Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2023 Aeroplan Elite Status Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 9, 2022, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
2023 Benefits Update

There are very few changes to the program for 2023, except at the 35K level; see the first few posts of the thread for details.

For information on 2022 benefits, please see this thread.

Key updates:
  • Several changes to 35K
    • No more MLL access (from June 1)
    • Additional eUps for Select Privilege
    • Priority baggage handling (AC flights only)
    • Expanded Priority Rewards
  • 50K and up get access to Virgin Australia lounges
  • December 15 deadline to be approved for a Premium CC to enjoy rollover benefits

Ongoing Benefits With Dedicated Threads

Many benefits stay fairly consistent from year to year and have dedicated threads with detailed information. For questions and information on these topics, please visit these threads rather than posting here:
Print Wikipost

2023 Aeroplan Elite Status Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2022, 12:17 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
(What's FOTSG stand for?)
Old Oct 27, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
FT Acronyms and Terms for Dummies

Check this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 12:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Fly Once To See Grandma
Old Oct 27, 2022, 12:21 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Fly Once To See Grandma
Old Oct 27, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by acysb87
Exactly what I used to do on YYZ/BGI route
Dreamliner service during peak season/winter months.
YYZ-BGI changeover from Rouge to mainline (Dreamliner) is Sunday.

As was said, one of the few Caribbean routes with PY and J pods. To bad it does not qualify for the signature suite lounge!!
acysb87 and expert7700 like this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 12:24 pm

(Fly Once To See Grandma - essentially folks who don't generally board planes unless they need to visit family, and may only do so once a year or so.)
Old Oct 27, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by wjw

I think Air Canada just had to do something to alleviate crowding in the Domestic and Transborder lounges and it was easier to cut the 35K's out than it would be to cut the $600 credit cards out. Essentially evens the playing field with the International MLL's which in my experience haven't really been hit with as severe crowding issues, at least based on the comments I've read. I don't fly domestic/transborder so never in them to see how bad they've gotten. Although I will be in the YUL Domestic MLL for a short jaunt on a TATL that I couldn't route direct to YYZ in November!
It could be that. But, my feeling is that it's less about trying to free up space in the lounge, or trying to screw over the 35K members, and more about simply trying to issue more premium credit cards. AC behaviors over recent years continues to point to the value they get from their co-branded credit cards. They want more of them out there. It's not that they don't want more people flying. They might think they more ability to grow their credit card sales with a few program tweaks than they do ticket sales. Many people out there in the land of John and Jane Public may not want to spend $600 for a premium card, but if you were to try to pick a demographic that just might be encouraged to get one, it's those economy fliers with lower airline status that come to mind. These are people who may well have a need for the benefits of those cards. Maybe pulling back the lounge access is just what AC thinks it will take to motivate a bunch more 35Ks to bite the bullet and sign up for a metal Amex or Visa?
Old Oct 27, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by Changeup2000
I think it was yyznomad who coined the term, but I could be wrong. Maybe DrunkCargo ??
Old Oct 27, 2022, 2:42 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Is it even a thing?
Yes they do exist. I received a paper one in 2019.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
We have different views of what a "FOTSG" is then. To me, it's a state of mind more than a question of how much someone actually travels . I have friends who are SEs (one is SEMM!) that I would call FOTSGs because they're very unsophisticated in their knowledge of Aeroplan, status, etc. Meanwhile, there are some on this board who don't fly a ton, yet are far better informed than my FOTSG SE friends, and I would not refer to those people as "FOTSGs", even if they only take one or two trips a year.
I think I'm offended!
Old Oct 27, 2022, 4:42 pm

I've been E35K for a number of years with relatively heavy travel but unfortunately work for a company that has an economy only policy. I could usually plan my travel to land on AC but frankly now will have no less motivation to. Sure the miles are nice and consolidating to one airline is preferable, but I did find the option to use MLL made travel a lot more pleasant. It's their business, they can set whatever rules they want but I think they'll lose business travelers like me
Old Oct 27, 2022, 7:12 pm
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
We have different views of what a "FOTSG" is then. To me, it's a state of mind more than a question of how much someone actually travels . I have friends who are SEs (one is SEMM!) that I would call FOTSGs because they're very unsophisticated in their knowledge of Aeroplan, status, etc. Meanwhile, there are some on this board who don't fly a ton, yet are far better informed than my FOTSG SE friends, and I would not refer to those people as "FOTSGs", even if they only take one or two trips a year.
Haha, yep fair enough! I suppose I’m orthodox in my view of a FOTSG, in that for me it conjures up that person that literally just flies across the country to see family from time-to-time and maybe to the Caribbean every few years (although that would be on sunwing or air transat and not AC).
Old Oct 27, 2022, 7:52 pm

Thought it was Virgin Atlantic lounges and wondered why.
Virgin Australia makes sense for me. I just had a connection flight SYD-BNE-YVR and SYD-BNE was Virgin Australia. SYD domestic terminal does not have Star Alliance lounge, not sure I was entitled to go in Virgin Australia lounge although tempted to ask.

I believe Virgin Atlantic does not have Canadian route and LHR terminal is located in different terminal from AC terminal 2. Also domestic connection is limited. They share North American routes with Delta(Westjet?) for connection. So no benefit for AC/VS.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 7:52 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Titanium
​​​​​​Fly Once a Year To See Grandma
Old Oct 27, 2022, 9:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I see the writing on the wall and just signed up for a premium credit card. The biggest advantage seems to be rolled over SQMs and eupgrades.
Bohemian1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.