Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades for Cash on AF??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver / Aegean
Bhx to CDG and back

At OLCI -24 offer was for £ 74 each way per person.. Madam got to have 2 glasses of fizz and lounge access. Food ok and filled a gap. We enjoyed the AF service compared to a Flybe styrofoam coffee! We were celebrating hence did the upgrade, otherwise perhaps extravagant.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: Flying blue
About 2 days prior to my trip back to Europe from MEX, I was offered an upgrade from J to La Premiere fon 1000 USD, from MEX to CDG. it was a bit tempting but I passed on it. I wished I had ask at the counter right before the flight how much it would be.
As one day I would like to have the first class experience
Old Aug 21, 2016, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by rgc01
About 2 days prior to my trip back to Europe from MEX, I was offered an upgrade from J to La Premiere fon 1000 USD, from MEX to CDG. it was a bit tempting but I passed on it. I wished I had ask at the counter right before the flight how much it would be.
As one day I would like to have the first class experience
That's a "bargain". There's no way it could have been cheaper at the counter.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:25 am

Programs: MP Silver / DM /SkyMiles
An (almost) post mortem on my IAD-CDG-BOM r/t (writing this from CDG 2E lounge):

Asked at check-in at IAD about upgrades for IAD-CDG. Friendly counter guy said about prices listed previously (300-400 USD for PE, 500-600 USD for J). Passed on both. Glad we did. Missus and I had a row of three to ourselves on the lower berth of the A380. Totally fine.

CDG-BOM leg in PE. 1/3 full. 7 out of 21 seats occupied. Peeked into rows 5-7 in J and did not see a soul. My seat reclining didn't work, but if I really was worried about that I could have switched seats (obviously). Service was good.

Glad we bought the return in J from the get-go. J was full both legs, it appears. Never slept so well on a flight as I did last night on the BOM-CDG flight. Leaving at 220 am local time didn't hurt. Showers are lounge in 2E are great.

PS. AF lost our luggage outbound and it took 3 days to obtain. Will fill out reimbursement form tomorrow (fortunately, also have trip insurance).

Update: CDG-IAD in J was uneventful and nice as well. Seems IAD-CDG-BOM has great prices for J next summer already...should we be returning.

Last edited by mikepowie; Aug 23, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I specifically chose AF again for this TATL since my last one had an amazing OLCI deal, but sadly, no offer on ORD-CDG for tomorrow. Maybe because I was booked on DL numbers on 006 stock... or because I used the iPad app to check-in? Who knows.

EF shows: J9 C9 D9 I8 Z7 W7 S7 Y9 B9 M9 U9 K9 H9 L9 Q9 T9 N9 R9 G0

Seems odd that they don't try to sell them. I guess I can always ask at the airport. Does it have to be at the ticket counter/check-in? I don't have a very long connection at ORD.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
I guess I can always ask at the airport. Does it have to be at the ticket counter/check-in? I don't have a very long connection at ORD.
Gate agent is what I have in my notes, for my itinerary (that doesn't start at an airport with AF ticket counters).
Old Aug 26, 2016, 5:13 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I specifically chose AF again for this TATL since my last one had an amazing OLCI deal, but sadly, no offer on ORD-CDG for tomorrow. Maybe because I was booked on DL numbers on 006 stock... or because I used the iPad app to check-in? Who knows.

EF shows: J9 C9 D9 I8 Z7 W7 S7 Y9 B9 M9 U9 K9 H9 L9 Q9 T9 N9 R9 G0

Seems odd that they don't try to sell them. I guess I can always ask at the airport. Does it have to be at the ticket counter/check-in? I don't have a very long connection at ORD.
I might be wrong, but I think there is a correlation between O and A inventory available and upgrade offers via OLCI.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by SDQBound
I might be wrong, but I think there is a correlation between O and A inventory available and upgrade offers via OLCI.
Thanks! My return next week is currently showing A9, so let's see...
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by SDQBound
I think yes, and this can be override at the airport counter. Indeed, I faced the following situation once on ICN-CDG booked in W. I received an OLCI J upgrade offer which I didn't see immediately. When I read the e-mail, I clicked on the link and the offer was not available anymore. I tried several times afterwards and until leaving my hotel and still not available. I asked at the counter and I was able to get it at the same price as offered in the E-mail.
Another time on IAD-CDG, same story except that about 24hrs after 1st unsuccessful attempts, it finally worked. So I suspected that they added some O inventory allowing me to do it.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:36 am

Surprisingly the availability has decreased substantially since yesterday. Maybe it has something to do with the two xld out of JFK last night?

J4 C4 D4 I4 Z3 W7 S7 Y1 B1 M1 U1 K1 G0

With Y numbers so low I could hope for an op-up.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Surprisingly the availability has decreased substantially since yesterday. Maybe it has something to do with the two xld out of JFK last night?

J4 C4 D4 I4 Z3 W7 S7 Y1 B1 M1 U1 K1 G0

With Y numbers so low I could hope for an op-up.
Or others were targeted with upgrade offers and you were not this time
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:17 am

At OLCI, I had a 607€ offer for an upgrade from Y to J. CDG-LAX on AF66, August 30th.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Or others were targeted with upgrade offers and you were not this time
Flight ended up being delayed, which would cause a huge layover in CDG. Thankfully DL agreed to book me on another carrier and with them I was able to upgrade to PE for "only" $350.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: AFKL Platinum/Club 2000, UA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
CDG-TLV, Y (award) to J : 169 euros.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Gold
Offered at OLCI:

GRU-CDG from PE to J: BRL 1490 (EUR 418)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.