Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by robsaw
I think waiving the $75 annual fee due to their error will be easy compared to getting online access back. As the only BofA CC product in Canada, which has a very limited distribution potential, my guess is that the card could easily die whenever their agreement with AS is up for renewal. Hence, no incentive to bring on-line access back. The thing is, back before BofA tookover and integrated with MBNA there was a Canadian AS VISA card that had on-line access through the usual BofA website. I believe part of the issue is that MBNA Canada (now owned TD) still handles all the AS Mastercard processing.
That's what they told me when it first disappeard. That the Canadian Mastercard was not bought by TD and was retained by BOA Canada unlike the rest of the business. It wasn't worth it to develop the online access for the few customers who were affected, the Canadian AS Mastercard holders. I agree they will probably phase it out at some point but I wanted the 25,000 bonus before they did.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:38 pm

I think it's worth the bonus and the companion fare, BUT it's a little scary not to have online access. That means you need to wait a whole month to figure out if you've had any unauthorized charges on the card. I like to keep close tabs on charges to my cards quite frequently. Without it, a fraudster could do A LOT of damage with this card. Probably a good card NOT to use for anything except the bonus and the companion fare...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by pokee
I think it's worth the bonus and the companion fare, BUT it's a little scary not to have online access. That means you need to wait a whole month to figure out if you've had any unauthorized charges on the card. I like to keep close tabs on charges to my cards quite frequently. Without it, a fraudster could do A LOT of damage with this card. Probably a good card NOT to use for anything except the bonus and the companion fare...
I agree, that was my biggest issue. I check my cards every day or two. They do have an automated phone system (yeah, I know) that lists all your activity and their customer service is open 24 hours but it's still a pain. My biggest complaint is that while you can get an updated balance and charges from the online system, you can't get the balance due from your last statement. My statements never arrive before the payment is due so I always have to phone and talk to a live person to find out how much is owing on the statement (I always pay it in full but don't want to pay current charges). That is a PITA. Other than that, their customer service has always been excellent.

Last edited by Finkface; Feb 15, 2013 at 10:26 am
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by pokee
The phone number on the back gives automated access to recent charges and current balance. Not as convenient as on-line, but no need to "wait a whole month" either.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by robsaw
The phone number on the back gives automated access to recent charges and current balance. Not as convenient as on-line, but no need to "wait a whole month" either.
Well, that's better than nothing, I suppose...
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:30 pm

received a letter today dated Feb 12 2013, stating that they recognize that for a brief period that the online application for the card indicated that there was no annual fee.

Letter states that they will reimburse the annual fee,

letter goes on to state that if you cancel the card, they will contact the credit bureau's to remove their inquiry from your credit record.

I'm satisfied with their response.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by reggie108
received a letter today dated Feb 12 2013, stating that they recognize that for a brief period that the online application for the card indicated that there was no annual fee.

letter goes on to state that if you cancel the card, they will contact the credit bureau's to remove their inquiry from your credit record.

Wow, that's great. Good service on their part. So are you reinstating? Funny that they were adamant on the phone that the website never said any such thing. I guess sending in the screen shots convinced them but someone would have had to go in and make the manual fix back to $75 once it had been noticed back in January so why the denial?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by reggie108

That's great! Do you get the miles either way?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 3:39 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Observations. Why is BofACanada even here/in existence.

I applied online 7 days ago.
  • Their website said: I could not be approved automatically, and would be reviewed by an account manager.
  • I called yesterday and was told my application had not populated the system yet.
  • I called today and was told I was "automatically" approved.
  • My account will be reviewed for 10 days as a security precaution
  • In 10 days my card will be created and mailed in 7 days.

So, 24 days to get a card...

It doesn't matter to me one bit, but gosh their system is convoluted.
I signed up for a diff card at a diff bank and was able to make "online" purchases within 1 min of being approved.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ D*G, AS MVPG, AF G, GHA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Anyone have recent success stories of cancelling and reapplying and receiving the 25K bonus? I'm almost at a year-end with my card now.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 1:07 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Not sure on reapplying, but I did apply 2 months ago, and only just now got the card (and bonuses)
Old Apr 9, 2013, 3:03 pm

I did as well. Applied for a new card, got it, canceled the old one. No problem.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by deasine:20563514
Anyone have recent success stories of cancelling and reapplying and receiving the 25K bonus? I'm almost at a year-end with my card now.
No need to cancel first, just apply for a second card. Only thing to keep in mind is that they have a max CL per client (my max was 25K). In that case you may need to reallocate your credit between your two cards, before they will approve your second application. Signup bonus and other perks will also apply for your second card (as well as a second annual fee) .
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:14 pm

I'm out

Have two AS cards. ( Canadian ).... Use them for business and was very happy for a couple years. Hung in there with the loss of first class companion. Same with no online access although that was very much a deal breaker. Final was change in availability of first class bookings with points and the points required.
IM OUT. Switched to Cap One card and can pay cash for first class at posted rates with same spend level. Did I mention on any airline at any time? INCLUDING ALASKA!!!!!
No comparison. I accumulate 25k plus points a month and they just blew me off...
Am I reading correctly that there are only 73 Canadian AS card holders? Find that hard to believe...
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Boatnut
Have two AS cards. ( Canadian ).... Use them for business and was very happy for a couple years. Hung in there with the loss of first class companion. Same with no online access although that was very much a deal breaker. Final was change in availability of first class bookings with points and the points required.
IM OUT. Switched to Cap One card and can pay cash for first class at posted rates with same spend level. Did I mention on any airline at any time? INCLUDING ALASKA!!!!!
No comparison. I accumulate 25k plus points a month and they just blew me off...
Am I reading correctly that there are only 73 Canadian AS card holders? Find that hard to believe...
Where does it say that there are 73 AS card holders?
If you can put 25k spend per month you're better off getting an RBC Avion or a SPG Amex.
This card is just good for churning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.