Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by robsaw
Not yet, but last time I had an issue with MBNA points posting I never received a reply to my email but my missing points appeared 2 or 3 days later. Has only been 3 working days since I submitted the email so it just may be in the queue still - or not.

What about others that are still waiting?
Thanks.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Has anyone gotten the GCR rebate on apps since May?
Still waiting.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:08 pm

It can take 3 months to receive the GCR rebate eg.I applied for the Alaska card February 16th and received the rebate May 15th.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:31 pm

me neither - sent a note in now to mileage plan; hope this isn't a random systemic issue that requires individual requests to fix.
Finally, the miles for my May billing period posted - 27 days after the billing date. That's the longest I've ever experienced.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:55 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Finally, the miles for my May billing period posted - 27 days after the billing date. That's the longest I've ever experienced.
My miles were finally posted as well, after 28 days. I hope this does not happen again but you never know.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Jma12
My miles were finally posted as well, after 28 days. I hope this does not happen again but you never know.
Points posted for June 16 statement closing date one day later - a new record in the positive direction.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:20 pm

Update: My GCR rebate posted this week for early May app.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:24 pm

deleted
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:23 pm

How do you verify your account has been closed? I called in to cancel the account a month ago. But when I login to my online account today, there is no where mentioning the account has been closed. Other than talking to an agent again, any other way to verify that my account has been closed successfully?
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by lingecw
How do you verify your account has been closed? I called in to cancel the account a month ago. But when I login to my online account today, there is no where mentioning the account has been closed. Other than talking to an agent again, any other way to verify that my account has been closed successfully?
They leave the accounts accessible on-line with no indication it is closed - other than calling-in, you can check your credit report with either Equifax or Transunion - but that will cost you for an immediate on-line report unless you have free/already paid access.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:37 pm

Time To Ditch AS Loyalty & This Card?

Annual fee is coming up and I'm questioning my loyalty & this credit card.

No free bag, a foreign exchange fee so I don't use it outside Canada and lately with the merger with VX, given SEA is the nearest AS major hub for me, several flights of late have ended up going from non stops to having connections via SFO. One flight teturning from PSP now leaves me with a 6hr connection in SEA to YYJ! Strewth!

Every bonus mile opportunity (shopping, surveys, dinning) that comes along pretty much is for our U.S. friends.

So, the perk of a Companion fare aside, am I the only one feeling It's time to switch?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by MAXII

No free bag, a foreign exchange fee so I don't use it outside Canada and lately with the merger with VX, given SEA is the nearest AS major hub for me, several flights of late have ended up going from non stops to having connections via SFO. One flight teturning from PSP now leaves me with a 6hr connection in SEA to YYJ! Strewth!

Every bonus mile opportunity (shopping, surveys, dinning) that comes along pretty much is for our U.S. friends.

So, the perk of a Companion fare aside, am I the only one feeling It's time to switch?
Kind of feel the same way... I'm usually only in it for 6 months for the bonus lol. Even to OGG from BLI you typically need to return via PDX - annoying! But I would use Avios for that flight anyway...
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MAXII

While the benefits are fewer, don't forget that you are earning Alaska Miles at a discounted rate. $1 CAD, earns 1 Mileage Plan Mile. $1 USD earns 1 Mileage Plan Mile. With today's exchange rate you are earning ~26% faster than your American friend. For a quick example, if you spend $5,000 CAD on the card you will have enough MP Miles for a discounted "hop" award. Your American friend will have to charge $5,000 USD or $6332 CAD for the same award.

Nobody likes to pay foreign currency exchange fees (typically 2.5% of the converted amount) and cards that offer a no currency exchange fee are a nice relief from the, until recently, inevitable. In the case of purchasing Alaska Flights with 3x MP miles. Lets look at an example. Again at today's exchange rate consider an Alaska $1,000 USD itinerary. Your American Friend would earn 3,000 MP Miles. You charge the $1,000 USD to the Canadian Alaska Airlines Mastercard. The exchange will be $1,226.69 fare + $30.67 exchange fee = $1,257.36 CAD. MP Miles on the transaction is 3,772. If you buy from an OTA quoted in Canadian Dollars the price you will pay will also include a foreign currency exchage fee but hidden in the final price and could be more than the fee charged by MBNA administrating the Affiliate Card or they may charge a booking fee in lieu.

The single most valuable benefit of the card is the annual companion certificate. The $75 CAD annual fee for me is insignificant. $6.25 CAD per month or $7.92 CAD per month for your American Friends. 🤔

My home Airport is YLW. I do own several properties in PHX so I do have a US Address. I have five Alaska Airline Credit Cards, 2 US Visa cards and 3 Canadian MasterCards. I can easily save more than $1,000 USD in fares on each companion certificate. I like to use them for Mini Vacation/Mileage Runs to maintain staus which brings a whole new basket of benefits including checked bags and the ability to purchase immediately upgradeable fares that will have you flying in first if there is upgrade space available at the time of purchase. Each person on the companion ticket also earns full miles flown.

I have one comimg up in October. I put together a four country 10 segment itinerary. The base fare was ~$1,200.00 USD and the companion $99.00 USD plus fees and taxes,. The itinerary is 15.5K miles and will put me into MVPG75K.

If I didn't have Elite Staus or the American Visa and can still save over $1,000 USD on an itinerary I am not sure I would be too terribly concerned about paying for a couple of checked bags.

Some thoughts to consider,

Cheers.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I got a letter in the mail today saying every purchase between August 15th and... i forgot, enters me into a draw for a flight&hotel package to NYC

... sure?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
While the benefits are fewer, don't forget that you are earning Alaska Miles at a discounted rate. $1 CAD, earns 1 Mileage Plan Mile. $1 USD earns 1 Mileage Plan Mile. With today's exchange rate you are earning ~26% faster than your American friend. For a quick example, if you spend $5,000 CAD on the card you will have enough MP Miles for a discounted "hop" award. Your American friend will have to charge $5,000 USD or $6332 CAD for the same award.

Nobody likes to pay foreign currency exchange fees (typically 2.5% of the converted amount) and cards that offer a no currency exchange fee are a nice relief from the, until recently, inevitable. In the case of purchasing Alaska Flights with 3x MP miles. Lets look at an example. Again at today's exchange rate consider an Alaska $1,000 USD itinerary. Your American Friend would earn 3,000 MP Miles. You charge the $1,000 USD to the Canadian Alaska Airlines Mastercard. The exchange will be $1,226.69 fare + $30.67 exchange fee = $1,257.36 CAD. MP Miles on the transaction is 3,772. If you buy from an OTA quoted in Canadian Dollars the price you will pay will also include a foreign currency exchage fee but hidden in the final price and could be more than the fee charged by MBNA administrating the Affiliate Card or they may charge a booking fee in lieu.

The single most valuable benefit of the card is the annual companion certificate. The $75 CAD annual fee for me is insignificant. $6.25 CAD per month or $7.92 CAD per month for your American Friends. 🤔

My home Airport is YLW. I do own several properties in PHX so I do have a US Address. I have five Alaska Airline Credit Cards, 2 US Visa cards and 3 Canadian MasterCards. I can easily save more than $1,000 USD in fares on each companion certificate. I like to use them for Mini Vacation/Mileage Runs to maintain staus which brings a whole new basket of benefits including checked bags and the ability to purchase immediately upgradeable fares that will have you flying in first if there is upgrade space available at the time of purchase. Each person on the companion ticket also earns full miles flown.

I have one comimg up in October. I put together a four country 10 segment itinerary. The base fare was ~$1,200.00 USD and the companion $99.00 USD plus fees and taxes,. The itinerary is 15.5K miles and will put me into MVPG75K.

If I didn't have Elite Staus or the American Visa and can still save over $1,000 USD on an itinerary I am not sure I would be too terribly concerned about paying for a couple of checked bags.

Some thoughts to consider,

Cheers.
Thanks for your super post and putting things in perspective for me. Renewal is assured now!😀

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.