Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
I am a relative newb to the AS forum - is there an official AS Lurker who might be able to look into this matter ?
There are, but it's been reported for like 1+ year and hasn't been fixed yet. I'd personally guess it's not a high priority due to a low volume of people being impacted and it being an annoyance but not impossible to overcome.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Plenty of EK F Award Space, per a Blogger

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....st/#more-27752

Gary Leff's blog says that there's lots of F availability on EK this winter using AS miles --- if you've been thinking about burning some for a flight on Emirates, now might be a good time to look.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:24 pm

Yup This was mentioned a couple of weeks ago here….
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dgreen12
Gary Leff's blog says that there's lots of F availability on EK this winter using AS miles --- if you've been thinking about burning some for a flight on Emirates, now might be a good time to look.
Duh. If you'd read the above posts, you'd already know that.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
I wonder where he got his intel from
Old Sep 24, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
And what was said here 10 or so days ago is "old news" by award availability standards, hence the link to the post.

But thanks for the Duh.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Actually ex-DXB F award availability is not as good as the reverse.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Sure as .... the seat I was looking at this morning and was ready to book tonight is gone now, taken by someone who was spoonfed .
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Sure as .... the seat I was looking at this morning and was ready to book tonight is gone now, taken by someone who was spoonfed .
Using the AS booking tool is being spoonfed?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
I think being "spoonfed" means "I was totally deserving of that award as a member of FT who knows the secret handshake, and that other guy who read a blog wasn't!"

(We can leave aside the argument about the sense of entitlement depending on where you read something on the Internet for a less kind and gentle forum than the AS one. I'd hate it if we turned into a snarkfest/speak in code forum.)
Old Sep 25, 2014, 3:01 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Its quite simple actually. I've never had a computer bugger out when EF shows z=2.

Any Z=2 flight is fair game via online. No phone required
Old Sep 25, 2014, 5:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by cheapguy69
Yes. I'm sitting in the EK lounge in DXB right now mid way through an Alaska award on EK in first. No tickets have had the corect lounge access. At LAX when I asked, the supervisor knew of the issue and was a quick fix once I asked. It was not volunteered by the CSR at ticketing until I prompted. In DXB it took 20 mins of back and forth of insisting (politely) before they said ok. Not looking forward to this for the rest of the trip. Will definitely be sending a note to AS that they need to fix this.
What did you show them to get lounge access? Seems a printout of the itinerary from As.com and EK.com should do the trick.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hardly, it is simply frustrating having put in a good amount of work at trying to find the seats, only to have a blog else decide to put out a blog post telling thousands of people to go look and Act Fast! and then see the seat disappear. The spoonfeeding is not about using the AS award search, it is about a blog acting as though award availability is suddenly amazing. As SFO777 notes, it has been that way for a while, particularly on DFW/IAH/SFO-DXB and return.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I think being "spoonfed" means "I was totally deserving of that award as a member of FT who knows the secret handshake, and that other guy who read a blog wasn't!"

(We can leave aside the argument about the sense of entitlement depending on where you read something on the Internet for a less kind and gentle forum than the AS one. I'd hate it if we turned into a snarkfest/speak in code forum.)
I actually spent a lot of time searching myself, working out available days, best routings, available destinations, stopovers, etc. This isn't trick it, I'm not part of some special insider handshake club chasing EK F awards. I'm like the rest of you, just trying to find ways to travel and get the best value for my miles.

Maybe they're right and I'm wrong, and I should stop contributing to FT and just read blogs. Clearly I'm doing something wrong doing it this way, and whoever got the seat I was looking at and then others are doing it right. Just watch as this continues the decline of FT to the point where every thread here will become Trick It. It is already happening.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:21 am

Hardly, it is simply frustrating having put in a good amount of work at trying to find the seats...
I'm contending that using the AS search is not a 'good amount of work'. Now if you have been looking at EK availability for several month (and I have) then there is a small amount of work repeated many times and so I can see where you're going, but it's not even as hard as CX or QF where you have to deal with a poor search tool.

Maybe they're right and I'm wrong, and I should stop contributing to FT and just read blogs. Clearly I'm doing something wrong doing it this way, and whoever got the seat I was looking at and then others are doing it right. Just watch as this continues the decline of FT to the point where every thread here will become Trick It. It is already happening.
This is a topic really beyond the AS forum.
I think you have to expect anything posted on FT will be read by thousands of people, though.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm contending that using the AS search is not a 'good amount of work'. Now if you have been looking at EK availability for several month (and I have) then there is a small amount of work repeated many times and so I can see where you're going, but it's not even as hard as CX or QF where you have to deal with a poor search tool.

This is a topic really beyond the AS forum.
I think you have to expect anything posted on FT will be read by thousands of people, though.
I actually use EF for most of my EK searches (with the allowances for knowing AS won't often see Z=1), as I prefer the interface. I also use it for QF, though I find the AA website to be quite good at QF as well if you know how to search it in a way that removes the less desired HA results (just booked an award on QF using AA miles today).

At any rate, I'll find another date to fly the route I want and it will work out one way or another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.