Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: many
Originally Posted by mczlaw
One question: did I read here (or somewhere) that with an overnight connection in DXB, EK will take care of the hotel? I have this on my return, BCN-DXB||-SFO. Thx.

--mcz
Not on awards
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Plasticus
I had a confirmed seat in F LAX-DXB last month and canceled 3 days prior to departure. On the day of departure, EK F was available to DXB from ORD, DFW, and IAH using AS (EF was showing 3 seats on some of the legs). The inventory was bookable to these cities 5-7 days prior to departure. When I canceled my LAX departure; the award never was re-released. Hopefully, this is one data point. Not sure if this is a LAX thing or a system wide thing. Also not sure if it was due to being close to departure.
Thanks for the data point.

Did you check for LAX-DXB availability only immediately after you cancelled, or each day until departure? Thanks again.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Have been stalking EK F availability on the AS website - like clockwork, it's been released 5 days prior to departure, and everyday there has been at least 1 N American gateway with two F seats (DFW, ORD, and SEA have been most consistent). I've noticed that those seats are typically released between 10pm and 1am PST each day.

Could work really well for those that have flexibility to make last-minute changes.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by sfoactuary
Have been stalking EK F availability on the AS website - like clockwork, it's been released 5 days prior to departure, and everyday there has been at least 1 N American gateway with two F seats (DFW, ORD, and SEA have been most consistent). I've noticed that those seats are typically released between 10pm and 1am PST each day.

Could work really well for those that have flexibility to make last-minute changes.
It's scary booking a big trip only 5 days prior to departure!

Also, when EK opens up F availability (whether 5 days or 11 months before departure), how many seats do they release typically? Is it at least 2?

Last edited by DaveInLA; Sep 3, 2014 at 11:14 pm
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Thanks for the data point.

Did you check for LAX-DXB availability only immediately after you cancelled, or each day until departure? Thanks again.
I checked immediately and after the itinerary was cancelled. I also checked a few times that evening, and the next day.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:47 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
It's scary booking a big trip only 5 days prior to departure!

Also, when EK opens up F availability (whether 5 days or 11 months before departure), how many seats do they release typically? Is it at least 2?
Keep Lifemiles *alliance redemption as a back up. They let you cancel for $50 even after the flight has left!!!
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
Keep Lifemiles *alliance redemption as a back up. They let you cancel for $50 even after the flight has left!!!
Um, that's a little bit of a simplification.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avian...es-ticket.html

Be prepared to spend between 20 minutes and 3 hours on the phone to get your changes / cancellation done, depending on the agent you get
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium / HH Diamond / Hyatt Explorist
Trying to book EK; CPT>DXB-stopover>SFO
Finding several available dates that work for me Dec 9-10 & 15-16
CPT>DXB-biz & DXB>SFO-1st

Computer takes me all the way to purchase & get error code.
Called CS & they get same thing.

Are those seats really not there or is there a work around/solution to get these?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:53 pm

Hey guys, currently looking at EK F to get to BCN from JFK. I tried looking month by month and as far as I can tell AS isn't showing any EK F (JFK-DXB-BCN).

Any ideas on the issue?

Just wanted to note that no EK routes whether it be coach, business or first show up via AS for JFK-DXB-BCN or LAX-DXB-BCN...I have tried one-way JFK-BCN & LAX-BCN as well as multi city including DXB, if routed via DXB I get BA and AA

Last edited by coronado22; Sep 8, 2014 at 1:45 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by TravelKane

Are those seats really not there or is there a work around/solution to get these?
To the person who is going to tell to read furthered up the thread, I'm going beat you to the punch.
I found out about the "manual sell".

I called AK again, the agent did not know of a manual sell, she put me on hold to ask someone, came back and said that even if they processed it manually it still will not go through, the problem is a computer/software problem.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
To the person who is going to tell to read furthered up the thread, I'm going beat you to the punch.
I found out about the "manual sell".

I called AK again, the agent did not know of a manual sell, she put me on hold to ask someone, came back and said that even if they processed it manually it still will not go through, the problem is a computer/software problem.
I'm pretty sure every single issue is part of the same computer problem even though the won't admit. If there is an error causing it to show, there has to be an error with it not showing.

Dont worry i wasn't going to tell you to have them manual sell becasue i know it would fail as well.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
I'm pretty sure every single issue is part of the same computer problem even though the won't admit. If there is an error causing it to show, there has to be an error with it not showing.

Dont worry i wasn't going to tell you to have them manual sell becasue i know it would fail as well.
So I take it that means if it does not work on the computer, I'm out of luck no matter what it shows as available?

And Thank You
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
So I take it that means if it does not work on the computer, I'm out of luck no matter what it shows as available?

And Thank You
Every one that's failed for me on the computer either errored out in EF or EF showed 0 space.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: HH G, MR/SPG G, IHG Plat, Club Carlson G, National Exec

And Thank You
If you can find availability on EF or EK.com, and then call AS for a manual sell, it should work. Some of the availability on AS.com is phantom.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:45 pm

GOT IT!
Went to QF and found some true availability out of JNB; went to AK punched it in & IT WORKED!
Will be staying in SoAfrica a bit longer than planned - oh well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.