Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Preacher7
I'm a Canadian who lives in the US. Can I get both the US and Canadian versions, with bonuses for both on the same Mileage Plan account?
I have both. As long as you can get approved credit-wise and residency-wise for both, AS doesn't care how many you have. It's the banks you have to convince. The two banks, BofA and MBNA (TD) have nothing to do with each other so they will have no idea if you have the other's product.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Great! That's all I needed to know. I'm getting lots of CC sign up bonuses with Canadian CCs, and lots of lots of bonuses in the US--this will simply add to the arsenal!
Old Sep 2, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Great! That's all I needed to know. I'm getting lots of CC sign up bonuses with Canadian CCs, and lots of lots of bonuses in the US--this will simply add to the arsenal!
Me too. How lucky are we to be able to do both? The US ones are far superior though.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
You're right, on both counts. But man, being able to supplement things with the Canadian bonuses is great. Example, 32K Starpoints for $120 on a card churnable every ~6 months in Canada is a great ongoing supplement to a max of 35K Starpoints every ~2 years on the US equivalent.

Or how about the AS Visa (af refunded by Great Canadian Rebates), the Amex Gold, churnable ~year, Chase Marriot Visa, CIBC Aeroplan cards with waived afs this summer, Amex Biz Golds, and the list goes on. The US bonuses are for sure superior. But being able to double dip in Canada is still a real blessing!

How long have you held your Canadian AS Visa before you applied for your second? And how many have you been able to hold at a time before canceling?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:52 pm

I have almost all the ones you have. 2 active AS Mastercards, Chase Marriott Visa, CIbC Aerogold. No Amex ones, other than an old Airmiles one - not sure why I haven't gone there yet. Mr. Fink has all the same.

I got my first AS M/C in Mar. 2012. Didn't apply for my second until Feb 2013, after I found God (er, sorry, I meant FT ). We both applied for our third last month through the GC Rebates and, while we were both approved and the bonuses posted right away, an agent called us up to inquire how much of a credit line we wanted on each of the three cards. He asked if I would rather just move most of the credit from my first card to the new one or of I even needed the old one. Since I was going to cancel one in Feb at renewal anyway, he just closed it for me on the spot. But he had no problem with us having 3 cards each. Oh, the joys of a great credit rating. So 3 bonuses and now only 2 active cards with about a 4 month gap between the last 2 apps. Oh, and we upgraded all three cards to World Elite, so a 10K bonus x 3 there as well, including the now-closed card as the bonus had already posted.

But I am obviously not that good 'cause I have no idea about Starpoints. Guess what I will be staying up tonight reading about?

You're right, on both counts. But man, being able to supplement things with the Canadian bonuses is great. Example, 32K Starpoints for $120 on a card churnable every ~6 months in Canada is a great ongoing supplement to a max of 35K Starpoints every ~2 years on the US equivalent.

Or how about the AS Visa (af refunded by Great Canadian Rebates), the Amex Gold, churnable ~year, Chase Marriot Visa, CIBC Aeroplan cards with waived afs this summer, Amex Biz Golds, and the list goes on. The US bonuses are for sure superior. But being able to double dip in Canada is still a real blessing!

How long have you held your Canadian AS Visa before you applied for your second? And how many have you been able to hold at a time before canceling?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:44 am

Remember that the Chase cards do not seem to hand out the sign-up bonuses more than once - so they're not good for churning. I plan to keep my Chase Marriott and pay the AF (GASP!) and churn the rest!

The Alaska Airlines MC one is 'next' on my churning list!!!
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by pokee
Remember that the Chase cards do not seem to hand out the sign-up bonuses more than once - so they're not good for churning. I plan to keep my Chase Marriott and pay the AF (GASP!) and churn the rest!

The Alaska Airlines MC one is 'next' on my churning list!!!
I could be wrong (but I have both so I don't think so) but I don't think the US and Canadian Chase talk to each other. I know in the US, you can get only one bonus per type of card but you can get the US and the Canadian versions (if they each have the same one) with both bonuses as the two countries are not linked.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:55 pm

AFAIK T&C says bonus only once although I know some people have gotten bonus twice.
Nothing about saying churnable or not tho (of course no signup bonus means no use in churning)
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: Enough
What's this 10K World Elite promo? Can someone please explain, I'm not finding a reference to it on the MBNA website.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by durberville
What's this 10K World Elite promo? Can someone please explain, I'm not finding a reference to it on the MBNA website.
Just go back a couple of pages in this thread and start reading at post #139. It should tell you everything you need to know.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
Just go back a couple of pages in this thread and start reading at post #139. It should tell you everything you need to know.
^
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:33 pm

World Elite

Check your mail today for an offer to upgrade your MBNA Alaska Airlines Master Card to World Elite. There is no additional charge and includes 10,000 free Alaska Airlines miles and additional benefits over the existing Platinum Plus card. TD Bank seems to be behind this offer.

This is a targeted promo associated with a specific credit card number. My other Alaska Airlines Platinum Plus card did not currently qualify yet. There is no code to reference and the program still has a few bugs so they cannot process the upgrade for several days.

Hope you all receive a letter in the mail.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by sailingman22
Check your mail today for an offer to upgrade your MBNA Alaska Airlines Master Card to World Elite. There is no additional charge and includes 10,000 free Alaska Airlines miles and additional benefits over the existing Platinum Plus card. TD Bank seems to be behind this offer.

This is a targeted promo associated with a specific credit card number. My other Alaska Airlines Platinum Plus card did not currently qualify yet. There is no code to reference and the program still has a few bugs so they cannot process the upgrade for several days.

Hope you all receive a letter in the mail.
It is not targeted by credit card number and no letter is required. The letter is a mass mailing - I received 3 of them today but my cards were updated and activated last month. It is open to all MBNA AS cardholders as long as the household income threshold is met. As with my reply to the poster 2 posts above yours, just go back a couple of pages in this same thread and start reading at post #139.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:02 pm

I can only pass along what the rep stated. She stated that the letter was linked to one specific credit card number and did not include my second card. My wife has 2 Platinum Plus cards, higher credit rating, and income and she did not receive a letter yet.

If it were linked to income, all our cards would have been upgraded.

Sorry for any duplicate message.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by sailingman22
I can only pass along what the rep stated. She stated that the letter was linked to one specific credit card number and did not include my second card. My wife has 2 Platinum Plus cards, higher credit rating, and income and she did not receive a letter yet.

If it were linked to income, all our cards would have been upgraded.

Sorry for any duplicate message.
You don't need the letter. You just log on to your online account, click on rewards and the offer banner will be there. I updated my cards and my husbands last month after reading post #139, received them and activated them but only received the letters today. I did one of mine over the phone as I had questions (see my post #151. ) and did the others online. So you can do it all online, no letter necessary. But you have to proactively do it, they don't upgrade them automatically as you have to verbally or electronically agree to the terms and conditions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.