Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Not yet. Going to do it in the next week or so. I cancelled in July...

I think the T&C that is relevant there is the "one bonus per new account
"...so if they simply re-activate your old account, no points.
Yep - that's what I figure. Is there anyway I would know for sure that it's my old account (and just reactivated, with a re-issued card) - short of calling to ask specifically?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by pokee
Did you end up re-applying? I applied today thinking it had been over three months - and was approved. BUT...I just did the math and realized that I only cancelled the previous card about 60 days ago. Does that mean they'll just re-open my account for my cancelled card, or issue me a new card, but without the 25K bonus? Anyone have any experience re-applying too soon (but also approved) after new 90 day rule was implemented?

This is what my application approval said:

Applicant: <my name>
Credit Application Status: Received and Approved
Your Reference #: <my reference number>

Thank you for your Alaska Airlines® World Elite® MasterCard® card credit application. Your application form is approved, with a credit limit of $10000.

You will receive your new credit card in the mail within 10 to 15 business days
, along with the terms and conditions. If you do not receive your credit card within this time frame, please notify us by calling 1-800-404-1319. Thank you for choosing the Alaska Airlines® World Elite® MasterCard®.

I also looked at the T&C and there's nothing there about a 90 day wait to receive the bonus...so I guess it will likely be a matter of whether or not my cancelled account was simply re-opened, which seems likely. This is what the T&C say:

†† To qualify for this offer, an applicant must be approved for the specific credit card account described in the offer. The account must be used for at least one eligible purchase transaction that is not subsequently rescinded, the subject of a charge back request or otherwise disputed. Please allow 8-10 weeks from the transaction date for bonus Miles to be posted to your Mileage Plan account. Limit one-time bonus Miles offer (no cash value) per new account. This promotion is offered by MBNA and may be amended or cancelled at any time without notice. Additional bonus Miles may be awarded if a completed application is submitted to an Alaska Airlines employee.
My highlights in red lead me to think that a new account was opened.

Is the limit mentioned the same as your previous? Even it it is,I still think a new account was opened,but if not...then moreso!If they reinstated your old account,I would have thought that the online application would have been placed "under review" and then you would have been advised,by telephone,that they would reinstate your previous account. Just my opinion.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by jubberly
My highlights in red lead me to think that a new account was opened.

Is the limit mentioned the same as your previous? Even it it is,I still think a new account was opened,but if not...then moreso!If they reinstated your old account,I would have thought that the online application would have been placed "under review" and then you would have been advised,by telephone,that they would reinstate your previous account. Just my opinion.
Yeah - I think you may be right...this limit is higher (they gave me $5000 last time).

Anyway, if it is a new account - great data point, because I only cancelled my card 2 months ago! ^
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:42 am

you should find out after your first statement, assuming you put through a charge. there will be a spot on your statement showing "miles transferred to Alaska MP" or something to that extent. it just takes time to show up in your Alaska account, though.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
you should find out after your first statement, assuming you put through a charge. there will be a spot on your statement showing "miles transferred to Alaska MP" or something to that extent. it just takes time to show up in your Alaska account, though.
Thanks - I'll report back on what actually happens!
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:41 pm

Received Bonus 2 Months After Cancelling Card

Well, this was a bit of an accident on my part, but I cancelled my AS MC card back in Nov 2016 and reapplied in Jan 2017 and still got a new account/card the 25K bonus! I even got my GCR rebate without issue. Wow.......this is quite the solid churn!!!
Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:04 pm

Uh-Oh. I don't see that GCR offers rebates for MBNA cards any longer
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by jubberly
Uh-Oh. I don't see that GCR offers rebates for MBNA cards any longer
They are there now. https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/display/Finance/
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by prmetime
Thanks! ^
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:11 pm

Just recently applied for this card again (after cancelling last year).

Received something in the mail asking me to verify my identity with Canada Post. I've never seen this before, is this new? Anyone else gotten these letters?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Just recently applied for this card again (after cancelling last year).

Received something in the mail asking me to verify my identity with Canada Post. I've never seen this before, is this new? Anyone else gotten these letters?
I haven't but my son has - have you moved since last time you had the card? This would be more typical for someone whose mailing address can't be readily verified against their credit profile; generally people new to credit cards.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by robsaw
I haven't but my son has - have you moved since last time you had the card? This would be more typical for someone whose mailing address can't be readily verified against their credit profile; generally people new to credit cards.
Negative. Same address as my previous MBNA Alaska card. Weird...
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Negative. Same address as my previous MBNA Alaska card. Weird...
I'd never heard of it before - but I looked it up. I guess it's a form of fraud protection, to make sure someone else didn't apply for the card using your info. An alternate version of the banks that make you pick up your new credit card at the branch. What did you have to do at Canada Post? Could you just go to one of those outlets in a drug store and do it there?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
I'd never heard of it before - but I looked it up. I guess it's a form of fraud protection, to make sure someone else didn't apply for the card using your info. An alternate version of the banks that make you pick up your new credit card at the branch. What did you have to do at Canada Post? Could you just go to one of those outlets in a drug store and do it there?
Went to nearest Canada post outlet (inside a Shoppers). They took my DL and punched the info their computer and that was it.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 1:18 pm

Just got my first statement, and saw that 25000 bonus pts posted but not transferred to my mileage plan account yet.
Do I need to initiate the transfer process by calling in or submitting within my MBNA online account?

I appreciate any input.

Last edited by lingecw; Feb 8, 2017 at 4:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.