FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard
View Single Post
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:52 pm
Finkface

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I have almost all the ones you have. 2 active AS Mastercards, Chase Marriott Visa, CIbC Aerogold. No Amex ones, other than an old Airmiles one - not sure why I haven't gone there yet. Mr. Fink has all the same.

I got my first AS M/C in Mar. 2012. Didn't apply for my second until Feb 2013, after I found God (er, sorry, I meant FT ). We both applied for our third last month through the GC Rebates and, while we were both approved and the bonuses posted right away, an agent called us up to inquire how much of a credit line we wanted on each of the three cards. He asked if I would rather just move most of the credit from my first card to the new one or of I even needed the old one. Since I was going to cancel one in Feb at renewal anyway, he just closed it for me on the spot. But he had no problem with us having 3 cards each. Oh, the joys of a great credit rating. So 3 bonuses and now only 2 active cards with about a 4 month gap between the last 2 apps. Oh, and we upgraded all three cards to World Elite, so a 10K bonus x 3 there as well, including the now-closed card as the bonus had already posted.

But I am obviously not that good 'cause I have no idea about Starpoints. Guess what I will be staying up tonight reading about?

Originally Posted by Preacher7
You're right, on both counts. But man, being able to supplement things with the Canadian bonuses is great. Example, 32K Starpoints for $120 on a card churnable every ~6 months in Canada is a great ongoing supplement to a max of 35K Starpoints every ~2 years on the US equivalent.

Or how about the AS Visa (af refunded by Great Canadian Rebates), the Amex Gold, churnable ~year, Chase Marriot Visa, CIBC Aeroplan cards with waived afs this summer, Amex Biz Golds, and the list goes on. The US bonuses are for sure superior. But being able to double dip in Canada is still a real blessing!

How long have you held your Canadian AS Visa before you applied for your second? And how many have you been able to hold at a time before canceling?