Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades for Cash on AF??

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: MP Silver / DM /SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Ditto
You might get an offer to your e-mail few days before, you might get it at OLCI, and if none of the 2 it never hurts to ask at the check in counter.
There is really no way of saying, all depends on how full the flights are, offer might be to one or both of the legs, and to either PE and/or J.
Got it, thanks. Appreciate the help, and figured that might be the case. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I needed to (or could) sign up for (e.g., "Optiontown", "PlusGrade" are used for some of the Star Alliance carriers).

I won't feel as self-conscious asking at check-in since returns legs are already in Affaires.

Will post what, if anything, happens, including price.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:11 am

Delta marketed upgrade?

Hi Guys, I was wondering if you get these upgrades for cash as well if you book through DL on AF metal. Currently diamond on delta but contemplating booking through AF if DL does not offer these upgrades for cash on AF metal as I'm looking at a pretty full load on the flight.

Appreciate the help!
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Fly2900
Hi Guys, I was wondering if you get these upgrades for cash as well if you book through DL on AF metal. Currently diamond on delta but contemplating booking through AF if DL does not offer these upgrades for cash on AF metal as I'm looking at a pretty full load on the flight.

Appreciate the help!
If you read this thread, you will see such reports. So yes, you may get that kind of offer if booked through DL.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 11:59 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Fly2900

Appreciate the help!
Yes, they might be offered during OLCI, however, not possible at the counter or at the lounge. I tried to upgrade last friday at the AF lounge and although there were available seats, the agent could not do it on a DL-issued ticket.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by mpheels
Flying IAD-CDG tonight (flight #055). Upgrade from W to J offered at check in yesterday for $269 per person - my mom and I are celebrating her retirement, so we jumped at the offer. Tickets purchased through a travel agent.
No offer via email or OLCI for the return CDG-IAD on June 2 (flight #026). We were flying FCO-CDG-IAD. The ticket counter/bag drop at FCO was chaotic and crowded, so I did not ask about upgrading there. I asked the gate agent at CDG, and she quoted the upgrade from W to J as nearly 1300 euros per person. Did not take that offer - W was perfectly comfortable for the day time flight, especially the the window/aisle seat pair for two people traveling together.

I was a bit surprised because J was looking especially empty, with 30 open seats as of May 30. I saw at least 4 people move from Y to J once the seat belt light was turned off.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
No offer via email or OLCI for the return CDG-IAD on June 2 (flight #026). We were flying FCO-CDG-IAD. The ticket counter/bag drop at FCO was chaotic and crowded, so I did not ask about upgrading there. I asked the gate agent at CDG, and she quoted the upgrade from W to J as nearly 1300 euros per person. Did not take that offer - W was perfectly comfortable for the day time flight, especially the the window/aisle seat pair for two people traveling together.

I was a bit surprised because J was looking especially empty, with 30 open seats as of May 30. I saw at least 4 people move from Y to J once the seat belt light was turned off.
4 people just self upgraded in the air? Did the FAs do anything about it?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
4 people just self upgraded in the air? Did the FAs do anything about it?
Very likely some AF staff/non-rev or family/friends
Old Jun 3, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: MP Silver / DM /SkyMiles

Sorry about the lack of an upgrade offer (for any reasonable fare). Did people actually try to sit in J with Y tickets after takeoff? Surely the cabin crew would kick them out immediately, right?

For my IAD-CDG-BOM flight, when I purchased (and still the case), the Y fare is about $625 and $850 cheaper than W and J, respectively, for the outbound legs (already returning in J). So if the upgrade offers are more than $450 and $750 for W and J, respectively, for both legs, I won't accept (as I would have just bought the original Z fare when I booked the flights). Price difference on return flights was about $450 between Y and J, making the decision to purchase J a no-brainer.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Goldorak
4 pax?

1 friend +3 family?

2 friends +2 family?

1 MP, his/her assistant and 2 ppl of lesser importance?

Who knows...
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Definitely family/friends or some such... The FAs held the curtain open and helped the passengers put their bags in the overhead.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: Many
If we start discussing about non-rev onboard upgrade then we should remove the word "cash" from that thread

Just saying...
Old Jun 4, 2016, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
The FAs held the curtain open and helped the passengers put their bags in the overhead.
I guess that answers my question about what the FAs did about it
Old Jun 13, 2016, 5:13 am

Programs: Many
My wife and I recently upgraded 2 tickets SIN-CDG (on different PNR):
- I received the "offre de surclassement exceptionnelle" email before the 30 hours check-in opening : 349 to W, 815 EUR to J, from the cheapest ex-Belgium R fare (less than 600 EUR RT). Took it to J.
- Several hours later when checking-in my wife, AF offered the OLCI upgrade to J for 785 EUR (cannot remember for W). Original fare was R as well, albeit 100 EUR higher than mine because ex-FR. Took it as well.

J class ended full eventually.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by expatOWflyer
On a Z ticket AMS-CDG-SIN(RT) for a short break and was offered upgrade to La Premiere for 2k EUR at the 2F lounge . Didn't take them up on the offer as it felt a little steep. There seems to be a pattern as I was in W several times and was offered with a high level of frequency ^, even at the self check in desks. Go figure

If I may ask, what were you doing in 2F lounge?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: AOPA
Tonight's MSP-CDG:
Econ - biz $695
Econ - prem Econ $302
Prem - biz $432

If you are on the frequent upgrade list, it's $1300 from Econ to biz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.