FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France Frequence Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus-376/)
-   -   Upgrades for Cash on AF?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/1245050-upgrades-cash-af.html)

InTokyo Aug 6, 2011 9:10 am

Upgrades for Cash on AF??

Hello AF flyers!

I'm flying AF to Abu Dhabi next week and booked in Economy and was wondering if AF offers cash upgrades during check-in, at the gate, or any other time?

United offers it almost all the time for a reasonable price (example $999 one way ORD-NRT from Y to C).

How about Air France?

Thank You.

orbitmic Aug 6, 2011 9:17 am

Not as yet even though they have told us about introducing some such upgrade system over the next few months.

InTokyo Aug 6, 2011 9:23 am

Oh no!!!!!!!

So I suppose the only way to escape economy is to pay the full difference?

KLflyerRalph Aug 6, 2011 10:15 am

Originally Posted by InTokyo (Post 16870808)
Oh no!!!!!!!

So I suppose the only way to escape economy is to pay the full difference?

Yes, or a very unlikely opup.

am3n3 Aug 8, 2011 3:27 am

Sorry to hijack the thread, but odd that this question came up 2 days before I got the following email from AF offering an upgrade to Affaires for my HKG-CDG flight next Monday, which says:

"Air France is pleased to offer you an exceptional upgrade to the Affaires Voyageur cabin.
Don’t miss out on this opportunity!

To take advantage of this offer, simply choose the cabin to which you wish to be upgraded and
fill out the registration form. Please note that there is a limited number of seats available for this offer.

We will contact you within 5 days of your departure to inform you of whether we were able to fulfill your request."

The current seat buckets look like this, so I wouldn't have expected an op-up since it doesn't look full in Y:
J9 C9 D9 I9 Z9 O9 W9 S9 A2 Y4 B4 M4 U3 K2 H2 G0

I'm in Y at the moment, and AF is offering the upgrade for 339 EUR--my original fare was 667 EUR. I'm FB Gold but have never had op-ups from AF. Should I go for the offer?

orbitmic Aug 8, 2011 3:57 am

Originally Posted by am3n3 (Post 16879375)
Sorry to hijack the thread, but odd that this question came up 2 days before I got the following email from AF offering an upgrade to Affaires for my HKG-CDG flight next Monday, which says:

"Air France is pleased to offer you an exceptional upgrade to the Affaires Voyageur cabin.

To take advantage of this offer, simply choose the cabin to which you wish to be upgraded and
fill out the registration form. Please note that there is a limited number of seats available for this offer.

We will contact you within 5 days of your departure to inform you of whether we were able to fulfill your request."

The current seat buckets look like this, so I wouldn't have expected an op-up since it doesn't look full in Y:

I'm in Y at the moment, and AF is offering the upgrade for 339 EUR--my original fare was 667 EUR. I'm FB Gold but have never had op-ups from AF. Should I go for the offer?

Interesting maybe they are finally experimenting what they have told us. However, this sounds very strange. You mention the 'Affaires voyageur' cabin which sounds to me like a contradiction in terms - I'd double check if they mean Affaires or Premium Voyageur or are they offering both and if so €339 is the price for which?

am3n3 Aug 8, 2011 4:02 am

After I checked out the online registration form, I can confirm that the offer is for Affaires class. No other classes are offered. The form also confirms the upgrade price of 339 EUR, and says they'll contact me within 5 days to notify whether my request is successful. I haven't taken up the offer yet.

KLflyerRalph Aug 8, 2011 4:19 am

That offers seems quite good IMHO.

orbitmic Aug 8, 2011 4:47 am

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph (Post 16879495)
That offers seems quite good IMHO.

I'd personally say average... Im just really puzzled they only try to sell you Affaires and not also PV which is often half empty on many flights.

brunos Aug 8, 2011 5:43 am

Originally Posted by am3n3 (Post 16879375)

Interesting and unusual!
May I ask what kind of Y fare you got?

Loads in premium cabins has been low in HKG, at least for the non-leisure config. So extensive upgrading takes place. Looking at your data (Y4 B4), yield management would keep Y open even if it is oversold as they might have 50 J seats available for upgrade. Actually, during the summer, there few J pax, so on a 77W with 8P and 67J, they have a huge number of available seats. With Y4 B4, it seems clear indication that the overbooking has already started.
AF would prefer to get 339 (one way) rather than 0, but this is a new practice IMO. Would be interesting to know how they set the upgrade price (seems quite cheap). Note that one can get a fairly flexible biz fare to Europe for approx EUR2200 (some Z fare). If you add your 667 Y fare (probably inflexible) plus two upgrades, you get EUR1350, not a bad deal but no certainty and probably inflexible fare. Of course, if you had paid a higher Y fare, the difference with Z fare would be less attractive.

am3n3 Aug 8, 2011 6:11 am

My HKG-CDG segment is in T.
I think I'm sold on the offer if I can revive my dead laptop, and take advantage of in-seat power. And based on the advice so far, I'm leaning towards a yes on this one regardless, and will decide by tomorrow at the latest.

In summer 2009 my husband (a plat) got op-upped both ways with KL on AMS-HKG-AMS. Sadly the flight didn't have huijses not already in my collection.

brunos Aug 8, 2011 6:16 am

Originally Posted by am3n3 (Post 16879849)
My HKG-CDG segment is in T.
I think I'm sold on the offer if I can revive my dead laptop, and take advantage of in-seat power. And based on the advice so far, I'm leaning towards a yes on this one regardless, and will decide by tomorrow at the latest.

In summer 2009 my husband (a plat) got op-upped both ways with KL on AMS-HKG-AMS. Sadly the flight didn't have huijses not already in my collection.

Sorry to bother you again. Did you buy your ticket originating in HKG? I am wondering why you got targeted, or whether they send the email to all pax on the flight.
Confirmed upgrade (5 days prior to departure) from Y to Business class for a mere EUR339 is a WONDERFUL deal. I would not hesitate one instant.

am3n3 Aug 8, 2011 6:30 am

No worries!
I bought my tix on eBookers, which I guess is ex-UK somewhere. This is the 1st or 2nd time I've been email-targeted for upgrades, but it would be nice to do this one and not squander my hard-earned miles.

Goldorak Aug 8, 2011 12:36 pm

This is an excellent deal really and I would jump on it if I were you. But I'm still wondering if there is no mistake and in fact are proposing upgrades to PV and not J ? Come on : 339€ from Y to J :confused: ? And especially from T which is a discounted Y fare, if I'm not mistaken. So how much is the upgrade from PV to J ? 150 € ?
This is almost an insult for paying J pax :eek:

ranskis Aug 8, 2011 2:45 pm

If you get J miles (175%+elite bonus) for the price, that is for sure a good deal! it could be around 10000-15000 miles extra in case you are already Elite+.