Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many times have you been upgraded on AF/KL ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by DoctorBueno
I've been upgraded from Eco (light fare) to Business this month on a CDG-LED flight on AF (my electronic boarding pass was updated while I was sipping cocktails at the 2E - L gates lounge :-) ).
It surprised me since there were still available seats in Y after boarding was complete.
Surprising indeed if there were free seats remaining in Y. Maybe they were expecting more pax that finally didn't show up/misconnect at the last minute.

Originally Posted by DoctorBueno
Something else questioned me: when CI on line, the day before departure, I was proposed a 109€ upgrade to J while my friend I was traveling with (on a different booking reference) was proposed a 509€ upgrade for the same seat (we both obtained our Gold status at the same time and usually travel together, so same flyer profiles). Any idea why such a difference?
We had multiple reports like that. The proposed price is clearly customized. Maybe your friend already benefited from a cheap upgrade recently and so they didn't want him/her benefiting from the same discount another time (to avoid the situation where people will always book Y thinking they will buy a cheap upgrade to J at OLCI).
But 109 EUR for you was great for such a long medium-haul flight. ^
DoctorBueno likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:32 pm

I am DL GM and had an interesting experience on AF a few weeks ago on an intra-EU flight. Shortly after takeoff, the purser comes to me (I am in the first row of Y), thanks me for my elite+ status on Delta and flying with AF, apologizes that there are no extra exit row seats or they would move me to one, so she offers to move me one row ahead into J so I can at least have a meal. I know onboard upgrades on DL are forbidden, so I thought it very strange, but I wasn't going to turn it down. Is this common practice on AF?
Goldorak likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by The Situation
Is this common practice on AF?
No it's not, but you had the chance to fly with a exceptional crew.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Had a free upgrade on both legs of a return AMS-VIE a week ago. Guess due to my plat status and clearly full Y.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
So far, among a dozen of flights this year, 2 upgrades:
* AMS-STR, award flight - got the C meal also, unlike many other upgraded pax who got the Y snack.
* CDG-DXB, directly to J from cheap Y ticket.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: FB Platinum PA; IHG Diamond Ambassador
This year 2 upgrades:
AMS-LHR
CPH-AMS
Both times on an Embraer and both times the C meal.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AF/KL FB Gold (E+) TK Elite (*G) QR Gold (OW Sapphire) IHG Platinum, B&W Diamont, Ascott Gold
Upgrades this year:
YUL-AMS Eco to Business
CDG-YUL Eco to Business
Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: FB Plat, BA Bronze, Hotels.com
Two in last 4 months.

JFK to​​​to CDA on a KL ticket where there were about 5 people board before me and I was only person in SkyPriority Zone

EDI to AMS - only to Economy Comfort, free upgraded seat choice in App day before flying. Makes a change from other recent in app offers such as taking a 3rd hold case for £178 when I'm flying hand luggage only
Old Aug 30, 2019, 2:06 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
WAW-AMS last week , booked in Y

upgraded at gate because Y was full . Only two paxs flying to ORD paid for J , the rest from Y

Got J meal while others received a meal sandwich

Last edited by fifty_two; Aug 30, 2019 at 2:28 am
Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: BA, KLM
15 months as Platinum, and have flown about 40 European legs since and not even a sniff of an upgrade.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Nothing this year yet but got some CDG-PRG op ups and GOT-AMS once with Y service tho. Good old days are gone when I scored ugprade to UD on HKG-AMS. On partner airline with KL STE+ I only got AM on MEX-AMS and FCO-PRG on AZ. I just found myself in a state of mind where I book J directly I am not disappointed then...
Old Sep 1, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: National EE, Flying Blue/SPG/Sixt platinum, Hertz PC, Club Carlsson, Best Western Diamond, IHG
Originally Posted by Dougy Giro
15 months as Platinum, and have flown about 40 European legs since and not even a sniff of an upgrade.
Well... 20 years with Air France.
Most of them with a status, mainly Gold, 3 years as Platinum recently and will be back Platinum this week but never upgraded (even when I flew the day of my birthday)...
Just have a very decent price (10k miles) for upgrade of my wife on a LAX-CDG flight from Premium Eco low fare to Business at the airport.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Got my first op-up in years a couple of weeks back, on a packed AMS-DUB flight. They had been looking for €149 for the upgrade during OLCI, but proceeded to seat me in a row with someone else - this was an Embraer so no empty middle seat; I nipped back one row to 2F (seems to be the seat I end up in always with AFKL lately ) after boarding was announced as complete, as 2D/F was the only unoccupied row in the J cabin (which was only 2 rows). I wonder why their seating selection during op-up would do that...

2D was completely wet, by the way, with moisture that appeared to have leaked from the air vents earlier.

Last edited by irishguy28; Sep 2, 2019 at 2:51 am
Old Sep 2, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Nothing in 5 years (nearly half of that at Platinum) of work-related flying with AF/KLM. Very little intra-Europe travel, however.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: BA, KLM
Originally Posted by PeteM01
Nothing in 5 years (nearly half of that at Platinum) of work-related flying with AF/KLM. Very little intra-Europe travel, however.
When I was Platinum about 10 years ago I was upgraded lots of times between AMS and MUC, and then I was flying to Cape Town on my own money and not a sniff then; oh how I would have traded those 10-15 European upgrades for a single AMS- Cape Town upgrade!!
PeteM01 likes this.

Last edited by Dougy Giro; Oct 2, 2019 at 3:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.