Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: HH G, MR/SPG G, IHG Plat, Club Carlson G, National Exec
Good to know. Thanks, guys.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K
Lucked out on a morning call to Mileage Plan, didn't ask where the agent was based.

I first checked out and confirmed F award seat availability for spring next year using Emirates.com (nothing had been showing up at all on AS.com). Called the MVP Gold number and asked for a one-way SFO-DXB-SIN award request and after 30 seconds, agent said "no availability." I told her to "try a manual sell" but she said "I don't know what that means, but let me put you on hold for a bit and I'll try something." 10 minutes later, she came back and said she had me confirmed for F, A380 on SFO-DXB, ~2hr layover in DXB, and 777 on DXB-SIN. ^^^

I'm very excited as this will be my first ride on EK in any class

Now I'm debating if 2 hours is enough to check out the First Class lounge in Dubai, and if it's worth changing to a 7 hour layover for another A380 flight vs. 777 to SIN. Would appreciate opinions from others.

Last edited by wp_kid; Aug 22, 2014 at 11:45 pm
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

If there's space a second shower could be nice- how does this change your time of day enroute to SIN?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:58 am

The 777 leaves around 9pm, the A380 3am.

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

If there's space a second shower could be nice- how does this change your time of day enroute to SIN?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Originally Posted by wp_kid
The 777 leaves around 9pm, the A380 3am.

Originally Posted by beckoa

So either way its basically a redeye? I'd probably do the later flight if there was space.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:10 pm

Just did JFK-DXB-SIN in A380 F x2.

Loved the A380, but found the EK F lounge underwhelming (it ain't the LH's FCT or TG's BKK F lounge by any means). Definitely not worth sticking around just for that, but if you wanted to do a bit of touring in DXB and catch another shower on that 3am flight (which I just took), then do it.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thexfactor
Just did JFK-DXB-SIN in A380 F x2.
Loved the A380, but found the EK F lounge underwhelming (it ain't the LH's FCT or TG's BKK F lounge by any means). Definitely not worth sticking around just for that, but if you wanted to do a bit of touring in DXB and catch another shower on that 3am flight (which I just took), then do it.
Sounds like you were in the old F lounge, the one near B15?
Next time try the new FCL in the A concourse. Just a tad different.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Did you see Z1 on Expert Flyer and then call Alaska? Or was it Z0 and you called and got a seat anyway? Thanks!

Originally Posted by wp_kid
Lucked out on a morning call to Mileage Plan, didn't ask where the agent was based.

I first checked out and confirmed F award seat availability for spring next year using Emirates.com (nothing had been showing up at all on AS.com). Called the MVP Gold number and asked for a one-way SFO-DXB-SIN award request and after 30 seconds, agent said "no availability." I told her to "try a manual sell" but she said "I don't know what that means, but let me put you on hold for a bit and I'll try something." 10 minutes later, she came back and said she had me confirmed for F, A380 on SFO-DXB, ~2hr layover in DXB, and 777 on DXB-SIN. ^^^

I'm very excited as this will be my first ride on EK in any class

Now I'm debating if 2 hours is enough to check out the First Class lounge in Dubai, and if it's worth changing to a 7 hour layover for another A380 flight vs. 777 to SIN. Would appreciate opinions from others.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Sounds like you were in the old F lounge, the one near B15?
Next time try the new FCL in the A concourse. Just a tad different.

Nope. Was in the new one in the A concourse. Got my obligatory spa treatment, got dinner, visited the cigar lounge (where they charged me for my cuban (!)), but still was underwhelming, IMO.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 7:34 pm

I currently don't have an active premium subscription to EF, so I didn't really know other than what EK.com showed me.

Originally Posted by ffman999
Did you see Z1 on Expert Flyer and then call Alaska? Or was it Z0 and you called and got a seat anyway? Thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: HH G, MR/SPG G, IHG Plat, Club Carlson G, National Exec
Another vote for the 7 hour layover, and then the A380. Since it's your first to the DXB F lounge, it's better to have enough time to soak it all in. You can also get the chauffeur service for a quick visit to the city. You may not be able to book it on EK.com since it's not a stopover, but if you call, they'll arrange it for you.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:21 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Nope. Was in the new one in the A concourse. Got my obligatory spa treatment, got dinner, visited the cigar lounge (where they charged me for my cuban (!)), but still was underwhelming, IMO.
You must be hard to please.

I find the EK F lounge to be one of the best lounges, anywhere.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by whimike
You must be hard to please.

I find the EK F lounge to be one of the best lounges, anywhere.
I have yet to be in the EK lounge (will be in there in November) but the reviews look pretty darn good.

Been in the BA CC and CX Wing first lounge and thought both were great.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
OK, now I get it. You were ticked off about having to pay for your Cuban.

If you are talking about getting to/from the lounge as a connecting passenger, TG and LH are generally better experiences compared to EK where you are pretty much on your own. And as an originating passenger, it is hard to beat the LH FCT.

But once in the lounge, IMO, it is not even close. The new EK FCL is far superior to the TG FCL at BKK. IMO, it is also better than any of LH's FCLs but that can be a personal thing. I do prefer the intimacy of the FCT. Combine that with private check-in and security and limo transfer to your plane, I would personally give the FRA FCT the nod as the best lounge/departure experience anywhere.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by SFO777
OK, now I get it. You were ticked off about having to pay for your Cuban.

If you are talking about getting to/from the lounge as a connecting passenger, TG and LH are generally better experiences compared to EK where you are pretty much on your own. And as an originating passenger, it is hard to beat the LH FCT.

But once in the lounge, IMO, it is not even close. The new EK FCL is far superior to the TG FCL at BKK. IMO, it is also better than any of LH's FCLs but that can be a personal thing. I do prefer the intimacy of the FCT. Combine that with private check-in and security and limo transfer to your plane, I would personally give the FRA FCT the nod as the best lounge/departure experience anywhere.
I give LH a huge edge for better whiskeys but was otherwise much more impressed with the EK lounge.
(Have only connected through though)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.