Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many times have you been upgraded on AF/KL ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by carnarvon
Regarding the rest of your story, please understand that linking PNR's is an urban legend. PNR cannot be linked.

The only thing they can do is put a remark in the file, but there is no linking as such.

No machine will "see" that you are travelling together. Only staff opening the file will be able to see it (if they pay attention and read the comments).
Thanks for the clarification! Yes that's what they did so I guess they don't open the file of each passengers when looking for people to OpUp

I will know that there's no point getting that done next time I have a guest on a different PNR although they offered me some free Comfort seats for my guest so it wasn't completely a waste of time.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ST Elite+ (FB), MR Plat for Life, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
1 time during IRROPS CDG-DUS in 2009 as Gold (E+ with Czech airlines)

Last edited by Ivanko; Apr 9, 2017 at 9:34 pm
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:12 pm

I guess I can report my recent double upgrade on a BHX-CDG-JFK with a Y->J on BHX-CDG and Y->W on CDG-JFK
First one was due to downgrade of plane from A319 to A318 and the other to, I assume, overbooking of the Y.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: FB
Once on a CDG -> BOG flight.
First I have asked in the lounge to purchase an upgrade for Y->J. (2500€) And didn´t take it.

During boarding I got a new BP for W.
(Y was over booked)
FB Silver at that time.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by Layh
Once on a CDG -> BOG flight.
First I have asked in the lounge to purchase an upgrade for Y->J. (2500€)
That was obviously not any kind of DoD upgrade offer.
Just the cost for an upgrade from a low Y to a higher (if not highest) J fare.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:19 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Wow, nice that you got the upgrade.

In about ten years I've yet to see any operational upgrade.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Gold
Opup success W->J

Flying MUC-CDG-DTW. After I got to CDG, I saw Y and W completely full, so I inquired in the lounge about an upgrade. At first they offered one for cash or miles ( 350 euro or 10000 AF miles ), but then as they tried to process the system blocked it saying this flight wasn't allowing paid upgrades.

Then I get to the gate, and saw my name on the monitor by the desk asking me to come to the counter. Low and behold - upgraded from W to J. Funny how that turned out.

This was my second AF TATL opup - same route as last time ( CDG-DTW ).

Boy are those 343s starting to show their age!
Old Apr 8, 2017, 3:50 pm

And one more upgrade on a KLM cityhopper flight yesterday. I'm on a roll these days!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
Originally Posted by Mirk
Thanks for the clarification! Yes that's what they did so I guess they don't open the file of each passengers when looking for people to OpUp

I will know that there's no point getting that done next time I have a guest on a different PNR although they offered me some free Comfort seats for my guest so it wasn't completely a waste of time.
Last week CDG-VCE Y (cheapo) to C thanks to a very large group of school-kids that had economy overbooked.

On the way back, no upgrade, but an extremely attentive Purser... the Platinum chat but with a little more sincerity and an actual discussion, followed up with some Chocolates form C - seriously pleasant flight!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CPH-AMS at the gate yesterday.

Happens on average 1 or 2 times a year. Always shorthaul, on longhaul flights there is nothing to upgrade me to.

Johan
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:31 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Not too surprising considering how they've lately put on even more of a show about upgrading yourself on the day of departure. I've seen small placards at check-in desks and even gates telling people to ask about an upgrade to world business class with KLM. Add to that the bidding system + OLCI offers... and you end up with nice full J cabins on every flight. Little room for an op-up.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: FB Gold • LH Senator • BA Silver • ITA Premium
Originally Posted by caliform
Wow, nice that you got the upgrade.

In about ten years I've yet to see any operational upgrade.
Me too
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform
Not too surprising considering how they've lately put on even more of a show about upgrading yourself on the day of departure.
Chances are most likely a bit higher on KL shorthaul, given the steep prices at which they offer OCLI upgrades, and given that Europe Business always comprises of a minimum of two rows.

Johan
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:15 pm

After not seeing an op up for an eternity, I was pleasantly surprised (rather startled) to get a W upgrade from a cheapo fare a couple of weeks ago. The first ever on AF metal (CDG-BLR).
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:58 pm

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
My first upgrade ever was from NRT to CDG on AF metal (A380). Got an *onboard* upgrade from Y to W (my first time on a premium cabin). I was FB Silver at the time.
After that, I only got upgrades on KL metal. When I was gold, I've got a KIX-AMS, AMS-YUL 2 times, and an AMS-JFK. FB Gold first and now FB Plat.
On short haul, upgrades have been around 10 in 3 years, mostly on KL and - weirdly enough, I've also got a couple of upgrades on AZ when the CDG/AMS JV was ongoing, all on LIN-AMS/CDG routes that got overbooked very easily on Y. Last upgrade was a CDG-ZRH though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.