Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by heraclitus
Aw geez, this is not good. I recently successfully applied for 2 AS cards, separated by a couple of months. My wife has one and needs #2 to match me, but I'm starting to wonder if it's going to work.
I dont think it will. After calling in twice about my Declined card I applied for a couple days ago the guy said it was a new rule that came down in an email a few weeks ago.
Old May 4, 2016, 7:49 pm

i applied early April for my 2nd card and was approved. I guess I made it in before the policy change?
Old May 5, 2016, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by w000t
i applied early April for my 2nd card and was approved. I guess I made it in before the policy change?
w000t indeed!
Old May 5, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Yes... 2 days

Originally Posted by steveo345
2 days?
Just called and they approved me! At least now I will get 25k, I was going to plan a mini-RTW with AS, but with the EK devaluation and this 1 card per account, it looks like it will not likely to happen, unless I travel in Y...
Old May 6, 2016, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jma12
Just called and they approved me! At least now I will get 25k, I was going to plan a mini-RTW with AS, but with the EK devaluation and this 1 card per account, it looks like it will not likely to happen, unless I travel in Y...
Did you currently have an open Alaska cardf
Old May 7, 2016, 6:30 am

Data Point: Just got declined for a second card, have previously held 4 at anyone time
Old May 7, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Gold, FPC Plat
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Data Point: Just got declined for a second card, have previously held 4 at anyone time
Thanks for following up. Anyone know specifically what the new rules are? Perhaps with TD's ownership they will be similar to the TD aero visa where after 6 months of holding you can cancel and reapply?
Old May 7, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by steveo345
Did you currently have an open Alaska cardf
Yes I did, but I cancelled it so I can get the 25k.
Old May 7, 2016, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by MJ777
Thanks for following up. Anyone know specifically what the new rules are? Perhaps with TD's ownership they will be similar to the TD aero visa where after 6 months of holding you can cancel and reapply?
According to the agent the rules are: A customer can only get 1 Alaska Credit Card, this rule started on April 25 (unfortunately, the day I applied) to avoid customers to have multiple companion passes in their account. Previously, I had 3 Alaska Card at the same time.

I am not sure you have to wait 6 months to churn the card, but I applied my last card on August last year.
Old May 7, 2016, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by MJ777
I was told by an agent last year that as long as you cancel and don't reapply in 3 months that they will not re-open the card. Therefore I waited 3.5 months and reapplied and received a new card with the 25K bonus.
Old May 8, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Gold, FPC Plat
Good to know, thanks prmetime & Jma
Old May 10, 2016, 6:42 am

Ok, so I have 2 Alaska cards from last year. Cancelled another two months ago. Based on what I'm reading I'm ok to cancel the two that I have and apply 3 months later I should be good?

Or is there a card in the MBNA family that I can convert an existing card to, in order to keep the balances I have with MBNA? Can be handy to transfer over to a new application.
Old May 10, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: SPG
Hello,

I've applied and got approved for Alaska card. I've cancelled the previous Alaska card 1.5 years ago.

1. I did not see a field for FF number. I already have Alaska miles and would obviously like to put sing up bonus in the existing account. How do I do that?
2. Any good suggested uses of partner pass out of DTW? I am in TO, so my guess is this pass needs to be solely used on Alaska metal on revenue ticket and DTW is the closest Alaska Air served airport to me. Alaska seems to have expensive tickets from DTW to a few places I've tried, except maybe for SEA. I generally book my tickets in advance and/or cheap tickets, so it is very unlikely for me to buy last minute expensive tickets on Alaska.
3. 3. Vancouver is the only option Canadian for Qantas Award using Alaska Airlines Miles from Australia, correct? Codeshares (if any), can not be used for ticketing, correct? E.g. SYD-JFK-YYZ is not a valid ticket on Qantas.

Thanks!

Last edited by Vit007; May 10, 2016 at 5:56 pm
Old May 10, 2016, 11:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
1. I did not see a field for FF number. I already have Alaska miles and would obviously like to put sing up bonus in the existing account. How do I do that?
Read upthread. They will add it automatically. You can call to confirm after you receive the card.

2. Any good suggested uses of partner pass out of DTW? I am in TO, so my guess is this pass needs to be solely used on Alaska metal on revenue ticket and DTW is the closest Alaska Air served airport to me. Alaska seems to have expensive tickets from DTW to a few places I've tried, except maybe for SEA. I generally book my tickets in advance and/or cheap tickets, so it is very unlikely for me to buy last minute expensive tickets on Alaska.
You can probably get a decent discount to some West Coast destinations like Hawaii or LAX. NYC is worth considering as a starting point if you don't mind paying for a positioning flight.

3. 3. Vancouver is the only option Canadian for Qantas Award using Alaska Airlines Miles from Australia, correct? Codeshares (if any), can not be used for ticketing, correct? E.g. SYD-JFK-YYZ is not a valid ticket on Qantas.

Thanks!
Yes, but you are highly unlikely to find award space on Qantas using AS miles.
Old May 11, 2016, 5:21 am

I don't ever use my companion pass, being in YYZ, it's super hard to use

MBNA auto-reduced my MBNA Alaska limit to $500 to approve my 0% Platinum card
so I just asked to close/merge it anyway

will re-apply Alaska card in a while

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.