you call later in the evening, there is a better chance you'll get a capable Boise-based agent who would manual sell (albeit based on a tiny sample size). I've also read several accounts in this forum of the Boise call center being competent and helpful. On another occasion, I got a SEA-based agent to manual sell ~7:30 PT, having struck out earlier in the afternoon with a couple of other SEA-based agent.

At the end of the day, I guess it's a bit of a trial and error either way: a) if AS.com availability is real or phantom. b) if the AS agent would manual sell EK.com/EF availability. You won't be able to get a DXB stop-over on AS.com, though.

Good luck!

Last edited by moler; Aug 19, 2014 at 10:54 pm
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

. You won't be able to get a DXB stop-over on AS.com, though.
My 1 EK Award was booked on the website w/ stop-over in DXB. well it was one of the rare times AS site was correct
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
You won't be able to get a DXB stop-over on AS.com, though.
You should be able to with multicity search.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: AS MVP
Moler, the mixed cabin F/J award I just booked on AS.com that I posted about on Monday includes a 2 night DXB stopover. I used the multi-city function to pull up flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.