Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I have no reserve AS miles. How would I go about doing this? The date for the potential return isn't available yet, but the date for the MAD-DXB portion is. Do I have to wait a few days until my DXB-LAX segment opens up to book the flights? When I cancel my current itinerary, I know I'll lose the $12.50 (x2 seats), but will my AS miles immediately become available in my account again? Or does it take a few days before I can use them again? Or is it better to call in to the center and let them do it?
Silly question: Why cancel your existing reservation rather than just changing it to the reverse?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by OptionsCLE
Booked two F tickets IAH-DXB-BKK (stopover) BKK-HKG. I've already changed the itinerary a few times to get dates/times in order and it's been incredibly easy. Another datapoint to confirm what others have posted above...there's no space left on our first two flights, but changing the date of BKK-HKG hasn't been a problem.
Never mind, EK does fly BKK to HKG!

Last edited by DaveInLA; Apr 15, 2015 at 9:23 am
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
Silly question: Why cancel your existing reservation rather than just changing it to the reverse?
What is the difference between changing it to the reverse, versus canceling it and rebooking?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:10 am

What is the difference between changing it to the reverse, versus canceling it and rebooking?
Cancelling involves losing the partner fee that's already been paid whereas changing it doesn't.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
Cancelling involves losing the partner fee that's already been paid whereas changing it doesn't.
Can I change the flight online or do I have to call?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:07 am

Can I change the flight online or do I have to call?
I have been successful changing the routing online. I have not tried to change the origin/destination online but I think it would work.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:48 am

I booked IAH-DXB (22 hour stop-over) then ATH.

IAH-DXB is F
DXB-ATH is J even though Expert Flyer shows Z1. I wasn't able to get the AS site to let me book one seat in F. It always showed mixed-cabin awards. I was hoping to lock this one seat in F & hope another one opened up closer to the departure date.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Any recent problems getting access to F outstation lounges (I'm particularly interested in LA) or at DXB?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Was issued an invite in ICN with no prompting at checkin. No issues at DXB either.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:26 pm

I've read countless datapoints of no limo, but has anybody successfully gotten the limo ride recently? If so, what did you do to get it? Thanks
Old Apr 18, 2015, 6:42 pm

I've read countless datapoints of no limo, but has anybody successfully gotten the limo ride recently? If so, what did you do to get it? Thanks
Same here, was wondering if in DXB you can just flash your F boarding pass, will they let you use the free EK Chauffeur without a reservations?.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:26 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by ual902
was wondering if in DXB you can just flash your F boarding pass, will they let you use the free EK Chauffeur without a reservations?
Anything is possible but very unlikely.

In DXB and elsewhere in the Middle East, you won't "flash" your way to anything. EK and its peers have protocols, which are not easily altered.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by dayone
Anything is possible but very unlikely.

In DXB and elsewhere in the Middle East, you won't "flash" your way to anything. EK and its peers have protocols, which are not easily altered.
Agreed suggest not to pressure your luck "pushy' Americans don't get far

I would however if you so deem yourself to be respectful and humbly inquire at the desk, 3rd floor first class fourth floor business class
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:54 pm

Folks quick question.

Let's say I have follow in one way segments lax-dxb-mxp and currently dxb-mxp segment is not available.

1. Can I make lax-dxb reservation now and add the dxb-mxp segment of it get available? How could I do so? Can I add the segement till the very last moment of travel? Is there a change fee?

2. Let's say if I book the full reservation and dxb-map section with lower class. Can I upgrade later if things get availabla?How could I do so? Can I add the segement till the very last moment of travel? Is there a change fee?

Appreciate the help
Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, AS MVPG
Had a SFO-DXB in F booked weeks ago and just called in to tack on a DXB-HKG leg, also in F. Was thinking it wouldn't be possible because there is no longer F available on the SFO-DXB leg, but based on the past few pages of this thread I I decided to give it a try. Went through without a hitch.

Maybe my change never implicated the married segment rule to begin with, but in any event I was pleased.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.