Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:07 am

...and here come all the newbies who just read the blogs again...
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flytoeat
+1
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by ukinny2000
It's because the flights to Milan route through Dubai, so you're going JFK-DXB-MXP, which is a long way of getting to Milan
Emirates has a fifth freedom JFK to Milan direct flight.

But it will be charged as if it had been routed through Dubai.

If someone wants to redeem that route, I would probably suggest JAL instead as they are distance based
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by crimsona

If someone wants to redeem that route, I would probably suggest JAL instead as they are distance based
Good to know, cheers
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by crimsona

Yep, just like every regionally based award chart, the number of miles needed is by origin and destination, not the distance (or routing). Obviously some programs are better than others depending on where you want to go and how you want to get there.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, UA Silver
Thanks for the replies, and yes, it was the direct JFK to Milan flight I was referencing. They are fixing to start flying the A380 on that route so thought it would be a good anniversary present for the wife.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by CDKing
Yep, just like every regionally based award chart, the number of miles needed is by origin and destination, not the distance (or routing). Obviously some programs are better than others depending on where you want to go and how you want to get there.
Is it not possible to do JFK-MXP(stopover)-DXB for 90k though or am I mistaken? Milan + Dubai > Just Milan
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:33 pm

Must be nice to be born with all the knowledge of EK award redemptions rather than being a poor newbie who must ask questions.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Must be nice to be born with all the knowledge of EK award redemptions rather than being a poor newbie who must ask questions.

I apologize for the snarkiness. Some of us are long-time, loyal Alaska flyers who have given AS a lot of money over the years. We've "earned" our precious miles the hard way, and perhaps it rubs us the wrong way when the blogs promote buying miles to redeem some of the best awards Mileage Plan has to offer. I'm also concerned that too much demand may cause inflation.

No offense meant, and in the end AS is willing to take the money.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:45 pm

I apologize for the snarkiness. Some of us are long-time, loyal Alaska flyers who have given AS a lot of money over the years. We've "earned" our precious miles the hard way, and perhaps it rubs us the wrong way when the blogs promote buying miles to redeem some of the best awards Mileage Plan has to offer. I'm also concerned that too much demand may cause inflation.

I get that (especially the part I bolded). If I were a long time, loyal AS customer I'd have antipathy towards someone like me who will probably never fly AS (though I credit my AA and KLM flights to AS) but will get a disproportionate benefit from the AS program. My "local" is Aeroplan and it used to be one of the most generous award charts around (low amount of miles, no surcharges). Program devaluation (more than once) was probably accelerated by Amex/SPG transfers by people who would never fly Air Canada. I guess that's how the system is set up so...I guess take solace that we aren't Avianca FFers?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
I get that (especially the part I bolded). If I were a long time, loyal AS customer I'd have antipathy towards someone like me who will probably never fly AS (though I credit my AA and KLM flights to AS) but will get a disproportionate benefit from the AS program. My "local" is Aeroplan and it used to be one of the most generous award charts around (low amount of miles, no surcharges). Program devaluation (more than once) was probably accelerated by Amex/SPG transfers by people who would never fly Air Canada. I guess that's how the system is set up so...I guess take solace that we aren't Avianca FFers?
"flytoeat" has expressed at least for me my sentiments on this. Those of us that are loyal AS FF as I am have a certain "ownership" rather than an 'entitlement" view of the world when it comes to benefits and miles. And I appreciate the opportunity that those AS miles afford my wife and I and SHE deserves them !!!! And we flew EK FC last year and we will as well early next year, Thank you AS

So you know when I fly I book either "auto upgrade FC" or full fare FC.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: A few

Yeah sorry bud being based in RDU I have no access to AS at all and have never flown them in my life but thanks to the joys of BofA headquartered just down I85 in CLT I consistently have a high six figures AS balance ready to unleash upon EK
Old Apr 4, 2015, 2:50 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by SFO777
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Let's see how long it lasts.
You're joking right? When has Alaska been anything but honest?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
... Some of us are long-time, loyal Alaska flyers who have given AS a lot of money over the years. We've "earned" our precious miles the hard way, and perhaps it rubs us the wrong way when the blogs promote buying miles to redeem some of the best awards Mileage Plan has to offer. I'm also concerned that too much demand may cause inflation.
Originally Posted by edgewood49
"flytoeat" has expressed at least for me my sentiments on this. Those of us that are loyal AS FF as I am have a certain "ownership" rather than an 'entitlement" view of the world when it comes to benefits and miles. And I appreciate the opportunity that those AS miles afford my wife and I and SHE deserves them !!!! And we flew EK FC last year and we will as well early next year, Thank you AS

So you know when I fly I book either "auto upgrade FC" or full fare FC.
^ ^ ^

Thank you, flytoeat and edgewood49.

As a resident of Alaska who has been a loyal customer with AS for decades, I heartily share your sentiments.

While other (often low-cost) airlines have come into the market and then disappeared over the years, Alaska has been the reliable constant in our travel world. They've earned my loyalty and trust, and in turn, I appreciate the mileage plan and other benefits that I receive as an elite flyer with Alaska.

IMO it stinks that people who have never flown even a single mile on Alaska metal can push their way into the mileage plan and potentially devalue it for those of us who fly 75K - and often more - miles with AS every year.

Sorry if I've offended anyone, but the opinions expressed are my own.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by keitherson
You're joking right? When has Alaska been anything but honest?
Its been broken for a long time now and they refused to admit it for at least 2 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.