Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades for Cash on AF??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
There was a post in the most recent couple of pages that an agent was unable to do an upgrade on a Delta ticket, though space was available. Wonder what the difference is? Maybe that was a skyclub and you were at the check-in counter (though one might hope each of those agents would have access to the same actions - maybe not?)
I am pretty sure that an agent in a SkyClub cannot do Amadeus upgrades on Delta tickets, because they might not have access to Amadeus!
YUL or JFK are stations where check-in is handled by AF and not Delta, so check-in personnel there have access to Amadeus Altea and all its features, including cash upgrades.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by olivedel
YUL or JFK are stations where check-in is handled by AF and not Delta, so check-in personnel there have access to Amadeus Altea and all its features, including cash upgrades.
As with HornsKeith, I'm not checking in at JFK - will just have a layover there. (trip begins at RDU) What about agents in the Air France lounge at JFK?

Or I can just give up hope on the outbound portion at least There's always the return when I will be checking in with AF^
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:38 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
As with HornsKeith, I'm not checking in at JFK - will just have a layover there. (trip begins at RDU) What about agents in the Air France lounge at JFK?

Or I can just give up hope on the outbound portion at least There's always the return when I will be checking in with AF^
At JFK, as Air France departs from T1, you need to go landside anyways. So you can of course ask agents at the lounge, but you can stop at the check-in area to ask too.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:05 am

Programs: DL GM
At JFK, as Air France departs from T1, you need to go landside anyways. So you can of course ask agents at the lounge, but you can stop at the check-in area to ask too.
I hadn't thought of that, but it seems like a worthwhile thing to try. I'll be going from T4 to T1, which I assume means the AirTrain landside is my only option anyway. So if the line isn't crazy long, it might be worth a stop at the AF check-in area as I go by.

Keith
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by HornsKeith
So if the line isn't crazy long, it might be worth a stop at the AF check-in area as I go by.
Try to go directly to the SkyPriority counters.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:09 am

I confused my connections - my AF premium economy trip is outbound through Atlanta (Asia trip later in the fall is through JFK but on Delta.) No AF lounge at atl and I won't be landside either....
Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:42 pm

Grinning

Hi folks, asked at ticket station in Paris for a paid upgrade to business class from Paris to Tokyo, was quoted €539 or £450 for us used to sterling, I jumped on the offer as it is an 11hr flight, also I bought the ticket through an agent and was the lowest of classifications so pretty happy as I don't fly regularly as folks on here, didn't think I would get offered anything flight is very busy and there on 2 y seats left when I got the off had no offers at online check in .
Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:32 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
CDG-BOS

I checked my reservation shortly before check-in opened for CDG-BOS. 389 USD for W to J. I was on the fence, as x2 people it's a bit of money. When checking in it was only 212 USD! Could they be desperate because of on oversold W cabin (we were unable to get W seats assigned until check-in)? For that price I didn't want to gamble if we would get an OpUp (other pax has no status), so I took it. I haven't seen any reports this cheap, although the lowest CDG-Brazil offers reported here may be approaching the same price/hour.

I wonder how often you can fly before ending up on the frequent upgrade list. We come to Europe 4x/year and prices like this might keep me with AF over DL.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
When checking in it was only 212 USD!
WOW ! that's a bargain !

Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
I wonder how often you can fly before ending up on the frequent upgrade list. We come to Europe 4x/year and prices like this might keep me with AF over DL.
to be frank, this price is exceptional. Do not expect that every time
Old Jul 8, 2016, 4:38 am

Programs: FB Gold
Got offered an upgrade from Y to J at OLCI for 89 euros between CPH and CDG yesterday. Declined it, naturally.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 3:04 am

Programs: DL GM
This ended up being the ticket.

To recap: flying to JFK on DL metal and 006 ticket, connecting on AF to CDG and further to TRN on AF. I checked the DL app numerous times during check-in, and it always spent a few moments checking for upgrade availability but never came up with anything. Nothing under My Reservations on AF webpage nor any emails from AF.

So I took the AirTrain over to T1 and proceeded to the Sky Priority line at the AF check-in area. After inquiring about cash upgrade possibilities, the helpful agent very quickly came up with 349 Euro W->J ($387 USD). I promptly accepted, and in a few moments I had my new boarding pass. No issues with my flight being ticketed by Delta that I could tell.

This makes me think I'd consider taking AF TATL more often if the J cabin looks pretty empty. Delta has a much more opaque system where offers only show up in the app or during OLCI and agents can't even see them. And there's no telling if you'll get an offer or you won't- you're basically just spinning the roulette wheel each time and see where the ball lands. I realize AF could tell me there are no upgrade opportunities available (perhaps no O fare class available?), but it's at least nice to deal with a human on the subject.

I assume all the AF check-in counters have the same access? Ie, this works equally well at ATL vs. JFK?

So thanks for the feedback. The new 777 1-2-1 reverse herringbone seats were great. The only downside was the shortness of the JFK-CDG flight for sleeping. It's supposed to be 6.5 hours and only ended up being 6 hours due to a tailwind. But the seats and sleeping comfort were notably better than most Delta J sections.

Keith
Old Jul 9, 2016, 6:47 pm

I assume all the AF check-in counters have the same access? Ie, this works equally well at ATL vs. JFK?
ATL differs from JFK in that you don't need to exit the secure area to access the AF flights. So I'm not sure where you could get AF personnel - having never checked in for an AF flight at ATL, I don't know who does the check-in outside security either.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 11:05 pm

To recap: flying to JFK on DL metal and 006 ticket, connecting on AF to CDG and further to TRN on AF. I checked the DL app numerous times during check-in, and it always spent a few moments checking for upgrade availability but never came up with anything. Nothing under My Reservations on AF webpage nor any emails from AF.
Checking the DL app is pointless in that case. I don't think they can offer upgrades if the check in procedures of the flight are handled by AF at JFK.

So I took the AirTrain over to T1 and proceeded to the Sky Priority line at the AF check-in area. After inquiring about cash upgrade possibilities, the helpful agent very quickly came up with 349 Euro W->J ($387 USD). I promptly accepted, and in a few moments I had my new boarding pass. No issues with my flight being ticketed by Delta that I could tell.
I am glad you took the offer and enjoyed it!

ATL differs from JFK in that you don't need to exit the secure area to access the AF flights. So I'm not sure where you could get AF personnel - having never checked in for an AF flight at ATL, I don't know who does the check-in outside security either.
As check-in procedures are totally handled by DL at ATL, I think they can't even offer upgrades at the airport, but I can be totally mistaken. If DL agents have access to Amadeus Altea DCS, they could process upgrades but I think ATL flights are loaded and handled directly from Deltamatic.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
Received Email offer for 358Euro CDG to DXB (W-J) Took it.

Miles posting as 0 Miles -- shows Booking class J0 .... Flight was on 9th and just looked now at APP. Will this correct it self or need to proactively start chasing?

Last edited by yyzlhr; Jul 11, 2016 at 1:16 am
Old Jul 11, 2016, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by yyzlhr
Miles posting as 0 Miles -- shows Booking class J0 .... Flight was on 9th and just looked now at APP. Will this correct it self or need to proactively start chasing?
You will need to actively retroclaim. Keep in mind that you will earn the miles of your originally booked class/fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.