Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ 5A1 - Paris CDG Airport FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 4:16 pm

Connection 2E to 2B staying airside?

Hi,
I'm travelling NCL-CDG-MSQ on Tuesday, arriving at CDG 0915 at 2E (the AF NCL flight always parks a way away and you get bussed in), departing 1120 Belavia from 2B.
Unfortunately my two flights are not linked at all (getting them on one ticket was about 4x more expensive), so if I check any baggage in I'd have to retrieve it and recheck it.
I could get away with hand baggage only on the first leg, as AF let you have a handbag/laptop in addition to a carry-on bag, but probably would have to check the larger one in for the Belavia flight as their policy is stricter.
So I was thinking of keeping the larger bag with me for the first leg, so I don't have to wait to retrieve it, and then checking it in for the second leg. But I guess that means going landside and going through security and passport control again, am I right?
If I were hand baggage all the way I think I could stay airside all the way from 2E to 2B and bypass security (as my origin and destination are both non-Schengen), but is there any way I could stay airside but still check the larger bag in for the second flight?
Anyone know what happens if you turn up at a gate with more handluggage than you're allowed? Do they take it off you and put it in the hold, or charge you extra, or ??? I honestly haven't a clue.
Thanks!
Rae
Old Nov 7, 2010, 6:06 pm

Hi all

I am flying ZRH-CDG-JFK with AF in premium economy

I will arrive in 2G at 09:10 and continue from 2E at 10:30

I just realized 80 minutes is not alot. What do you say to this connection? It was sold by AF?!

If I dont make it, the next flight is a A380 that does not have premium economy, what would the policy be, upgrade me to business or put me on a even later flight that has premium economy? As I have a wedding in New York that day, its not really a option!

Thanks for your input
Old Nov 7, 2010, 11:49 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by moebod
Hi all

I am flying ZRH-CDG-JFK with AF in premium economy

I will arrive in 2G at 09:10 and continue from 2E at 10:30

I just realized 80 minutes is not alot. What do you say to this connection? It was sold by AF?!

If I dont make it, the next flight is a A380 that does not have premium economy, what would the policy be, upgrade me to business or put me on a even later flight that has premium economy? As I have a wedding in New York that day, its not really a option!

Thanks for your input
Connecting from 2G to 2E is straightforward. There is a specific bus from 2G to 2E's two boarding areas, first satellite S3 and then 2E itself, with passport control taking place in 2G before boarding the bus. So you should be fine.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
2G --> 2D and 2D --> 2G in less than 55 mins? Possible?

To update on my flights in the previous mail. My 55 mins quickly turned into 35 mins due to delays. I was very very lucky in that the transfer bus came within a minute and no security. I each case I was the last passenger to board/bussed to the connecting flight.

I am amazed that this is designed like this, and wonder as a no so frequent AF flyer, how many passengers who are sold tight connections end up missing them. It must cost AF a fortune! At least in FRA, CPH, MUC to name a few you would have been met and bussed directly with such ticght connections. Even LHR manages to have an airside bus service....
Old Nov 9, 2010, 2:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
thAt least in FRA, CPH, MUC to name a few you would have been met and bussed directly with such ticght connections. Even LHR manages to have an airside bus service....
I do not want to defend CDG, but to utter FRA as abetter alternative only works if you have lucky close gates, just as CDG is a breeze if you've close gates. I just a month ago had a connection at FRA that took 1 1/2 hors because I departed from one of those few gates that has redundant gate-level security in addition to the ordinary one. Thus arriving from Tegel I nearly missed a connection to GIG because of astonishingly slow security and astonishingly long walks.

Bad experiences sometimes happen almost everywhere except MUC, SIN and HKG AFAIK, but I am confident there are horror story threads about each of those also.

Luckily there are fewer bad ones than good ones.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Agree. But at FRA or anywhere else at least, most things are under my control. I can run or walk faster. I can ask at the security line to be allowe din as my connection is tight. And I know if my connection is tighted I will mre times than not be bussed.

But to have to leave the terminal, wait for a bus, then wait as bus driver does bizarre things, such as waited blarring horn as he wanted his exact spot as there was a taxi there, rather than just opening the doors????

Yes as someone who travel CDG once a year I was prepared, did my homework and just made my flights, but if I was not fit and informed, I would have missed them. The mind boggles as to how many people get lost needlessly (or flights delayed) due to the lack of a sensible shuttle arrangement....
Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:19 pm

Do I have to get out in cold?

I am flying FLL-JFK-CDG-BOM.
JFK-CDG is an AA flight while CDG-BOM is an AF flight - so I will arrive at Terminal 2A while I will depart from 2E.

Now, if I understand correctly I will have to take a shuttle bus from 2A-2E.
That would mean that I will need to carry some good winter cloths.
Or is there a way to skip the shuttle. Can I walk from one terminal to other?

Note that I do not have Schengen Visa.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by flltravel
JFK-CDG is an AA flight while CDG-BOM is an AF flight - so I will arrive at Terminal 2A while I will depart from 2E.

Sorry, no way to escape the shuttle bus in your case
Old Dec 4, 2010, 3:29 am

Programs: N/A
Question

Everytime I arrive at CDG 2E, I find the access to PARAFES very confusing, despite being the quickest way to clear passport control (not true is Accès N°1 is clear).
The first time I tried to use it, I completely missed the entrance .
Second time, a lady was waiting to show passengers to PARAFES ^.
Third time, I clearly saw the entrance, but no-one was here and the 'turnstile/barrier' looked closed . So I went to Accès N°1.

I guess my question is: can PARAFES be used at anytime during the day?

Also, last time I flew out of 2F, no PARAFES, do you know if there are any plans to introduce it there?

Cheers,
Charles
Old Dec 4, 2010, 3:43 am

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by stirlingFR
Everytime I arrive at CDG 2E, I find the access to PARAFES very confusing, despite being the quickest way to clear passport control (not true is Accès N°1 is clear).
The first time I tried to use it, I completely missed the entrance .
Second time, a lady was waiting to show passengers to PARAFES ^.
Third time, I clearly saw the entrance, but no-one was here and the 'turnstile/barrier' looked closed . So I went to Accès N°1.

I guess my question is: can PARAFES be used at anytime during the day?

Also, last time I flew out of 2F, no PARAFES, do you know if there are any plans to introduce it there?

Cheers,
Charles
Unfortunately, no. I guess this has something to do with 2F2 moving to Schengen operations in 2012.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by stirlingFR
Third time, I clearly saw the entrance, but no-one was here and the 'turnstile/barrier' looked closed . So I went to Accès N°1. I guess my question is: can PARAFES be used at anytime during the day?
PARAFES is usable any time. No need for an attendant to go in. The turnstile barrier you are referring to is just to be pushed ! It's as simple as this
Originally Posted by JOUY31
Unfortunately, no. I guess this has something to do with 2F2 moving to Schengen operations in 2012.
There is a PARAFES access for arrival at 2F2 (on the right) and I'm pretty sure I already used it for departure at 2F2. Did it change since then ?

Last edited by Goldorak; Dec 4, 2010 at 10:26 am
Old Dec 4, 2010, 3:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by flltravel

Although you will need to take the bus, I have frequently done that in very cold weather without winter clothing. I usually put my winter clothing in a checked bag when going to warm weather. The distance from the door to the bus is only a couple meters and the busses are heated, so I really have not suffered; I am still one of few who do that, almost everyone else is bundled up. If you don't need the clothing at your destination I would personally carry only a sweater or light jacket. A to E no way out of the bus.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by JOUY31
Originally Posted by Goldorak
PARAFES is usable any time. No need for an attendant to go in. The turnstile barrier you are referring to is just to be pushed ! It's as simple as this
Thank you both for your reply ^.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak

There is a PARAFES access for arrival at 2F2 (on the right) and I'm pretty sure I already used it for departure at 2F2. Did it change since then ?
I stand corrected, there is a PARAFES station at 2F2. Sorry for the confusion .
Old Dec 22, 2010, 5:10 am

Programs: United GS, Starwood Platinum
Connecting at cdg

We are arriving at cog after a flight from iad. We have a short 60m connection to Venice. This was the flight the airline showed as the cheapest fare so we took it.

Will we make it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.