Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many times have you been upgraded on AF/KL ?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by Mirk
If anyone can get an outstation gate agent to talk about the instructions they have...
I doubt a gate agent would know.
Old May 4, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: flying blue
The chance of getting free upgrade from KLM is extremely small. Since a month ago, KLM started offering discounted paid upgrade on each flight as soon as there are still seats available, the more the seats available in business class, the lower is the price. In the past they only offer discounted upgrade if economy is over booked, but now they do it on all the flights even if economy is not full and that offer applies to all kinds of economy class tickets. I flew couple of time KLM business class in the past 2 years and business class was ALWAYS FULL. So, frequent flyers can forget about free upgrade. For my work I usually fly within EU and I’m fine with economy comfort ( free for platinum). I fly 2 times a year AMS-HKG private and I make sure that I book early bird business class offer, usually around 1800 euro. Good deal! Free upgrade from KLM is gonna be history unfortunately!
Old May 4, 2018, 2:09 pm

I'm also under the impression that KL became much better at managing their yield on medium-haul recently but from my observations, it seems that the rule of upgrading the elites when Y is full is well respected on KL. The only thing I'm not sure is what order of priority is given among the Platinums: do they discriminate on fare or how long they've been plat for example?
If anyone can get an outstation gate agent to talk about the instructions they have...
yes, gate agents do have a chart of upgrading orders and they follow it strictly. Every action the gate agent does will be recorded and tracked, so it is not like they can just upgrade anybody they like.
Old May 4, 2018, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by wuzziduzziman
I doubt a gate agent would know.
yes, they definitely do, all of them actually. I used to work in airline 15 years ago ;-)
Old May 4, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
I'm also under the impression that KL became much better at managing their yield on medium-haul recently but from my observations, it seems that the rule of upgrading the elites when Y is full is well respected on KL. The only thing I'm not sure is what order of priority is given among the Platinums: do they discriminate on fare or how long they've been plat for example?
The gate agents don't have the choice. Upgrades are processed by algorithms in the booking system and are presented to the agents on their screens.
Old May 4, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by sharonchan813
The chance of getting free upgrade from KLM is extremely small. Since a month ago, KLM started offering discounted paid upgrade on each flight as soon as there are still seats available, the more the seats available in business class, the lower is the price. In the past they only offer discounted upgrade if economy is over booked, but now they do it on all the flights even if economy is not full and that offer applies to all kinds of economy class tickets. I flew couple of time KLM business class in the past 2 years and business class was ALWAYS FULL. So, frequent flyers can forget about free upgrade. For my work I usually fly within EU and I’m fine with economy comfort ( free for platinum). I fly 2 times a year AMS-HKG private and I make sure that I book early bird business class offer, usually around 1800 euro. Good deal! Free upgrade from KLM is gonna be history unfortunately!
This is (partly) true for long haul (it has been much more than a month). But for short haul it's a different story. Nobody bites at the upgrade offers within Europe because the price is high and the product does not really justify it. What price would you pay for a gin and tonic and an upgraded sandwich? Potentially a little more space, but if you are in an Exit Row and lucky enough to have an empty middle seat then there is more space than in Europe Business.

Like you I also snatch the good long haul Business deals, and like you I am happy with my free Exit Row seats within Europe (I prefer these over Economy Comfort as I am not usually in a rush to disembark and the space is better). But within Europe I definitely often get lucky with upgrades to Business.
Old May 4, 2018, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbams
The gate agents don't have the choice. Upgrades are processed by algorithms in the booking system and are presented to the agents on their screens.
so it is not like they can just upgrade anybody they like.
Yet they sometimes upgrade pax at their discretion for reasons of their own.

A colleague and I were once waiting in line behind a pax who turned out to be a sportsman of some distinction. I had never heard of the guy, but the KL agent was apparently a devotee of that particular sport. As soon as he had left, she called the gate and asked the agent to make sure this pax got an upgrade, mentioning that she was a great fan, bla bla bla. While she was arranging this important matter she kept the two of us waiting. As we were conversing in Danish, it probably never occurred to her that I understood every word she was saying in Dutch.

I have been the beneficiary of such upgrades myself too. I once arrived in the lounge with a girlfriend (no status) who was afraid of flying, and it showed. The lounge dragon asked what was wrong, and expressed her sympathy. A few minutes later she came over with two J class boarding cards. On the return flight a week or so later we were miraculously upgraded as well. These were longhaul flights.

So . . . strings can be pulled, and stuff happens.

Johan
Old May 4, 2018, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I flew couple of time KLM business class in the past 2 years and business class was ALWAYS FULL.
A couple of full flights doesn't prove much, and certainly not that business class is ALWAYS FULL.

On shorthaul flights, I rarely see a full J cabin, despite the movable divider. On my regular commute the cabin is mostly not even half full. Last week there were only three of us in the minimum two rows.

It may well be that longhaul J load factors have increased over the years, but I do see empty seats. Usually not many, but business class is definitely not ALWAYS FULL.

Johan
Old May 5, 2018, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
A couple of full flights doesn't prove much, and certainly not that business class is ALWAYS FULL.

On shorthaul flights, I rarely see a full J cabin, despite the movable divider. On my regular commute the cabin is mostly not even half full. Last week there were only three of us in the minimum two rows.

It may well be that longhaul J load factors have increased over the years, but I do see empty seats. Usually not many, but business class is definitely not ALWAYS FULL.

Johan
I do mean long haul flight though (perhaps I should have added this in my previous post). For EU flights, it is not worth the price to pay for business class, the seats are exactly the same as economy comfort, only with middle seat empty. I usually fly long haul Asia, the load factor is over 95%. And if C is not full, they sell upgrade proactively. At some out stations, ground agent get commission for selling upgrade. In the last 2 years I flew several times C from Amsterdam to HKG, ICN, JNB, TPE, I have not seen any empty seats. And a few of my friends work in KLM over 20+ years, they can travel non revenue on C, I was also told that they is very little chance nowadays that staff get C seats. Anyway, my point is that KLM C is very full for Asian routes. In the past I bought Y ticket and hope for discounted upgrade at check in, but nowadays I prefer to buy C early bird deal. For short haul flight, I’m very happy with my free exit row or economy comfort seat :-)

Last edited by Sharon Chan; May 5, 2018 at 2:21 am
Old May 5, 2018, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by sbams
This is (partly) true for long haul (it has been much more than a month). But for short haul it's a different story. Nobody bites at the upgrade offers within Europe because the price is high and the product does not really justify it. What price would you pay for a gin and tonic and an upgraded sandwich? Potentially a little more space, but if you are in an Exit Row and lucky enough to have an empty middle seat then there is more space than in Europe Business.

Like you I also snatch the good long haul Business deals, and like you I am happy with my free Exit Row seats within Europe (I prefer these over Economy Comfort as I am not usually in a rush to disembark and the space is better). But within Europe I definitely often get lucky with upgrades to Business.
Agree with you! 2 weeks ago I was offered 49 euro upgrade to J on AMS-DUS, why would I want to pay 49 euro for sandwich? This is very expensive sandwich, hahaha.

Last edited by Sharon Chan; May 5, 2018 at 2:20 am
Old May 5, 2018, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Yet they sometimes upgrade pax at their discretion for reasons of their own.

A colleague and I were once waiting in line behind a pax who turned out to be a sportsman of some distinction. I had never heard of the guy, but the KL agent was apparently a devotee of that particular sport. As soon as he had left, she called the gate and asked the agent to make sure this pax got an upgrade, mentioning that she was a great fan, bla bla bla. While she was arranging this important matter she kept the two of us waiting. As we were conversing in Danish, it probably never occurred to her that I understood every word she was saying in Dutch.

I have been the beneficiary of such upgrades myself too. I once arrived in the lounge with a girlfriend (no status) who was afraid of flying, and it showed. The lounge dragon asked what was wrong, and expressed her sympathy. A few minutes later she came over with two J class boarding cards. On the return flight a week or so later we were miraculously upgraded as well. These were longhaul flights.

So . . . strings can be pulled, and stuff happens.

Johan
Of course exceptions can happen, but ground agents do have guidelines to follow. Same like on board, pursers can still give free upgrade to pax at certain circumstances (Few years ago, I was upgraded once on AMS-HKG to C due to drunk pax next to me). But in general, ground agents do follow the procedures.

Last edited by Sharon Chan; May 5, 2018 at 2:25 am
Old May 5, 2018, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
The system is deciding for them. They have no room (or very little) to change what the system has “decided”.
Old May 5, 2018, 4:16 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold

Agree with you! 2 weeks ago I was offered 49 euro upgrade to J on AMS-DUS, why would I want to pay 49 euro for sandwich? This is very expensive sandwich, hahaha.
Flying C is more than just that though. People flying Easyjet are happy to spend 20 euro for priority boarding and a better seat, as well as 20+ euro for lounge access through Priority Pass. Which doesn't even come with priority security.

Using such upgrade to KLM business one gets all those things. I very much agree that the in the air experience is only slightly improved (though being able to guaranteed stow your hand luggage & to be the first of the plane is nice!), but the services on the ground should definitely be counted. When you have a long time to spend at the airport the lounge access can be very useful for example.

The sad part is that this doesn't apply much to frequent flyers, as they get many of those services for free anyway. Therefore you could even say that such upgrade is actually more valueable to regular pax, than to frequent flyers!
Old May 5, 2018, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak

The system is deciding for them. They have no room (or very little) to change what the system has “decided”.
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Flying C is more than just that though. People flying Easyjet are happy to spend 20 euro for priority boarding and a better seat, as well as 20+ euro for lounge access through Priority Pass. Which doesn't even come with priority security.

Using such upgrade to KLM business one gets all those things. I very much agree that the in the air experience is only slightly improved (though being able to guaranteed stow your hand luggage & to be the first of the plane is nice!), but the services on the ground should definitely be counted. When you have a long time to spend at the airport the lounge access can be very useful for example.

The sad part is that this doesn't apply much to frequent flyers, as they get many of those services for free anyway. Therefore you could even say that such upgrade is actually more valueable to regular pax, than to frequent flyers!
True! For the ppl with long connecting time, it is definitely a good deal to do such upgrade. An access to the lounge would cost 30+ euro already. I won’t consider that because I’m platinum and I enjoy the ground privileges anyway. If the paid upgrade will give me J XP, then I may consider, unfortunately it doesn’t ;p
Old May 5, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat

Of course exceptions can happen, but ground agents do have guidelines to follow. Same like on board, pursers can still give free upgrade to pax at certain circumstances (Few years ago, I was upgraded once on AMS-HKG to C due to drunk pax next to me). But in general, ground agents do follow the procedures.
Of course the system is what drives things, but as long as humans control computers there is ALWAYS the opportunity for staff to bend the rules 😉. Anything is possible. E.g. last year I was on a Delta "non upgradeable" ticket but ended up first on the upgrade list.
Obviously, for staff to be able to bend the rules they need to have a justifiable reason. "I like the passenger" is not enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.