Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
SSSS on my boarding pass turned out to be a non-starter, at least in terms of transfer security at DXB. They didn't even look at my boarding pass. We'll see if we get an extra groping at the gate when we actually board the next flight.

No problems entering the lounge in Concourse B. Agent did immediately say "I see you are Alaska Airlines frequent fliers" when we handed him our boarding passes, which did make my heart skip a beat, but we were admitted without any issues.

A bit disappointed to discover that this isn't the concourse where the lounge has the duty free shopping in it, and with gates right to the plane, but complaining about that definitely is a #firstworldproblem. (I'll still complain to the end of time about not getting limo service however!! :-))
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Toronto1970
A bit disappointed to discover that this isn't the concourse where the lounge has the duty free shopping in it, and with gates right to the plane, but complaining about that definitely is a #firstworldproblem. (I'll still complain to the end of time about not getting limo service however!! :-))
If you're still there and will be for another couple hours, you should be able to train over to concourse A and check it out. Won't let you board from there, naturally, but it's a pretty impressive lounge to see in person. Also I heard the shower rooms are better there though you've probably already taken care of that.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: General Awesome Guy
Originally Posted by SFO777
Indeed. Having just flown SFO-DXB-CPT-DXB-JFK this past week, I'm ready to move on. EK is not what it used to be. Adequate but nothing great. There are better airlines. Food and wines are not what they used to be. And DXB is becoming way too chaotic. Too many bus gates and inadequate attention to premium pax on the ground.

AS needs to come clean and remove EK First Class from its award chart.
I did 3 RTs in EK F in the last 12 months (CPT twice and MLE). The crews can make the onboard experience either mediocre or outstanding. My first flight's crew was super proactive. Our second trip had a lackluster crew that couldn't be bothered to lift a finger. Perhaps because of the inconsistencies, "EK is not what it used to be." Bus gates are a function of construction, but it's pretty amazing that EK offers such limited premium pax ground services. I use Marhaba anytime I have to leave the airport. Maybe for the sake of selling Marhaba, they offer so little...
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by lucjos0224
So has anyone had success booking First or Biz class tix using miles post Mar, where Expert Flyer shows ample availability (specifically Z=3, D=7 during September), but no availability shows on AS website?

I know the F workaround over the phone is pretty much done, but what about for J?
Pretty much gone you have to sit and pound away everyday I gave up and booked BA F to JNB
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
If you're still there and will be for another couple hours, you should be able to train over to concourse A and check it out. Won't let you board from there, naturally, but it's a pretty impressive lounge to see in person. Also I heard the shower rooms are better there though you've probably already taken care of that.
Alas, I didn't have time to make it over to A. The shower rooms in B were indeed pretty lackluster.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Alas, I didn't have time to make it over to A. The shower rooms in B were indeed pretty lackluster.
But the good news was there was a 75% chance you could take one on the plane, right?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
But the good news was there was a 75% chance you could take one on the plane, right?
Well I certainly wasn't going to blow all those points if I couldn't fly on the A380!! That was actually the whole point of the trip!

(And I managed to find an itinerary home with both legs on an A380, so I had TWO showers on a plane!)

For a 15 second video of my shower on the ICN-DXB leg, see: https://instagram.com/p/0oYDyWFP-Y/?...=bradintoronto <nothing too graphic, other than middle-aged greying chest hair. LOL>
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:37 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf

Yeah the B showers are pathetic. More like a biz class contract lounge shower.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:48 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Pretty much gone you have to sit and pound away everyday I gave up and booked BA F to JNB
You can outsource that easily.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:09 am

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
So not only is First gone, Business is also gone too? I was looking at some dates in May/June; departing from LAX.. they were wide open as of a couple of weeks ago, and now its basically 100% gone, just Economy?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by buylowsellhigh
So not only is First gone, Business is also gone too? I was looking at some dates in May/June; departing from LAX.. they were wide open as of a couple of weeks ago, and now its basically 100% gone, just Economy?
Appears to be the case.
Lots of close in Z and D availability on EF yet zero-zip-nada on AS.com.

If AS cared about being honest, this would be the new EK partner award chart...

Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by SFO777
Appears to be the case.
Lots of close in Z and D availability on EF yet zero-zip-nada on AS.com.

If AS cared about being honest, this would be the new EK partner award chart...

I have seen rare business opening and thats really close to departure date. Sad, again I personally would prefer AS in One World at least we all would have a "shot" at good seats rather than the current situation.

Last night I sucked it up and booked BA and paid the vig
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:54 am

Spotted EK SFO-DXB April 7th in F. So there is still a chance in the famous words from "Dumb and Dumber 1".

Looked at EF and it does show Z=3. AS website allows you to book 4 seats in F for that flight

Definitely there, not phantom in the true sense, but not sure if one could go through the entire booking process.

Have not done much in future searches, but seeing that EF had Z=3 for April 7th, I thought that may be the new cut off instead of the Z=2 that we had to deal with before it showed as available. SFO-DXB has Ef Z=3 on April 16-17-18, but nothing on AS. So obviously that theory is wrong.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:59 am

I just find it to be so disingenuous that March 28 is upon us and AS has not seen fit to provide any further information on the "system glitch," or how or when they intend to remedy the issue.

We’ve determined the source of the problem. It is a known technical limitation when sharing availability between multiple systems. Seats will stop displaying when Emirates inventory gets low in a particular cabin.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:42 am

Definitely South of Expected.

I wonder what the possible motivation would be for Alaska to mislead (lie to) their customers?

I know that question assumes a fact not in evidence, but it certainly SEEMS to be the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.