Upgrades for Cash on AF??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
CDG-SFO

AF84 (CDG-SFO) at 664€. Didn't take it.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:43 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I am flying AF Premium economy RUH-CDG-ORD for the first time in my life I step a foot on an AF metals. Booking class will A fare bucket.

I wonder if I will get an offer for upgrade from W to J and if it is going for the two sectors at the same time and at what stage of travel this offer will be extended and how much roughly?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: AFKL Platinum/Club 2000, UA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I am flying AF Premium economy RUH-CDG-ORD for the first time in my life I step a foot on an AF metals. Booking class will A fare bucket.

I wonder if I will get an offer for upgrade from W to J and if it is going for the two sectors at the same time and at what stage of travel this offer will be extended and how much roughly?
You might get an offer at OLCI when selecting your seat. There are plenty of price reports all over this thread and this one New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017, which will give you an idea of the price range on similar routes. The upgrade is on a per sector basis.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by flyingjapans
You might get an offer at OLCI when selecting your seat. There are plenty of price reports all over this thread and this one New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017, which will give you an idea of the price range on similar routes. The upgrade is on a per sector basis.
I am a member of Delta FFP, would I still get an offer to upgrade or it is restricted to AF/KL FFP members?

When the flights posted in Delta FFP account, would it be the new upgraded class of travel or the originally booked?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AFKL Platinum/Club 2000, UA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I am a member of Delta FFP, would I still get an offer to upgrade or it is restricted to AF/KL FFP members?

When the flights posted in Delta FFP account, would it be the new upgraded class of travel or the originally booked?
Monetized upgrades are sent to select customers but being a Delta FFP member should not harm your chances. Generally it is sent to those who haven't taken advantage of it over a certain period - so that it remains exclusive and does not serve as a safe bet for people who would then always buy Y with the hope to pay less by getting a discounter upgrades.

You will get the miles according to the original fare class. If you were a member of Flying Blue you could earn a few more miles based on the price of the upgrade.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
AF72 CDG-LAX
$477.28 from W to J at OLCI, accepted
Delta ticket stock, outbound on VS was upgraded with 25K SkyMiles about 60 days ahead of departure (SEA-LHR)
So paid $1400 return for the W tickets, $477+25K miles for the upgrades. Pretty pleased with that outcome on this particular trip.
obscure2k, af fp and SDQBound like this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just did JFK-CDG-HKG-CDG-JFK in J, first leg a 772 (so no F) and the rest 77W.
Received an “exceptional” e-mail offer about 2 days before travel to upgrade the CDG-HKG leg for €1,500. Prob would have considered €1k. Checked back a few times but it didn’t change. Asked at JFK but they said they couldn’t do it, but to try in CDG. At the landslide ticketing desk at CDG, seems the price went up to ~€2k. Cabin went out empty, FWIW.

Did not receive an email offer for the return. Did not ask in HKG, but asked at lounge in CDG for the last leg, and it was also ~€2k.

No F for me!
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:43 am

When <24h before departure the price always goes ridiculously high. Non sense.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA
LIS-CDG-ATL-TPA Was sent email 48 hours before for upgrade W to J for $364 for the CDG-ATL leg. I considered it but was traveling with my father who was horrified of the idea.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
I would have bought it
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Tracker72
LIS-CDG-ATL-TPA Was sent email 48 hours before for upgrade W to J for $364 for the CDG-ATL leg. I considered it but was traveling with my father who was horrified of the idea.
that was a good deal....i would have taken it....
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA, AA
I agree but my dad wanted us to stay together (he is hard of hearing & also had a hard operating the tv, seat, etc both directions). If I was solo I'd been on it a heartbeat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.