Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Status Passes - what are they and how to use them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2021, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
A status pass does not confer your status to the recipient.
So, for example, if you are Super Elite, your beneficiary does not get or have Super Elite privileges. They do not get any kind of Star Alliance Gold privileges.

What is a status pass?
A status pass (sometimes abbreviated as "STPA") grants passengers many of the benefits of elite status (detailed below). One status pass is applied to a booking and extends benefits to all passengers (up to 9), on all flights, on that booking.

The benefits of the STPA don't exactly correspond to any elite tier.

The status pass must be applied before travel commences. It cannot be applied after any flights have been taken. It is unclear whether there is a deadline to apply the pass. A pass can be removed from a booking up to 6 hours before travel commences.

What does a status pass get you?
  • Priority check-in
  • Free checked bags (3 per passenger), with priority baggage handling
  • Priority security
  • Access to Maple Leaf Lounges ("MLL", including international lounges) and Cafés, prior to your departing flight
  • Priority boarding (Zone 2)
  • Priority standby
  • Unpublished benefit: the STPA seems to confer eUp priority similar to 50K status
  • More details in the FAQ here

What DOESN'T a status pass get you?
  • Access to Signature Suites
  • Access to lounges not operated by AC
  • Free seat selection
  • MLL guesting privileges
  • E50K status (some of the status pass benefits are similar, but are certainly not comprehensively equivalent to E50K)
  • *G status

How does a status pass get added to a reservation?
The pass must be applied by the person with elite status (E50K, E75K, Super Elite). It can be done through the AC app or via the AC website.

In order to apply the pass, you will need the PNR (booking reference) and last name of any of the passengers on the PNR.

How do I know if the Status Pass actually was added? How can the PAX prove to airport staff that they have one?
The person granting the pass should see the pass applied in their Benefits section under Status Pass. Look at sent passes.

cowtool PNR lookup will indicate "A status pass has been applied" for reservations where it has been successfully applied.

The PAX should have "STPA" on their boarding pass.

Are status passes different depending on the status of the person giving the pass?
No. All status passes are the same. Whether the pass was given by an 50K or a Super Elite is irrelevant.

My status pass expires December 31 2023. What does that mean?
The status pass must be applied before the expiry date. The actual travel can take place any time in the future.

Do they work for award and cash bookings?
They can be applied to both.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:46 am
Original Poster

A clarification on the Status Pass: some blogs appear to be indicating this is valid just for one day, eg day of departure, perhaps due to Aeroplan head Mark Nasr during the briefings handily describing the perks as equivalent to being “50K for a day”.

AC has clarified this and confirmed to me that because the Status Pass is attached to an itinerary it covers the entire itinerary, and therefore both legs of a journey - so if the recipient of the pass is flying YVR-LHR return for example, they enjoy those “50K for a day” benefits on both the YVR-LHR and LHR-YVR legs.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by djsflynn
A clarification on the Status Pass: some blogs appear to be indicating this is valid just for one day, eg day of departure, perhaps due to Aeroplan head Mark Nasr during the briefings handily describing the perks as equivalent to being “50K for a day”.

AC has clarified this and confirmed to me that because the Status Pass is attached to an itinerary it covers the entire itinerary, and therefore both legs of a journey - so if the recipient of the pass is flying YVR-LHR return for example, they enjoy those “50K for a day” benefits on both the YVR-LHR and LHR-YVR legs.
So the return of international MLL access vs the old MLL voucher option.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Aug 8, 2021 at 8:44 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old Aug 25, 2020, 10:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Does the status pass option apply to *A partners? i.e. if I, a SE grant my friend who is flying YYZ-MUC-ZRH in Y a status pass, will he/she be allowed to use the LH Senator lounge in MUC, have priority boarding on that flight, etc?

This new program sounds amazing. There are definitely some disadvantages but overall these are great and very welcome improvements. This is obviously very unimportant but judging the commercials it looks like 25K cards and luggage tags are back
Old Aug 25, 2020, 10:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyztozag
Does the status pass option apply to *A partners? i.e. if I, a SE grant my friend who is flying YYZ-MUC-ZRH in Y a status pass, will he/she be allowed to use the LH Senator lounge in MUC, have priority boarding on that flight, etc?
Extremely unlikely. You can't make someone *G on a PNR. Either their number is *G or it isn't. So that precludes Senator lounges. And if they're in Y, they're not getting into business lounges.

The same goes for priority boarding.

They can easily throw an AC*CC on a BP for benefits on AC flights and in AC lounges, but they can't change how the *A system works.
YOWgary and Adam Smith like this.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 10:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Extremely unlikely. You can't make someone *G on a PNR. Either their number is *G or it isn't. So that precludes Senator lounges. And if they're in Y, they're not getting into business lounges.

The same goes for priority boarding.

They can easily throw an AC*CC on a BP for benefits on AC flights and in AC lounges, but they can't change how the *A system works.
That's about what I expected; they could expand and form partnerships in the future, for instance with LH group, but even that seems a little too good to be true.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 6:02 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Status Pass; Has anyone used these yet?

Has anyone used these yet? I appear to have 4 despite not having chosen it as a select benefit. Did they give everyone over E50 a chance to try them out?
Old Mar 19, 2021, 7:11 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
I seem to have one and also did not choose it as a select benefit.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I have one of these and tried to give it to a friend who is traveling a week from now. I entered her PNR and last name, and hit SEND. The envelope closed, then reopened and nothing happened. Anyone else have any luck?

Edit: I may have found the problem. Seems there was a schedule change. Waiting for friend to accept it and will try again. Would have been nice if AC/AE had told me what the issue was.

Last edited by margarita girl; Mar 24, 2021 at 5:31 am
Old Mar 25, 2021, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I called AC and they accepted the change on my friend’s reservation, but I still couldn’t apply the Status Pass. Agent said it was probably due to the fact it was an award ticket, but I see no such restrictions on the website. Does anyone have any idea if this is correct? Or any experience in applying these status passes?

BTW, like the other posters, I don’t recall selecting this as a choice benefit but there is 1 in my account.

TIA
Old Mar 25, 2021, 5:44 am

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
I am not sure of the answer to your first question, but in terms of the mystery of the unchosen benefit in your account, I have the same and believe it was AC/AP providing E50/E75 with 1 pass each to try the benefit out. SE's received more, but cannot recall how many.

Hopefully they will iron out the bugs before your try and use again

CC
margarita girl and unclepants like this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I couldn’t make it work, but I called AE (not AC) and agent was able to apply the status pass (and it has now been removed from my account). Apparently, they are valid with revenue and reward tickets.

Hope this helps someone else.
unclepants, 24left and kalderlake like this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 4:56 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
As an SE MM I ended up with four status passes without selecting them.

This OMAT blog talks about the one one free for E50 this year. https://onemileatatime.com/air-canad...n-status-pass/
margarita girl likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
All SEs got 4 for free, I believe.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 12:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Accor Diamond
I applied a status pass to a colleague that needed to travel for death in her family. It worked immediately and was applied to everyone in her reservation (4pax). Will report back when she’s back in a couple of weeks
24left likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 8:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I thought the status pass was limited to one passenger? I thought status pass was valid for only 1 day?
Do the status pass T and C's state that status pass applies to i passenger or I pnr/reservation?
If the latter, it would apply to return flights as well as the outgoing flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.