Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades for Cash on AF??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by teddy25
If you are on the frequent upgrade list, it's $1300 from Econ to biz.
What do you mean ?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:33 pm

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by Goldorak
What do you mean ?
Air France trying to discourages people from buying Y and then buy a cheap upgrade to J at check in. so they are increasing the price of upgrades at check in to target the the people buys then on the cheap.

At MSP there is a AF flight daily during the summer to CDG,(thanks to MAC paying almost $1mm for), they keep a list of passengers that often buy the upgrades at the gate. If you are on that list, the. They will quote you the $1300 vs the $695 for if you are not on the list.

I saw the list, it had people's name circled and each with a much higher price next to the names.

The local delta agent working on the flight told me it is an AirFrance policy.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by teddy25
Air France trying to discourages people from buying Y and then buy a cheap upgrade to J at check in. so they are increasing the price of upgrades at check in to target the the people buys then on the cheap.

At MSP there is a AF flight daily during the summer to CDG,(thanks to MAC paying almost $1mm for), they keep a list of passengers that often buy the upgrades at the gate. If you are on that list, the. They will quote you the $1300 vs the $695 for if you are not on the list.

I saw the list, it had people's name circled and each with a much higher price next to the names.

The local delta agent working on the flight told me it is an AirFrance policy.
Fair policy IMO (and we were already aware of something like that), but this is the 1st time we hear about a "list" with somebody who saw it and how they are handling it. Thanks for the info ^
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
CDG-IAH tomorrow. $250ish for PremEcon or $558 for business upon check-in.

I grabbed business because it is their brand new 777-300 business class on this routing. Recently won best in class. That's a long flight and while there have been far cheaper prices reported on here, I decided to splurge and try it out.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by DAV2355711
CDG-IAH tomorrow. $250ish for PremEcon or $558 for business upon check-in.

I grabbed business because it is their brand new 777-300 business class on this routing. Recently won best in class. That's a long flight and while there have been far cheaper prices reported on here, I decided to splurge and try it out.
Very good price.
My global impression is that Air France is really trying to fill up the premium cabins with interesting prices for upgrades even from Y to J.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Glad to hear this might be an option for Delta ticketed flights as well - I'm keeping my fingers crossed^ (Have prem econ booked, was tempted by some pretty good business fares but decided to save my money and buy more wine on vacation)
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Glad to hear this might be an option for Delta ticketed flights as well - I'm keeping my fingers crossed^ (Have prem econ booked, was tempted by some pretty good business fares but decided to save my money and buy more wine on vacation)
Might not be offered during OLCI, but it never hurts to ask.
I was recently travelling with Goldorak: he got an online offer and I did not. Apart from the jokes about him being LTPE and me almost-LTPE , I just went to the SkyP check-in counter at the airport and the agent processed my upgrade for the exact same price on the spot.
So it never hurts to ask!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I've been offered buy-ups from W to J during OLCI many times. I'm also a DL GM and my tickets are always 006. I've never taken them up on it but sometimes get the upgrade anyway as an op-up at the gate.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by SDQBound
I see that you are a DL DM. Was your flight on a DL-Codeshare or AF flight number?
I'm asking because , long time ago, I received an upgrade offer on a DL-Codeshare, but I have not seen another one ever since. Not too long ago, someone traveling with me received an offer during check-in (we were both doing OLCI at the same time), this person received an offer (AF coded flight) and I didn't (DL-Codeshare). A third person did OLCI right after we did, and this person also got an offer (also AF flight number).
Thanks for all the info in this thread. I've read nearly the entire thing and found it helpful.

I'm flying JFK -> CDG in a few weeks on AF in their 77W (4-class V2 according to Seat Guru). It's a DL 006 ticket, so Delta codeshare flight. I currently have a W ticket and am a DL GM (FB Gold).

I know cash upgrade opportunities are never guaranteed, but I'd at least like to do what I can to have the best chance. After reading this thread, here is my plan. I'm very much open to feedback and suggestions.

1. Add my email and phone number to AF itinerary under My Reservations. I tried making an AF account and importing the trip, but this bombed (We cannot add this reservation to your account. We apologize for the inconvenience.) I assume this is because it's a DL ticket. So perhaps I'll get an email with an offer in the days before the flight.

2. Check back in the days before the flight under My Reservations. This thread mentions MMB (Manage my Bookings), but perhaps this is an old name? When I go to the seat map, perhaps something will be offered.

3. Monitor options during OLCI with Delta (using the app). It is even possible to get an upgrade offer from AF through the DL app?

4. Talk to GA or lounge personnel at JFK after arrival.

Do I have my information straight? Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Keith
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by olivedel
Might not be offered during OLCI, but it never hurts to ask.
I was recently travelling with Goldorak: he got an online offer and I did not. Apart from the jokes about him being LTPE and me almost-LTPE , I just went to the SkyP check-in counter at the airport and the agent processed my upgrade for the exact same price on the spot.
So it never hurts to ask!
There was a post in the most recent couple of pages that an agent was unable to do an upgrade on a Delta ticket, though space was available. Wonder what the difference is? Maybe that was a skyclub and you were at the check-in counter (though one might hope each of those agents would have access to the same actions - maybe not?)

I will ask; I will not hold my breath. I'm one of the few who likes the AF prem econ seat and do not have a problem sleeping in it on a TATL flight.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by olivedel
I was recently travelling with Goldorak: he got an online offer and I did not. Apart from the jokes about him being LTPE and me almost-LTPE
Pffff, you are so...platinum
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by HornsKeith
3. Monitor options during OLCI with Delta (using the app). It is even possible to get an upgrade offer from AF through the DL app?
If you're flying AF, OLCI is done via the AF app or website, not DL.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 4:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
It's a DL 006 ticket, so Delta codeshare flight. I currently have a W ticket and am a DL GM (FB Gold).
W in a DL-issued ticket is equivalent to A in AF, which is the lowest Premium Economy fare.
I know cash upgrade opportunities are never guaranteed, but I'd at least like to do what I can to have the best chance. After reading this thread, here is my plan. I'm very much open to feedback and suggestions.

1. Add my email and phone number to AF itinerary under My Reservations. I tried making an AF account and importing the trip, but this bombed (We cannot add this reservation to your account. We apologize for the inconvenience.) I assume this is because it's a DL ticket. So perhaps I'll get an email with an offer in the days before the flight.

Creating an AF account and adding the number to your reservation will most likely mess everything up. I have a FB account and if I add any AF trip to my profile, it removes my DL number and any benefit associated with it.

2. Check back in the days before the flight under My Reservations. This thread mentions MMB (Manage my Bookings), but perhaps this is an old name? When I go to the seat map, perhaps something will be offered.
It's called "Your Reservations" on the main AF site. You only get an offer through the seat map (in my experience and after reading this thread) during OLCI

Download the AF app and add your reservation (make sure you are not logged with an AF account). It will stay there and you might receive an offer during OLCI. A few months ago I received an upgrade offer from CDG to DXB on a DL ticket while doing OLCI in the AF APP.

4. Talk to GA or lounge personnel at JFK after arrival.
Ask to any check-in agent or ticket sales representative when you arrive JFK.

Do I have my information straight? Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Keith
Old Jun 23, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL GM
Thanks for all the feedback so far. I should have mentioned that I'm not starting my trip in JFK, but flying on a Delta flight to JFK and then on to Charles de Gaulle with AF. So I believe checking in with the Delta app is my only option.

But perhaps I would be able to use the Air France app to look at seat options once I'm in JFK?

Keith
Old Jun 23, 2016, 5:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Thanks for all the feedback so far. I should have mentioned that I'm not starting my trip in JFK, but flying on a Delta flight to JFK and then on to Charles de Gaulle with AF. So I believe checking in with the Delta app is my only option.

But perhaps I would be able to use the Air France app to look at seat options once I'm in JFK?

Keith
You can use your AF APP to view your AF reservation, change seats, etc, but unfortunately your check-in will be handled by Delta. Even if you are not starting your trip with AF, you *might* have to stop by the AF counter to get an AF-issued BP (I say *might* because there have been times when I go straight to the lounge with the DL-issued BP, but more often I have to stop by). You can ask for the upgrade there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.