Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by onfo
Has anyone been able to book DXB-MRU EK#701 using AS miles? I've not seen it at all.

Also, is Dubai Connect (a/k/a ground transportation and hotel) available for AS award tickets? I know that the chauffeur is not, but Dubai Connect seems different, and I've not seen anything in the terms prohibiting its use on AS award tickets.
Departing JFK 8/19 I see EK701 on 2 of the options that come up. 703 seems to have more availability. Not that many dates are available to begin with

No Dubai Connect on award ticket. Maybe if booked with EK miles but I believe its not for them as well. OZ has a similar program for revenue tickets only
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Has anyone been able to book DXB-MRU EK#701 using AS miles? I've not seen it at all..
Have seen it, but ended up booking 703/702.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Many thanks for taking the time to reply and provide me with the answer. Quite helpful!

NB: I did some further research and learned that AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel. I'll update the wiki accordingly so edgewood49 needn't take the time to reply again.
Ok this subject has been discussed too times than not, so here is the best advise I can give you from someone who has done this and has four more flights booked.

Once you have your reservations confirmed take that and call EK and asking them to book the hotel and or car service. If you get a negative try again another day.

There have been some hiccups now and then regarding exactly what you get and what you don't. AS will tell you call EK, I also have an EK FF account for my paid trips, that also helps a bit.

Hope this helps you as there really is no secret bullet I can tell you given the redemption the flights alone is sufficient for me too many of us American's have this entitlement mentality when using points overseas, NOT meant to offend anyone in this room. Burning 150K a year traveling you see a lot
Old Jun 5, 2015, 11:58 am
Suspended

I have a question regarding adding infants to the itin. I am trying to add infant to the flight operated by EK from DXB to SEA and later connecting in SEA to the final destination. I called Alaska and asked about adding infant to the ticket. I was told that I need to call EK to add the infant.

Now I am assuming I can add the infant by paying 10% of the full fare of the class. Please correct me if I am wrong?

Second, coming into DXB from origin, we wanted 3-4 days stopover, instead, we are just getting overnight stay, how often do the EK space open up close to the departure? I am talking about the first week of Jan, 2016 and also are there any additional fees we will be paying when and if the space opens up (that includes additional fare for infant to EK )?

Edit to add: Just called EK local office here in NY and I was told only Alaska Airlines can issues an infant ticket.

Second Edit: Finally was able to book/add infant for 10% of the fare after calling Emirate 800 number.

Last edited by nadir576; Jun 9, 2015 at 9:24 am Reason: find more info:
Old Jun 5, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nadir576
I have a question regarding adding infants to the itin. I am trying to add infant to the flight operated by EK from DXB to SEA and later connecting in SEA to the final destination. I called Alaska and asked about adding infant to the ticket. I was told that I need to call EK to add the infant.

Now I am assuming I can add the infant by paying 10% of the full fare of the class. Please correct me if I am wrong?

Second, coming into DXB from origin, we wanted 3-4 days stopover, instead, we are just getting overnight stay, how often do the EK space open up close to the departure? I am talking about the first week of Jan, 2016 and also are there any additional fees we will be paying when and if the space opens up (that includes additional fare for infant to EK )?

Edit to add: Just called EK local office here in NY and I was told only Alaska Airlines can issues an infant ticket. Can someone clarify the rules regarding infant tickets for alaska airline? I always called the booking airline (AA, United etc) to add infant no matter who is the carrier.
Ive always been told have to go to emirates. It will be 10% regardless of who in the end does the ticketing.

I did find this older thread that says that what AS reservations said. Must call EK

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...lap-child.html

I know there is another thread somewhere where another person was able to via EK's reservations call center
Old Jun 5, 2015, 12:35 pm
Suspended

thanks ^^. Trying back and forth with no luck. Will give it a try tonight.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

From what I've seen if Z, D or X=1 its not bookable online

Haven't tried to call.
Is that possible to split a multipassenger itinerary to separate reservations then?
Old Jun 6, 2015, 1:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by zig2
Originally Posted by beckoa

From what I've seen if Z, D or X=1 its not bookable online

Haven't tried to call.
Is that possible to split a multipassenger itinerary to separate reservations then?
Should be possible. I'd say that's the route to go. I just split a KL res in half- did take a bit as the agents calculated taxes manually. (got a refund presumably due to the drop in the Euro.)
Old Jun 6, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: free agent
Anyone ever pull off award routing that involve 4-5 a380 F ride such as JFK-MXP-DXB-HKG-BKK-HKG?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:17 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by washeelers747
Anyone ever pull off award routing that involve 4-5 a380 F ride such as JFK-MXP-DXB-HKG-BKK-HKG?
Yes, I have an itinerary with 4 legs on A380 F. But, it is not easy.

Last edited by whimike; Jun 8, 2015 at 1:24 pm
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:42 am

Nevermind

Last edited by DaveInLA; Jun 8, 2015 at 11:49 am
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
Figured it out

Last edited by batmandds; Jun 8, 2015 at 11:57 am Reason: Figured it out
Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by batmandds
Also, does the stopover have to be in DXB? Wondering if someone could stopover in MXP as part of JFK-MXP-DXB-HKG. Thanks!
Should be able to stop-over in MXP although I cant get it to work online.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by whimike
Yes, I have an itinerary with 4 legs on A380 F. But, it is not easy.
yeah, it took while for me to search, but i pull off 5 legs (JFK-MXP-DXB-HKG-BKK-HKG) next Feb. I know it's little crazy to average Joes, but this trip allow me to have decent 4 hours layover in DXB to enjoy F lounge and 8-9 hours in HKG to enjoy dinner with HK friends. Enjoy your next a380 F journey!
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by washeelers747
yeah, it took while for me to search, but i pull off 5 legs (JFK-MXP-DXB-HKG-BKK-HKG) next Feb. I know it's little crazy to average Joes, but this trip allow me to have decent 4 hours layover in DXB to enjoy F lounge and 8-9 hours in HKG to enjoy dinner with HK friends. Enjoy your next a380 F journey!
How did you manage to do this? Via phone?
I'm interested in JFK-MXP-DXB-BKK-HKG one way

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.