Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2023 Aeroplan Elite Status Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 9, 2022, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
2023 Benefits Update

There are very few changes to the program for 2023, except at the 35K level; see the first few posts of the thread for details.

For information on 2022 benefits, please see this thread.

Key updates:
  • Several changes to 35K
    • No more MLL access (from June 1)
    • Additional eUps for Select Privilege
    • Priority baggage handling (AC flights only)
    • Expanded Priority Rewards
  • 50K and up get access to Virgin Australia lounges
  • December 15 deadline to be approved for a Premium CC to enjoy rollover benefits

Ongoing Benefits With Dedicated Threads

Many benefits stay fairly consistent from year to year and have dedicated threads with detailed information. For questions and information on these topics, please visit these threads rather than posting here:
Print Wikipost

2023 Aeroplan Elite Status Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
I don't believe that is the case. I think 25K gets Zone 3, at best.
Not according to this thread: Zoned Boarding (2020 onwards)

And I get personal anecdotes that 25K members still enjoy zone 2 boarding. Granted, the official boarding rule from Air Canada website appears to state otherwise:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ne.html#/Board with zone 2*:
  • when you travel in Premium Economy Class, or in Premium Rouge on an international flight
  • when you purchase a Latitude fare as an Aeroplan 75K, 50K, 35K, 25K, or Star Alliance Gold member
  • as the Primary or Secondary Cardholder on Aeroplan black credit cards (TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege, CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege, American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card, American Express®* Aeroplan® Business Reserve Card, American Express®* Aeroplan® Corporate Reserve Card)

My take is a missing "or" in the sentence "when you purchase a Latitude fare (or) as an Aeroplan 75K, 50K, 35K, 25K, or Star Alliance Gold member", because all other elite members do not seem to need Latitude fare to qualify for zone 2.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
This will no doubt increase applications for the premium credit cards in the short term, by many of those who have tended to meet 35K requirements but don't fly enough to usually make 50K.
But there are a lot of frequent flyers who just about make 35K, who I think will stop spending extra and flying more to make 35K now that there is no lounge access. Many can't justify the high annual fee of the premium credit cards.
I think for new flyers this will also make it harder to get them "addicted" to status and chasing higher levels. I know when I first got status it was the benefit I appreciated the most. I am not sure back then I would have paid the high annual fee for a premium credit card.
This move might as a result backfire a little on Air Canada in terms of revenue from passengers actually flying. But maybe this just proves that revenue from credit cards is as profitable as has been suspected.
dr_torch likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: hahaha
A lot of care and detail went into writing the FAQ this time around but they also name-dropped the Newark MLL into the last FAQ. Hopefully it's not an error and we have more news on their Terminal A plans soon
gigafishing likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by PaulYK
I think for new flyers this will also make it harder to get them "addicted" to status and chasing higher levels. I know when I first got status it was the benefit I appreciated the most. I am not sure back then I would have paid the high annual fee for a premium credit card.
This move might as a result backfire a little on Air Canada in terms of revenue from passengers actually flying. But maybe this just proves that revenue from credit cards is as profitable as has been suspected.
I totally agree with you on this. In the past, I routinely dissuaded people from spending to get 25K, but would say it might be worth it to spend a little bit for 35K. Now, I would most likely say it is not worth it.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
It says "Members with Aeroplan 50K, 75K and Super Elite Status, plus one additional guest, can now enjoy access to Virgin Australia lounges when departing on a Virgin Australia or Air Canada flight from that airport."

I'm flying VA next week. Will be nice to have this benefit assuming "now" really means as of today.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
It was just meant as a piece of factual information, but I'm glad it made you laugh
Yes, I know. And I found it factual as well. But it still made me laugh.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
It says "Members with Aeroplan 50K, 75K and Super Elite Status, plus one additional guest, can now enjoy access to Virgin Australia lounges when departing on a Virgin Australia or Air Canada flight from that airport."

I'm flying VA next week. Will be nice to have this benefit assuming "now" really means as of today.
i think it's already effective: https://loyaltylobby.com/2022/09/07/...lounge-access/

using google's verbatim search, i can't find the AC press release for that block of text they quoted, though
canadiancow and Adam Smith like this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev

I believe it was effective September, IIRC. Cannot find the thread or news here, though.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 1:10 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by asovse1
i think it's already effective: https://loyaltylobby.com/2022/09/07/...lounge-access/

using google's verbatim search, i can't find the AC press release for that block of text they quoted, though
Interesting that no one here seemed to have picked up on it, because the VA partnership thread only contained mention of the VA pax's access to MLLs, and someone asked a couple weeks ago whether their AC status would get them into the VA lounges and no one answered.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 1:14 pm

It doesn't help that that VA's lounge eligibility page doesn't mention Aeroplan Elite access either, nor is it mentioned in the Aeroplan Elite Status benefits page

The blog posts that did pick up on it did not link to an official AC source, so it must have been a press release sent out to bloggers only lol

I guess the first official mention we have is with today's news, but it strongly hints that VA lounge access would only work starting with your 2023 benefits, which the blog posts clearly contradict. AC should have marketed this better!!
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Solar56
Overall, feels like this is a good change for many 35k members - especially those who typically travel J/F
If you travel in J, it doesn't really change much.

Originally Posted by Changeup2000
Not according to this thread: Zoned Boarding (2020 onwards)

And I get personal anecdotes that 25K members still enjoy zone 2 boarding. Granted, the official boarding rule from Air Canada website appears to state otherwise:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ne.html#/Board with zone 2*:
  • when you travel in Premium Economy Class, or in Premium Rouge on an international flight
  • when you purchase a Latitude fare as an Aeroplan 75K, 50K, 35K, 25K, or Star Alliance Gold member
  • as the Primary or Secondary Cardholder on Aeroplan black credit cards (TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege, CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege, American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card, American Express®* Aeroplan® Business Reserve Card, American Express®* Aeroplan® Corporate Reserve Card)

My take is a missing "or" in the sentence "when you purchase a Latitude fare (or) as an Aeroplan 75K, 50K, 35K, 25K, or Star Alliance Gold member", because all other elite members do not seem to need Latitude fare to qualify for zone 2.
That's been pointed out many times. It's missing a new line and a bullet between "fare" and "as".
Old Oct 26, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Wondering if I should do a segment run for E50K lol.

I have 38 segments and I will fly 3 right now before the end of the year. So that is 41 ... only 9 left.

If only we still have double segments
Old Oct 26, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Delta [must] have enough customers spending enough on their AMEX-branded cards to pay 750k miles one-way for dynamically-priced DeltaOne, so perhaps they have less of a need to incentivize spending on their CCs than AA does?
(I realize Aeroplan pricing sometimes leads to similarly fantastically-priced flights... but I'm US-based so I know Delta better for this practice)
Old Oct 26, 2022, 2:54 pm

So..... Anyone know any way to get 15k status miles in the next two months?

Asking for a friend......
Old Oct 26, 2022, 3:07 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by zkzkz
So..... Anyone know any way to get 15k status miles in the next two months?

Asking for a friend......
If it were a month ago.. a return in Flex to LHR (or anywhere in EU) would have done it.

Ron.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.