Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2023 Aeroplan Elite Status Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 9, 2022, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
2023 Benefits Update

There are very few changes to the program for 2023, except at the 35K level; see the first few posts of the thread for details.

For information on 2022 benefits, please see this thread.

Key updates:
  • Several changes to 35K
    • No more MLL access (from June 1)
    • Additional eUps for Select Privilege
    • Priority baggage handling (AC flights only)
    • Expanded Priority Rewards
  • 50K and up get access to Virgin Australia lounges
  • December 15 deadline to be approved for a Premium CC to enjoy rollover benefits

Ongoing Benefits With Dedicated Threads

Many benefits stay fairly consistent from year to year and have dedicated threads with detailed information. For questions and information on these topics, please visit these threads rather than posting here:
Print Wikipost

2023 Aeroplan Elite Status Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2022, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by atsak
Oh, I was going to try for 35K status since I was just a couple hundred dollars short. Won't bother now. I have Plaza Premium anyway and I was just thinking it was nice to have choice; get group 2 with 25K and credit card anyway.

Glad they at least warned of this enhancement.
The change doesn't go into effect until June 2023, so if you have a bunch of travel in early 2023, it might be worthwhile.

Originally Posted by trek604
E35K gets priority bags now though. Not that bad a of tradeoff losing the MLL.
Really? I could care less about priority bags, the execution is a grab bag anyways. It's hard to find a priority flag when using the kiosks (although it's coded into the tag as well). And when it comes out, Priority can either be first, last, or somewhere in the middle. Basically meaningless, and last bag doesn't always take that long to come out.
worldtraveller73 likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 26, 2022 at 5:11 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Oct 26, 2022, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by zkzkz
So..... Anyone know any way to get 15k status miles in the next two months?

Asking for a friend......
YUL-GRU-EZE in PY is just over 15k
Old Oct 26, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Interesting that no one here seemed to have picked up on it, because the VA partnership thread only contained mention of the VA pax's access to MLLs, and someone asked a couple weeks ago whether their AC status would get them into the VA lounges and no one answered.
That was me. I did some research after the fact and found language on the VA site to suggest I could get in but nothing to confirm I could guest in Mrs. Allbrosca. This confirms it.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 4:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by zappy312
Really? I could care less about priority bags, the execution is a grab bag anyways. It's hard to find a priority flag when using the kiosks (although it's coded into the tag as well). And when it comes out, Priority can either be first, last, or somewhere in the middle. Basically meaningless, and last bag doesn't always take that long to come out.
I am not sure about others’ experience but for me, my bag is always among the first several to come out at the baggage claim. I’d say it is pretty handy.

Of course, having priority tag with fragile label did not prevent some of my travel items from getting damaged so maybe the priority tag does have its limit.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
I guess but my thinking was for an E35K you can't buy priority baggage unless you upfare. There are numerous other ways to gain entry into a domestic MLL.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 4:46 pm
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by yvr76
Not sure why people are worked up about CC access via lounges. These cards have a $600 annual fee and steep minimum income requirements. The comparable MLL Club membership is $375.

My main issue with the program is Zone 2 boarding access for P25K and E35K.
Agreed. I’m not sure who this FOTSG is that has a $599 annual fee credit card with an airline… Like why would you choose an expensive rewards card with benefits you would barely use? Even if this person did exist, they would make use of the lounge twice each year which probably doesn’t exactly equate to crowding issues. Especially versus those that are flying often enough to earn 35k status.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 5:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by wjw
Agreed. I’m not sure who this FOTSG is that has a $599 annual fee credit card with an airline… Like why would you choose an expensive rewards card with benefits you would barely use? Even if this person did exist, they would make use of the lounge twice each year which probably doesn’t exactly equate to crowding issues. Especially versus those that are flying often enough to earn 35k status.
Maybe they is a frequent basic economy flyer. $599 is way less than what they can save by flying BE, but they gets all the other benefits and award points from the card regardless.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 5:14 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by wjw
Travel is aspirational. A lot of people who don't fly a ton have airline rewards credit cards because it lets them build up frequent flyer points for that dream vacation, even if they don't fly very often. And some of these people make quite a bit of money, so don't care that much about the fee, and they may even get fees waived or reduced as part of their packages with the bank - multi-product discounts, private banking, things like that. And there are lots of people out there who travel a bit and don't spend a lot of time analysing the value of these things. The marketing materials for the premium cards sound good, and they don't think about what it would cost them to buy lounge access or just spend money in an airport restaurant on their handful of trips a year, they just like the simplicity of having the premium card and getting the benefits.
unclepants, m.y, Bohemian1 and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 5:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
The change doesn't go into effect until June 2023, so if you have a bunch of travel in early 2023, it might be worthwhile.
You're right of course, but my travel is drastically curtailed this year and likely for the foreseeable future anyway (dropped from about 75 flights a year pre COVID to maybe 10 or 20). It likely wasn't worth it regardless but I thought that maybe I'd stretch just in case it picked up again next year unexpectedly. Definitely doesn't make sense now. Still might make it by accident but certainly won't be putting in a mileage run if I don't, for example. Also I bought business class on a trip to Boston I wouldn't have if I knew this sooner, so that's a little irritating, but it's not like I don't work the system to my advantage at every opportunity so no reason I should expect anything else of AC.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 5:34 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Happy to see the VA lounge access....although really just means that I don't have to pull out my Amex card.

All we need is priority boarding there and we are set in Australia !
Old Oct 26, 2022, 5:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by wjw
Sorry, someone paged me? My card also gives me a Companion pass yearly with a min spend, and I use that to make TWO trips a year, thankyouverymuch. Usually at least 1 to Asia, and then one to visit family in Canada. 35k + CC Benefits mean most of my trips have been in relative luxury compared to flying Y to Asia and the East Coast previously. I'd love to travel more, but I don't have the time off for it so my card suits my travel style just fine.
Adam Smith and beanie72 like this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 6:49 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by wjw
Agreed. I’m not sure who this FOTSG is that has a $599 annual fee credit card with an airline… Like why would you choose an expensive rewards card with benefits you would barely use?
Same reason a person with SE benefits might choose an expensive rewards card whose benefits they already get from their FF status: because it has enough benefits that DO apply, to make it worthwhile.

I don't need free checked bags or priority boarding, but rolling over eUps is a huge benefit, as are bonus SQM.

A FOTSG who spends a lot on their credit card might find sufficiently compelling value to justify a top-tier CC just from the Aeroplan earning bonuses alone.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
That was announced in September, there's nothing new there.

Missed it completely. Thanks!
Old Oct 26, 2022, 8:07 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by YOWgary

A FOTSG who spends a lot on their credit card might find sufficiently compelling value to justify a top-tier CC just from the Aeroplan earning bonuses alone.
This would be me. I probably only take 3 or 4 round trips per year by air, but I sign up for the cards to collect the miles; both from spend and sign up bonuses.

I would never use the travel benefits of my card or status, because you would never see me fly economy. I've never once used an eupgrade and all I've ever had have expired. I would either redeem miles for J or F, or sometimes just pay cash for J or F. Buying economy or PE is just not something I would do.

The only other perk I benefit from with the card, is a slight discount on redemptions.

My credit card doesn't contribute to any crowding in the lounge or priority boarding line, because I would be there with or without it, on account of the tickets I buy.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Changeup2000
I totally agree with you on this. In the past, I routinely dissuaded people from spending to get 25K, but would say it might be worth it to spend a little bit for 35K. Now, I would most likely say it is not worth it.
Counter argument here - as a domestic business traveler, the new 35k perks add a lot of value. Being able to redeem priority rewards in PE and for sun destinations, as well as extra eupgrade credits makes a difference over 25k. It also means that a premium credit card is not duplicative.
Adam Smith and TechnoTourist like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.