Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many times have you been upgraded on AF/KL ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by troje
I have exactly the same experience and think there is a link between how flights are booked and your chances of being upgraded. Flights I book myself, mostly for private use, are highly likely to be upgraded. Flights booked through the corporate travel agency are never upgraded.
I think it’s rather the opposite. Corporate clients are more likely to receive an op-up in the secret upgrade algorithm
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
Just got upgraded on my AMS-BRU flight! What a true pleasure it was. I really enjoyed my plastic cup with water before takeoff!
Before takeoff? Really? Lucky you!

Can't remember when I last got a pre-departure drink in EB without asking for it.

Johan
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: FB Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Before takeoff? Really? Lucky you!

Can't remember when I last got a pre-departure drink in EB without asking for it.

Johan
That's been a mixed bag in the past. Sometimes they offer it but more often they don't.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: FB plf; IB oro; LA black
What a surprise

After more than two years without any upgrade, I've just been upgraded to EBC. When boarding at BRU and onboard at AMS. Quite full planes.
It was my lucky day, since my parking réservation (4weeks) has also been upgraded from very remote discount parking to P2 in BRU.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Alaska MVP Gold
Op-up at the gate, AMS-YYC in the dreamliner. Very nice product and one of the better times catering.
glennhaak likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Are these free upgrades given at gate as you are about to enter, or are you called up some minutes before hand?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLBGO
Are these free upgrades given at gate as you are about to enter, or are you called up some minutes before hand?
In my personal experience usually the former, occasionally the latter.

Johan
KLBGO likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
OK, I was called up once - but i did not go. They were looking for people voluntarily checking in hand luggage some minutes before
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
One of mine (CDG to Asia long hauls) showed up when I scanned my boarding pass arriving at CDG from the US.
One was given to me at the lounge at CDG when I was trying to use Delta miles to ‘buy’ an upgrade. The agent wouldn’t sell it to me, just told me it had already come through.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, All Accor Platinum
got my first op up ever!! after 1 year silver 1 year Gold and 2 years platinum, was upgraded to Premium Eco (from cheapest Y) on CDG JFK. best part is my parents whose booking was "linked" to mine got it too. i guess the strikes played in my favor as the plane was fulll !

I discovered it after i was refused access to SkyP check in with my parents ( it is normal because they have no status), once i wanted to print our luggage tags, i got the message " you were upgraded", at first i just thought about J and forgot about Premium Eco.

i guess now i ll probably wait for a long time before the next upgrade!
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:47 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Alaska MVP Gold
I was pretty late at the gate, so last one to board. Got a beep and KLM lady behind the counter told me I would be moving up front.
Wunk likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I think it’s rather the opposite. Corporate clients are more likely to receive an op-up in the secret upgrade algorithm
I don't agree, based on my own experience
Old May 2, 2018, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by sbams
I don't agree, based on my own experience
So we have different experiences and it just confirm how complex and secret the upgrade algorithm is !
af fp likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: BA, KLM
10 years ago when Platinum and flying NCL-AMS-MUC return every week for 9 monthy I was usually upgraded on at least one, if not 2 sectors of a 4 sector return trip.
This year, I have flown 49 sectors since Feb, of which 20 since I became Gold and not a sniff of an upgrade, but there tends to be a lot of Platinums travelling between NCL - AMS/ CDG, and the AMS/CDG - DUS flight is rarely completely full
Old May 4, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
I'm also under the impression that KL became much better at managing their yield on medium-haul recently but from my observations, it seems that the rule of upgrading the elites when Y is full is well respected on KL. The only thing I'm not sure is what order of priority is given among the Platinums: do they discriminate on fare or how long they've been plat for example?
If anyone can get an outstation gate agent to talk about the instructions they have...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.